Mach 1 vs Fastback Sportsroof - differences

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
learning lots about these cars today! thanks for dropping some knowledge.
Nice. If you really want to jump start your knowledge try reading the old WFQ threads we used to do each week. Then when you upgrade to VIP membership the VIP WFQ(s) will blow your mind.

I do not think there was any body trim or paint treatments included with or specific to any 72 R- code engine option.

The coupe with the 351 HO decals and BOSS-style rear panel paint treatment is probably not OEM.

If it is, I would love to see documentation.

I do not think there was any body trim or paint treatments included with or specific to any 72 R- code engine option.

The coupe with the 351 HO decals and BOSS-style rear panel paint treatment is probably not OEM.

Figured as much, but - same as you - I'd pull a Marti on that thing myself if I had so much as a VIN number.

Incidentally - the fiberglass buck Boss 302/351 and the Lost Boss are the only two '71-73 shapes (you can't rightfully call the buck a "car," IMO) I know of to carry the bright molding (painted over in black) at the bottom, along with the stripes.

Which brings up the question: Why should a Boss-inspired R-code '72 coupe carry these details when the car it was inspired from didn't carry these details?

Provided the decals are the only thing incorrect about that car, my bet is that its was ordered with the Exterior Decor Group, thereby explaining the tu-tone bodyside with molding, urethane bumper, and body-color front caps.

-Kurt

I don't believe the exterior decor group was available in 72, and ram air was not available on an R code, so that car should have a flat hood only...not a NACA hood, ram air, pins or tutone hood paint.

I don't believe the exterior decor group was available in 72, and ram air was not available on an R code, so that car should have a flat hood only...not a NACA hood, ram air, pins or tutone hood paint.
I can't answer the latter, but the Exterior Decor Group certainly was available in '72 on the coupe and convertible. Made the car look like a tu-tone Mach without stripes.

There was a yellow '72 Coupe in the Keys which was on eBay a while ago; an excellent example (if rotted to the core) of a '72 coupe with that group. Can't find the photos, though I think I saved them somewhere.

The package is shown in the '72 catalog, but with airbrushed cars.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 72 Q code convertible with it

In 72 it was listed as decor group

^

There you go, Kit. The package is unusual, but not uncommon.

Often creates some confusion when they pop up.

-Kurt

Figured as much, but - same as you - I'd pull a Marti on that thing myself if I had so much as a VIN number.

Incidentally - the fiberglass buck Boss 302/351 and the Lost Boss are the only two '71-73 shapes (you can't rightfully call the buck a "car," IMO) I know of to carry the bright molding (painted over in black) at the bottom, along with the stripes.

Which brings up the question: Why should a Boss-inspired R-code '72 coupe carry these details when the car it was inspired from didn't carry these details?

Provided the decals are the only thing incorrect about that car, my bet is that its was ordered with the Exterior Decor Group, thereby explaining the tu-tone bodyside with molding, urethane bumper, and body-color front caps.

-Kurt

^

There you go, Kit. The package is unusual, but not uncommon.

Often creates some confusion when they pop up.

-Kurt
Yes. Today, my 72 CJ 4speed convertible has just over 70k miles. It was ordered with the Decor Group and body side tape stripes.

I'll try to post the Marti asap.

Ray

I may be confused on my package names: I was referring to the option that placed a non-functional tutone NACA hood and pins on a non-ram air car. That was 73 only.

Decor Group explained - if you trust the Ford literature. Revisions and assy line changes aside, the lit is pretty accurate.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-decor-group-71-72-73

DECOR GROUP 71-72-73

This is the related text captured from 71-3 dealer brochures.

I have placed a shortened URL link under each to ref web pages.

1971 Mustang Brochure

DÉCOR GROUP OPTION INSTRUMENT PANEL with deluxe black appliques, de-

luxe 2-spoke steering wheel.

DECOR GROUP OPTION (also available on Boss 351, Sportsroof) Includes knitted vinyl or deluxe cloth/vinyl seat trim, deluxe black instrument panel appliques, rear ash tray, deluxe 2-spoke steering wheel, dual color-keyed racing mirrors (left side remote-control; standard on Boss 351), rocker panel/wheel lip moldings (except Boss 351), deluxe molded door trim panels (Convertible, Boss 351). Center floor console and Rim-Blow Deluxe 3-spoke Steering Wheel are both separate options.

http://is.gd/77mzOD

1972 Mustang Brochure:

“New Hardtop and Convertible Décor Group.

You can start designing with this unique, optional exterior trim package.

It adds distinctive sportiness to your Personal Driving Machine.

As shown here on both models, it includes a honeycomb black grill

with integral sport lamps, a color-keyed front spoiler bumper, color-keyed

hood and fender moldings, and wheel trim rings and hub caps. Also

available with the Décor Group are bodyside tape stripes in black or argent.

(White sidewalls, shown are available separately.)”

http://is.gd/6uau1o

1973 Mustang Brochure

“Décor Group

Add a touch of dazzle to your Mustang. Shown on Convertible and Hardtop (below), the package includes a black grill with integral sportlamps, black or argent lower bodyside paint with bright chrome molding, wheel trim rings and hub caps.

Bodyside Tape Stripe. A separate optional available only with Décor Group in black or argent (shown on Hardtop below).”

http://is.gd/TQaBqA

DECOR GROUP OPTION (also available on Boss 351, Sportsroof) Includes knitted vinyl or deluxe cloth/vinyl seat trim, deluxe black instrument panel appliques, rear ash tray, deluxe 2-spoke steering wheel, dual color-keyed racing mirrors (left side remote-control; standard on Boss 351), rocker panel/wheel lip moldings (except Boss 351), deluxe molded door trim panels (Convertible, Boss 351). Center floor console and Rim-Blow Deluxe 3-spoke Steering Wheel are both separate options.
While we're on the subject of the '71 Exterior Decor Group:

The one thing that gets me about this section - which is written slightly differently in the Illustrated Facts & Specifications Manual, but essentially the same - is how it doesn't specifically exclude the Mach 1 package in writing, but excludes it by omission.

Not that I mind, but - like too many of these brochures - the ambiguity requires some keen reading to prevent misinterpretation, with the best counter-argument being that you'll never see a Mach 1 claim that group on a Marti report - including those who have gained wheel lip moldings or rocker panels over the years.

The green, garaged-since-'79 1972 Mach that just fetched $12k is a perfect example of that.

-Kurt

Back