Mach1 sport lamps: What do they do originally?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you made or got clear lenses for them you could use them as daytime running lights or driving lights, which would look pretty cool in my opinion.
Yup, I thought about that too. If you look closely you'll see that I did that to the stock parking lights/turn signals in the lower front valance. I kinda wanted to keep the sport lamps yellow though.

I don't have to worry about the inspection as the next on will be in May 2013, so..... :)

If I don't find original sockets, I'll try and make something to fit some standard sockets. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

Thanx for all the replies guys!

I just remembered that I have two sockets for sidemarker lamps lying around, so I'll probably end up using those and make them fit somehow if everything else fails.

Hi Mike

In my car they were wired with 2 functions:

- 5 W parking light

- 21 W turn signal

But I had to remove the parking light function because of german laws:s

I really like the idea of using them as daytime running lights with clear lenses - and I think you have these custom made (saw it on one of your car pics):D

I really like the idea of using them as daytime running lights with clear lenses - and I think you have these custom made (saw it on one of your car pics):D
Hi Fred

Yup, I made some clear lenses for the turn signals, but as I said, I'd like to keep the sport lamps yellow. On the other hand it would be a cool custom touch to have a Mach1 grille with white sport lamps..... :-/

I always thought they lit up without the headlights till a month ago. :blush: Never did get out to check LOL! It would've made sense to turn on with just the parking lamps. Looks cool like that cruising around just before sun down.

Hi Fred

Yup, I made some clear lenses for the turn signals, but as I said, I'd like to keep the sport lamps yellow. On the other hand it would be a cool custom touch to have a Mach1 grille with white sport lamps..... :-/
Hey Mike,

Your laws are pretty strict, so I'm suprised to hear you can get away with clear lenses for turn signals. We can't pass safety inspection and they make you take them off. Also get a citation if caught with any color lense other than amber or red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mike,

Your laws are pretty strict, so I'm suprised to hear you can get away with clear lenses for turn signals. We can't pass safety inspection and they make you take them off. Also get a citation if caught with any color lense other than amber or red.
Problem is here that they are not keen on white turn signals either, but as they are the same as the parking lights and parking lights must under no circumstances be yellow, they have to make a compromise on that.

Most vintage Mustangs have had their parking lights moved into the globes of the headlights and the ones in the valance only serve as turn signals, so they can stay yellow.

I left the wiring intact and simply made clear lenses.

It´s simple here: No yellow light may shine without interruption.

A while back we even had to disconnect the side markers (again yellow light that stays on) but thanks to Volvo introducing a car sporting side marker lamps to the European market, they had to allow them and so you see more and more vintage US cars that have them reconnected.

It´s simple here: No yellow light may shine without interruption.
Are you not allowed to have yellow fog lamps on cars in your country?

My car was knocked back on the Sport Lamps because the roadworthy checker told me they were wired to come on with the head lights (the guy called them fog lights), which is why I just pulled the globes to keep him happy. Fog lights here in Australia are illegal to have turned on unless there is fog or adverse conditions, but as the Sport Lamps have a kind of appearance of being fog lamps then I reckon I could wire them to an independent switch marked "fog lamps", then that would make them operate in a legal manner (as long as there was fog around of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you not allowed to have yellow fog lamps on cars in your country?

Fog lights here in Australia are illegal to have turned on unless there is fog or adverse conditions....
AH, you got me on that one! Right, yellow fog lamps are the exception. I completely forgot about those, as I never add any to my cars neither do I ever feel the need to use them, if the car has some.

Same thing on the second point. Must have fog to turn on the lights.

Gotta check with the authorities about the height though. If I remember correctly, fog lights mustn´t exceed a specified distance from the ground.

After all the lowering I did on the car, I think they might be low enough to qualify as fog lights.

First I gotta find a way to install bulbs though. Unless that happens, all the rest is theory......

First I gotta find a way to install bulbs though. Unless that happens, all the rest is theory......
Kinda big, but maybe you can make this work. Might have problems keeping them lit at speed, though.

10379r8.jpg

lollerz

Kinda big, but maybe you can make this work. Might have problems keeping them lit at speed, though.

10379r8.jpg
lollerz

10379r8.jpg
:D Your going to need two of those!

:)

Guys, you shouldn´t eat clowns for breakfast! :)

Maybe I could catch fireflies and set them free inside the lamp housing.......That would be the environmentally friendly version. :)

How weird. Mine are wired as turn signals and have been as long as I have owned the car. I thought that was normal. i guess a PO wired them that way. Now I'll have to give some thought as to what I want them to do.

Back