M code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

427heaven

Reaction score
My Car
1971 m code 4 speed Mach 1
Are staggered shocks and rear sway bars standard equipment on M code cars thanks!:huh:

According to my reference (Mustang Recognition Guide 1965 - 1973), 351 4-barrel or larger engines for 1971 included the heavier front stabilizer bar and rear stabilizer bar.

Staggered rear shocks are also included with 351 4-barrel, Boss 351, and 429 engines (same reference).

BT

According to my reference (Mustang Recognition Guide 1965 - 1973), 351 4-barrel or larger engines for 1971 included the heavier front stabilizer bar and rear stabilizer bar.

Staggered rear shocks are also included with 351 4-barrel, Boss 351, and 429 engines (same reference).

BT

[/ Cobra your the man thanks for that answer!

BT
I'll second that info and confirm it because my early production M-code has em.

My '71 Grande has them and a toploader with 9" pumpkin.

It also has the competition suspension package and I thought

that was related to the rear sway bar. I thought the 'staggered shocks'

was related to the engine size but not the sway bar.

mike

I was under the impression that staggered shocks were a 4 speed item, and autos had parallel shocks? :shrug2:

M-code brethren unite! I think we are one of the smaller subsets within our forum...except for Rex and his Sprint convertible, the Boss 351 guys and maybe the 429ers. All the other cars seem to be more prevalent on here.

M-code brethren unite! I think we are one of the smaller subsets within our forum...except for Rex and his Sprint convertible, the Boss 351 guys and maybe the 429ers. All the other cars seem to be more prevalent on here.
I thought it was those of us that did not have actual running cars.

I thought it was those of us that did not have actual running cars.
Lol, nope....I'd bet most of us don't have running cars. Luckily I have a good friend with a pristine 72 Q code that I can drive whenever I like since he has no time to drive it himself. If I don't drive it it wouldn't get driven at all. 3 of mine technically run and of those 3, 1 is ok to drive, 1 would be ok to drive if I fixed the brakes and the last would be very unsafe to drive.

This is my first Mustang and happens to be a quench M-code with toploader.

Never driven any other Mustang. What am I missing out on?

This is not a rhetorical question.

mike
Nothing! When you drive an M-code its hard to enjoy the other ones with their lessor powered motors. It's the others who are missing out. :p

To everyone with other than quench powered mustangs, I'm totally being facetious here guys.

I have to say that being an owner of a potent 351 c is a very enjoyable experience, couple that with having a correct chassis to go with it makes it even more enjoyable. Some prefer a smooth running, smooth idling car but not me, my preference is FAST,LOUD AND STIFF suspended. I can hardly wait to drive mine, as you know it has had a transplant from my race car to street car, getting closer. I am not dissing the smooth cruisers just giving the thumbs up to those of us that prefer to drive our cars in the fast lane! Hail to the LAST performance cars made!

I have to say that being an owner of a potent 351 c is a very enjoyable experience, couple that with having a correct chassis to go with it makes it even more enjoyable. Some prefer a smooth running, smooth idling car but not me, my preference is FAST,LOUD AND STIFF suspended. I can hardly wait to drive mine, as you know it has had a transplant from my race car to street car, getting closer. I am not dissing the smooth cruisers just giving the thumbs up to those of us that prefer to drive our cars in the fast lane! Hail to the LAST performance cars made!
I agree with that. When I got my M code, my wife wanted it to be a grocery getter, painted some kind of pearl color. At the time we lived in Reno, so I gave her a ride up to Virginia City on SR 431, which has a few nice curves and over 2,000 feet of elevation change, to show her what the car was all about. Bottom line, she said she would NEVER ride up there with me again, in the Mustang.:angel:

I agree with that. When I got my M code, my wife wanted it to be a grocery getter, painted some kind of pearl color. At the time we lived in Reno, so I gave her a ride up to Virginia City on SR 431, which has a few nice curves and over 2,000 feet of elevation change, to show her what the car was all about. Bottom line, she said she would NEVER ride up there with me again, in the Mustang.:angel:
Don is that the mining road on which they hold the silver state classic? Blocked off once a year for people to go as fast as they can go with no police!:D

Don is that the mining road on which they hold the silver state classic? Blocked off once a year for people to go as fast as they can go with no police!:D
That's on the other end of it, that goes down towards Carson City, south of Virginia City. They get some pretty high-end machines taking part in that run.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's on the other end of it, that goes down towards Carson City, south of Virginia City. They get some pretty high-end machines taking part in that run.
Wow! When does this take place? Road trip anyone?

Back