MuscleTang mod project thread (1971 M-Mach 1)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so I am back working in the car. The subframe and floors on the driver's side are all welded in and just needing paint. Next is doing the passenger's side floors.

Today I spent some time working on the dash so I have a few questions:

1. In the radio bay, at the top on the back there are two flap looking things (see arrows in 1st picture below). What are these for? Mine are slightly bent, but, do the originals look like that?

2. The prong that connects to the dashboard gauges (tach, gas, speed) in pin 7 has two wires (right side of prong in 2nd picture). On mine one wire is disconnected. Where would this one go?

3. The 3rd picture shows the drain hose from the evaporator. My A/C is not factory. Where those this hose typically exits the car? In mine, as you can see in the picture, it exits on the right side. Note on the left side of the picture that there is a hole in the floor right under the hose, which almost looks that it should drain there. Is that hole supposed to be there? Right now is just open.

20150825_225604_edited.jpg

20150825_225838_resized.jpg

20150825_222538_edited.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture of the factory drain hole location for a/c.

ix89hMfwSNDjj8qAP7z4WQZ-zwGAkmyNrTtCxkTAjoU=w431-h293-no

Okay, so I am back working in the car. The subframe and floors on the driver's side are all welded in and just needing paint. Next is doing the passenger's side floors.

1. In the radio bay, at the top on the back there are two flap looking things (see arrows in 1st picture below). What are these for? Mine are slightly bent, but, do the originals look like that?

2. The prong that connects to the dashboard gauges (tach, gas, speed) in pin 7 has two wires (right side of prong in 2nd picture). On mine one wire is disconnected. Where would this one go?

3. The 3rd picture shows the drain hose from the evaporator. My A/C is not factory. Where those this hose typically exits the car? In mine, as you can see in the picture, it exits on the right side. Note on the left side of the picture that there is a hole in the floor right under the hose, which almost looks that it should drain there. Is that hole supposed to be there? Right now is just open.
Let's talk about the two wires on the dash cluster connector (pin 7). One of the wires is a resistor wire: a single thread of nichrome wire. It's very hard to crimp a pin around a single wire strand, so Ford decided (very cleverly, in fact) to crimp another standard copper wire along with the resistor wire so that there are numerous threads that get crimped together. So where does that other wire go to? Nowhere! It isn't used for anything except strength at the crimp itself! Amazing, eh? Just leave the wire alone. If you are still uncomfortable, wrap some electrical tape around it. Ford actually buried it in the taped wire bundle.

Let's talk about the two wires on the dash cluster connector (pin 7). One of the wires is a resistor wire: a single thread of nichrome wire. It's very hard to crimp a pin around a single wire strand, so Ford decided (very cleverly, in fact) to crimp another standard copper wire along with the resistor wire so that there are numerous threads that get crimped together. So where does that other wire go to? Nowhere! It isn't used for anything except strength at the crimp itself! Amazing, eh? Just leave the wire alone. If you are still uncomfortable, wrap some electrical tape around it. Ford actually buried it in the taped wire bundle.
Thank you... that's actually interesting and non-sense from Ford's part. I was scratching my head like what the heck.....

Here is a picture of the factory drain hole location for a/c.

ix89hMfwSNDjj8qAP7z4WQZ-zwGAkmyNrTtCxkTAjoU=w431-h293-no
Thanks for this picture. So in my case the hole that is just under the evaporator drain plug is the one that should be used. I will see if I plug the one in the right now that I am redoing the floor. However, I have another question. Does the hose go from the evaporator through this hole to where? I assume this hole exits on top of the transmission, so how far down does it go? Does anyone have pictures of the actual hose? Since the hose may be in contact with the transmission I then assume the hose has to be high temperature.

Edit: Actually, looking at my picture. The hole near the evaporator is more over the tunnel than yours. I guess I should weld both holes and drill a new one. Can someone give me dimensions so I can properly locate this hole?

The hose has a little 'S' shape to it and sticks out about an inch underneath. It goes through a grommet in the floor and has a metal plug with a hole in it to let the water through but keep the critters out.

Here is a picture I found at west coast classic cougars' website

100022670_(6)-1028.jpg

The hose has a little 'S' shape to it and sticks out about an inch underneath. It goes through a grommet in the floor and has a metal plug with a hole in it to let the water through but keep the critters out.

Here is a picture I found at west coast classic cougars'
Thanks... I see it is available from various suppliers. I think the best is that i get one and then mark where the hole should go. I will weld the other two holes.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Any takers in regards to my question about the flap looking things in the stereo bay. They are more like plastic molded rectangles. Please see picture.

1971 M-code Mach 1

I keep seeing these wires at the rear of my engine by the transmission and two of these connectors are open. There is nothing connected. One is green and one is black. Any ideas what these are for? See pictures. As a reference the picture is taken from under the car and you can see the transmission's kickdown.

These cars have so many open connectors that sometimes I don't know if they are meant that way or if I have something missing.

20150913_224833_ed.jpg

20150913_224745_ed.jpg

Did a compression test today. I performed the test with the engine cold and with the carb's butterfly closed. Now that I come up to the computer I am reading the test should be done with the engine warm and butterfly open. I don't know what the difference would be. Well, in any case, I got 140 psi in all cylinders except one at 135 and another at 145 psi. Compression level reached within 5 strokes.

I also spent sometime under the car checking the engine casting numbers. It took me about an hour until I decided to loosen the starter. Once I moved the starter s little I was able to see the last number.

The casting # is: D0AE-L

And the date code, which I had already reported is: 0L17 (Nov.17, 1970)

So even though the block's s/n does not seem to match, at least the block casting matches my "M" code from December 1970.

I am on the last stretch of replacing the floor pans. More details to come soon in my floor thread.

However, I have a few question regarding gaps around windows and tail sheetmetal. I am posting pictures since it is easier to see than explain. My main question is if these gaps are from factory or indicate that some work was done to the car. What can I do to fix the gaps around the windows? Do you caulk it :) I may even have some surface rust at the bottom of the window channel. I guess I don't want too much of a gap here so to avoid water sitting in there.

Pictures:

1. Tail, by trunk

2. Windshield (upper corner_

3. Quarter panel window

4. Rear window (upper corner)

20160217_233018_resized.jpg

20160218_002034_resized.jpg

20160218_002107_resized.jpg

20160218_002131_resized.jpg

The first pic by the tail looks like there may have been some mud work in there??

The rest of the pics look just like my car. I have a few gaps around those areas too...... not sure if they are suppose to be there but just wanted to let you know you are not alone! ;)

The first pic by the tail looks like there may have been some mud work in there??

The rest of the pics look just like my car. I have a few gaps around those areas too...... not sure if they are suppose to be there but just wanted to let you know you are not alone! ;)
My concern is that water will eventually sit on those gaps by the windows and create problems. I wonder if there is anything that can be done that does not involve taking the glass out. That's why I jokingly said caulking :)

In regards to the tail, I agree there is a bit of mud where the trunk meets the fender. But, do you have that gap between the sheetmetal of the tail and trunk? Interestingly, the gap and finish looks the same and symmetrical on both sides so that makes me think that it is factory, but I would like to know that for sure.

I haven't heard feedback in regards to the rear quarter panel gap in the first picture of the previous post (post #29). After searching and searching I think I figured out the right terminology. I am talking about the gap between the rear quarter panel and its extender. I went over hundreds of pictures and I found one that had similar gaps, so I am assuming that this gap is "normal," but can anyone please confirm?

Also, if anyone has feedback in regards to what to do with the gap/channel around the windows, or just leave it like it is.

The gaps are normal and water gets in there and will eventually rust out.

Ask me how I know.

Paul
Thank you for the clarification. Although I don't like the idea that it will eventually rust out. However, I am not planing on driving the car when is rainy out since these cars have too many water friendly places :) I know though that at some point I will be caught off guard in a downpour or when I wash the car water will be trapped in all those wonderful places.

I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel of my floor pan endeavor. More details in my floor pan thread. I am done welding and grinding all the panels. Now I am in the cleaning stage to prime the interior. Last night I removed the tarps that have covered the interior for about year and half. It was a strange feeling. Now I am looking at this through a more experienced set of eyes.

I need your help with a few pictures I took of some suspicious places. The more I dig into the inside of the car the more I see repairs or attempts to fix probably past issues. Also signs of modifications. Since I don't know how some of these regions looked like new I need your help.

1,2 - the first two pictures are the brackets for the fold down seats. Based on the bad looking welding done there I assume these were added at a later time. Can you share any pictures of how these should look OEM?

3,4- these pictures are by the rear window, by the C-pillar. The circled panel looks like torch cut. The other side looks exactly the same. Is this stock or an indication of some type of work done there? Can anyone share a picture of how it should look?

Anything else "strange" that stands out? Thank you.

20160308_001927_resized.jpg

20160308_002157_resized-mod.jpg

20160308_002112_resized.jpg

20160308_002632_resized-mod.jpg

I keep seeing these wires at the rear of my engine by the transmission and two of these connectors are open. There is nothing connected. One is green and one is black. Any ideas what these are for? See pictures. As a reference the picture is taken from under the car and you can see the transmission's kickdown.

These cars have so many open connectors that sometimes I don't know if they are meant that way or if I have something missing.
Sorry for the late response. The green female bullet is emissions/carb related. The black female bullet is for the PRNDL shifter lamp.

Bump.....Anyone please

1971 M-code Mach 1
The bracket edge welds look stock sloppy but thats how they tacked the edges.

The quarter inner structure cuts are also stock again sloppy but thats how mine are and I know no work was done there. So no worries your looking at how it came from the factory.

Bump.....Anyone please

1971 M-code Mach 1
The bracket edge welds look stock sloppy but thats how they tacked the edges.

The quarter inner structure cuts are also stock again sloppy but thats how mine are and I know no work was done there. So no worries your looking at how it came from the factory.
+1 Yep what Q said!

Now get it buttoned up and enjoy it this summer!!!!! GREAT work!! ::thumb::::thumb::

Back