Local show at Blue Ridge Technical College

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I headed out yesterday morning to the local tech school for their annual car show. As usual I was the only 71 73 there. Quite a group came up from Charlotte several had lots of interest in the 73 vert since it was original. Several of them had seen my Mach 1 in the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum.

They are having a show for their club at the MOM the end of June that I am going to try to attend. The Carpenter museum will also be open they tell me. So if you have never seen the Carpenter collection you should take advantage and go view, it is free. The MOM does charge.

The odd vehicles at the show I had seen one before, 1914 Model T. Blue not black was before Henry went to all black. Still has the original upholstery with the horse hair stuffing. They drive this brass era Model T to all the shows in the area even with it being 90 deg. no issues. It cranks up with on pull of the crank and runs smooth.

Now the other odd ball was an REO Speedwagon 1917 model. They cranked it several times so people could watch the valve system that was external back then no valve covers. The lifters are in the open, pushrods, rockers and valve springs. It actually had roller tip rockers.

What makes it really interesting is that it was pulled from Lake Lure, where dirty dancing was filmed, after being completely submerged for 27 years. The people that found it had heard stories about a fire truck that was left at the bottom of the lake when it was filled. They kept asking questions of locals and found out it was not a fire truck but a farm truck used to haul apples to market back in the day. They kept asking questions and got a general location and went out in boat with magnet on string and found it. They got some help from a local scuba diver and used barrels to make a barge and lifted it up back in 1971. It was missing some pieces but pretty complete. The engine was not locked up. When they tore it down they soaked the piston rings in kerosene and cleaned and put back together. It purrs like a new engine. If in fresh water they hold up much better than in ocean.

I will see if one of the club members got some pics and add I forgot camera as usual.

They only gave a few awards but they were really nice. The welding shop class made them and paint shop finished them. Were laser cut from steel and probably weighed 10 lbs. Looked like an engine with blower and all and were really unique not a cheesy trophy.

When I live in S.C. they went to lake Murray in Columbia, S.C. and lifted a couple of the Doolittle bombers that crashed in the lake. They practiced bombing runs for the Japan attach in the area. I use to have one of the 200 lb. practice bombs they used. You could to the practice area and they were just laying around in the woods were filled with sand to practice with. Someone stole the one I had hanging on the side of the garage.

They said the planes were in fantastic shape and would be rebuilt and fly again. The gauges were still good. This was back in the early 90's when they pulled them out.

The town my dad was born in is now under Fontana Lake in the mountains. He was born in Japan, North Carolina. They were in a rush to get the lake going and did not tear down the town so it still exists under the lake. In really dry times some buildings come out of the water.

Hi 

do you have any pics? - real interesting  ::beer::  submerged for 27 years. 

You reminded me of Hucknall, Nottinghamshire Rolls Royce being give a Merlin engine that had been at the bottom of a Lake in France that was in there since WWII 

they not only restored it - they ran it up and it delivered 1100hp  on it's first pull   :-/

Hi 

do you have any pics? - real interesting  ::beer::  submerged for 27 years. 

You reminded me of Hucknall, Nottinghamshire Rolls Royce being give a Merlin engine that had been at the bottom of a Lake in France that was in there since WWII 

they not only restored it - they ran it up and it delivered 1100hp  on it's first pull   :-/
No I forgot to take camera. I have asked fellow Mustang club members if they took any. Will post if I get some.

Back