Looking for indicator light bracket or panel idea

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another option is the plastic piece that wraps around the steering column where it goes through the dash. Is this piece reproduced? It will be easy to drill the light holes on it.

A annoying problem with the buzzer is that it will buzz when if the ignition is on and the engine is off, like when starting.
I was just thinking that there's a pretty good spot in the area between the steering column and fuel gauge.  Make a small bracket that fits on top of the plastic steering column filler piece to occupy that space, and it would be pretty much is direct line of vision with the tach, speedo, and fuel gauge.
Exactly. I think that's it. Either on that space or off the cover collar. Does anyone have one of those collars for sale? I looked at the collar today and there is about 3/4" space between the periphery of the collar and the steering column. I could fit a small LED in there. I would love to add another LED as a turn signal indicator since I can't see the arrow indicators due to the steering wheel being smaller.

I have one that's scuffed up and needs a repaint which would work perfectly for your purposes, it's your for free. Shoot me a PM.

I was just thinking that there's a pretty good spot in the area between the steering column and fuel gauge.  Make a small bracket that fits on top of the plastic steering column filler piece to occupy that space, and it would be pretty much is direct line of vision with the tach, speedo, and fuel gauge.
Exactly. I think that's it. Either on that space or off the cover collar. Does anyone have one of those collars for sale? I looked at the collar today and there is about 3/4" space between the periphery of the collar and the steering column. I could fit a small LED in there. I would love to add another LED as a turn signal indicator since I can't see the arrow indicators due to the steering wheel being smaller.

I have one that's scuffed up and needs a repaint which would work perfectly for your purposes, it's your for free. Shoot me a PM.
Thank you. I am still looking at options. Now that I think more about it, a small LED will make it harder to notice so I have to work on a way to keep the bigger lights that come with the kit, or use the buzzer idea.

You would be surprised as how bright the LEDs are these days.  I know the blue power LED on my computer lights up the whole room when it's dark - even when it's flashing in 'hibernate mode.'  The red HDD LED does the same thing when the hard drive is getting hit as well.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the need for adding the low pressure lights?  I know having the extra indicators are helpful for monitoring the state of such things, but the oil pressure and water temp gauges when working properly are already really good indicators that something's not right when they're not reading where they should be.  I'm not knocking your idea in the least, but just thinking that adding some light indicators you're hoping will never light up aren't really necessary if you're already ensuring all of your fluids are at proper levels as part of normal maintenance.

You would be surprised as how bright the LEDs are these days.  I know the blue power LED on my computer lights up the whole room when it's dark - even when it's flashing in 'hibernate mode.'  The red HDD LED does the same thing when the hard drive is getting hit as well.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the need for adding the low pressure lights?  I know having the extra indicators are helpful for monitoring the state of such things, but the oil pressure and water temp gauges when working properly are already really good indicators that something's not right when they're not reading where they should be.  I'm not knocking your idea in the least, but just thinking that adding some light indicators you're hoping will never light up aren't really necessary if you're already ensuring all of your fluids are at proper levels as part of normal maintenance.
Good question on why. It is a way to add extra insurance on my expensive engine. I thought that spending an extra $50 or so to assure that if I have an issue with oil or water that I would notice it quicker. I glance at the gauges often, but I know that during longer trips I can space out and not look at them that often. If I have a light come up in front of me then I will know right away. In addition to that being a reason, it is one of those projects that gets into my head and I need to get them done. I already went to the trouble of adding a tee for the oil sender and a tee for the water pressure sender. I already have the wires through the firewall waiting to be hooked to a light, so I am 75% there.

So, right now the option would be either the smaller LEDs or something like this. I mocked this up over the plastic collar with tape to give me an idea of how it would look like with the bigger lights. I just need to find a way to make it look neat.

That's fair, and I totally understand about having to get something out of your head once it's there.  

The center gauge cluster isn't exactly in the best location for constant monitoring.  My Jeep CJ-7 is the same, with the speedometer/temp/fuel gauge smack in the middle of the dash panel... I guess I've just gotten used to it over time [looking toward the center of the dash panel periodically].

I find myself once again at work (for some reason, I seem to be 'essential personnel'), so I can't see the pics.  What about something like this as a starting point to adapt to your needs:

SC1051A.JPG

Summit Racing has one, and a quick Google shows all sorts of different ones available even cheaper thru ebay and whatnot: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-2600250030?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx_qCi_nT6AIVGqSzCh1QowD6EAQYBCABEgJjmPD_BwE

Just a thought.  If you're already running down that road, good luck with it!

That's fair, and I totally understand about having to get something out of your head once it's there.  

The center gauge cluster isn't exactly in the best location for constant monitoring.  My Jeep CJ-7 is the same, with the speedometer/temp/fuel gauge smack in the middle of the dash panel... I guess I've just gotten used to it over time [looking toward the center of the dash panel periodically].

I find myself once again at work (for some reason, I seem to be 'essential personnel'), so I can't see the pics.  What about something like this as a starting point to adapt to your needs:

SC1051A.JPG

Summit Racing has one, and a quick Google shows all sorts of different ones available even cheaper thru ebay and whatnot: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-2600250030?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx_qCi_nT6AIVGqSzCh1QowD6EAQYBCABEgJjmPD_BwE

Great idea. I will look into it. I could paint it black and use it to somehow house the lights.

SC1051A.JPG

Great idea. I will look into it. I could paint it black and use it to somehow house the lights.
I saw a bunch of black ones, as well as some slightly different styles out there.  Hopefully, you'll find something you can use for cheap.  ::thumb::

So I started this thread about a year ago. After all the ideas you guys gave me, I really liked the idea of between the column and the fuel gauge (Thanks Eric). So I got some polycarbonate (PC) tubing with an ID that will fit the warning lights. The choice of PC plastics was just because there are many different sizes for sale in Amazon, plus PC is a very tough plastic. I cut notches at the rear of the PC tubes and matching notches on the column's plastic cover (I cut the one that Hemikiller sent me, thanks). These notches are for the wires. I then drilled holes on the tubes and cover so I can get a small screw and nut through. Then painted black and done. I think it looks good and they are easy to see. I run them in this same location all last year, but just attached with a Velcro, so I know this location works well.

20210219_005132.jpg

20210219_001629.jpg

20210219_001408.jpg

20210219_001416.jpg

Back