Motor combo.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
 I have this cam from turtle5353 a 650 dbl pumper and a torquer intake. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-32-602-8/overview/make/ford I am not going to stroke the motor and have decided to go with the stock iron 4v heads and have them worked and drilled for screw in studs. I am not putting this on the track and not looking for max performance. I am looking for a good rough idled cruiser. I dont have power brakes so vacuum isnt an issue. I have a 4 speed with posi rear that I am planning on putting a 3:55 gear in.  

I have $275 tied up in the cam, carb and intake which is one of the reasons I want to run them.  Im not sure what pistons are in the engine. The engine was rebuilt by the PO and he might have just reused the old ones. 

I have asked questions before about all of this stuff individually but now that I am truly in a position where I have to do some motor work due to water in #8  I wanted to get some advice.  Keep in mind that I am not worried about horsepower numbers just a good hard hitting thumper.  But I dont want it to be a complete dog either.  Will it give me what I am looking for? Im not trying to outrun anyone I just want a mean sounding tire burner.

That will certainly give you the sound you are looking for.

A 750+ cfm carburetor would be my choice. Clevelands like more carburetor than other engines. The 650 will work OK, just won't provide the full potential of the engine.

What lifters and rockers will you be using?

Tear what you have down and go from there. Don has a dynamic compression calculator that I used, plug that cam into it and see what sort of static ratio it is going to take to get the engine in the “happy” dynamic range with that cam.

Once you get that figured out, along with the chamber displacement you should be able to figure out what type of piston / head gasket combo will get you where you need to be.

Carb will end up being too small, 4V Clevelands like bigger carbs.
What size carb should I have?  Any chance I can "trick" this 650 out with bigger Jets and shooters?  Ultimately I want to put an FI setup on it so I will probably just stick with the 650 for now unless a deal comes up.

Carb will end up being too small, 4V Clevelands like bigger carbs.
What size carb should I have?  Any chance I can "trick" this 650 out with bigger Jets and shooters?  Ultimately I want to put an FI setup on it so I will probably just stick with the 650 for now unless a deal comes up.
No, CFM is fixed. It'll be fine if you plan to swap to EFI later on.

that carb is fine for your particular needs. the higher it revs, the bigger the carb should be and you don't want a high revving engine so for you, the 650 is ok.

that cam is not just "too big", it is WAY to big. do not even think of putting that in your engine, it will run like crap and will have zero bottom end and won't start pulling until around 25,000 rpm, lol.

a nasty idle and good bottom end are not synonymous. you can get decent bottom end with a slight to moderate lope but not with a cam that provides a lot of lope.

the only ford those thumper cams seen to work decent in is a windsor stroker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back