MuscleTang mod project thread (1971 M-Mach 1)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump.....Anyone please

1971 M-code Mach 1
The bracket edge welds look stock sloppy but thats how they tacked the edges.

The quarter inner structure cuts are also stock again sloppy but thats how mine are and I know no work was done there. So no worries your looking at how it came from the factory.
+1 Yep what Q said!

Now get it buttoned up and enjoy it this summer!!!!! GREAT work!! ::thumb::::thumb::
Thank you fuys. Thats encouraging. It tells me I shouldn't worry too much about perfect welds when the factory welds were so sloppy.

I found a little of rust up by the edge of the inner quarter by the rear side window. I will fix this and should be priming this weekend. Those edges also appear sloppy.

1971 M-code Mach 1

I have been very quiet with updating my work. The floors are done, the seat platforms are in, the instrument panel has new led lighting, new retrosound stereo and dash speaker, installed converted tach and ammeter, currently installing the dynamat insulation. Still need to do the carpeting but will do that once I hit a snag with my other projects. Also installed the Lee modified steering motor and pump, new steering hoses, changed oil pan gasket, plus oil and fuel pumps while I was down there and adapted a new mini starter.

My next job are new discs on front and disc adaptation in rear. While doing this i will replace the perches, all bearings and complete new steering arms and rods.

I may be forgetting some stuff but this is a good summary of the last two months.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Last edited by a moderator:
This week I also started the engine after 18 months. I installed the Hooker headers and this is the sound with open exhaust.

The sound alone is enough motivation to finish soon and very exciting!. I think that I have one more month of work before hitting the road.

My Movie.wmv

Attachments

• My Movie.wmv
    4.1 MB · Views: 25
Sounds great, man! I noticed you're running a carb...are you still considering the FI Tech throttle body system?
Yes, I actually already bought the Fitech and should arrive at the end of the month. For now I am focused on getting the car to a driveable condition. Then I will install the EFI, so probably towards the end of summer.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Sweet, looking forward to reading about the install. What route did you go with on the fuel pump? I've read the remote canister (can't recall the name) has given a lot of problems....may have even been you that posted the link to the corvette forum.

Sweet, looking forward to reading about the install. What route did you go with on the fuel pump? I've read the remote canister (can't recall the name) has given a lot of problems....may have even been you that posted the link to the corvette forum.
I decided to go the fuel command route. I read some few people having problems but didnt seem to be a systematic issue. Now that you mentioned it, I will review that thread which I haven't in a while.

1971 M-code Mach 1

I kept running the motor over the weekend so I can enjoy the sound. I understand that it is too loud and it would become annoying when cruising. That's making me think of installing electric cutoffs. That way whenever I feel like hearing the open exhaust I just need to flip a switch. Anyone has experience with the electric cutoffs? I am wondering how reliable the seal is once you close them.

I really like mine! They are something cool to play with when you're heading into or out of a show. I got mine from Badlandz. They seem to seal very well. I don't notice any leaks or anything like that when the car is running. I just had my car on the lift yesterday while it was running and checked them and they were sealed very well. The only trouble I did have with mine was the remote control receiver burned up. You can run the cutouts from a rocker switch too so it wasn't that big of a deal. All the badlandz stuff had a 5 year warranty. I sent the receiver back and they sent me a new one free. I like being able to run the cutouts remotely with the key fob. I can be standing 20' away from my car idling and hit the button on the key fob and they open right up. Sounds bad ass. Heres 2 pics from yesterday. Mine have been on for 2-3 years now.

fonfyg.jpg

se0goo.jpg

I really like mine! They are something cool to play with when you're heading into or out of a show. I got mine from Badlandz. They seem to seal very well. I don't notice any leaks or anything like that when the car is running. I just had my car on the lift yesterday while it was running and checked them and they were sealed very well. The only trouble I did have with mine was the remote control receiver burned up. You can run the cutouts from a rocker switch too so it wasn't that big of a deal. All the badlandz stuff had a 5 year warranty. I sent the receiver back and they sent me a new one free. I like being able to run the cutouts remotely with the key fob. I can be standing 20' away from my car idling and hit the button on the key fob and they open right up. Sounds bad ass. Heres 2 pics from yesterday. Mine have been on for 2-3 years now.
Awesome!! I definitely want those!!

Heres a link to his website.... http://www.badlanzhpe.com/

Hes a really good guy and stands behind his products. You can also get them on ebay from him.

Turtle,

What are those 2 U shaped bars wrapped around your engine mount cross member? I've never seen those before.

Tony, don't mean to hijack your thread.

BT

EDIT: Never mind, I just read your flexplate thread LOL Someone else asked the same question.

Turtle,

What are those 2 U shaped bars wrapped around your engine mount cross member? I've never seen those before.

BT

EDIT: Never mind, I just read your flexplate thread LOL Someone else asked the same question.
Okay, now I am curious. I didn't notice the U bolts. Can you post the link to the flexplate thread you mention?

Turtle,

BT

Okay, now I am curious. I didn't notice the U bolts. Can you post the link to the flexplate thread you mention?
Here's the link: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-anyone-ever-break-a-flexplate-its-running

The same question is asked in post #23.

Since I have not posted in a while it may have seem that I am not working in my car. On the contrary, I have been working hard about 3-4 nights a week. I have a lot of open projects and non is complete due to unforeseen problems so I will post as they get finished.

Right not I am working on the rear brake conversion, front brake Wilwood discs, replacing brake lines, new brake cylinder, suspension and steering. The rear brake conversion led me to discover axles with excessive runout so I am working on used axles with Don. For the front brakes I needed to modify the spindles slightly so that's done. One task that I finished was replacing the differential carrier (or pumpkin) gasket. It was "fun" doing it myself with the garage jack. I moved the jack's lever with my leg while holding the carrier which seems to weigh 600 pounds when you are under it.

I am also working in rebuilding the stock brake distribution valve and adapting a rear brake adjustable proportioning valve so I can fine tune. The rebuild kit is in its way so I will hopefully complete the distribution valve by this weekend. For adapting the adjustable valve for the rear brakes I have been trying to find a fitting to go from the valve's 1/8" NPT to the 7/16-24 flare male that is in the distribution block but I can't find any. I wanted to fit it solid to the distribution block but I may have to go though a small section of brake tubing.

Last night I replaced the front brake lines. I was able to fit the front line that goes from the distribution block to the passenger's side brake with the motor in place. This was a task of patience. At first I thought it was not possible but it is doable. I only had to remove the speedometer cable and the vacuum reservoir. I already had the brake cylinder removed. The line had to be bent slightly to fit, but nothing major that would cause any damage. The trick was to start feeding the line from the driver's side and go slowly from there. I did not remove the old one until I had the new one in place just to be sure. That made removing the old one a more difficult task. The most difficult line brackets to remove were the two on the passenger side. One is right below the fuel vapor canister that is a PITA to get to. I guess I could have removed that canister, but I managed without.

Sounds like your making great progress Tony. I especially love the dumps. Looking forward to more.

Hes a really good guy and stands behind his products. You can also get them on ebay from him.
Kevin,

I just got the cutouts per your suggestion. So technically, you could open the butterfly as much or as little as you want, right? Have you tried to "control" the exhaust volume by partially opening the valve? I am wondering if that would work. I also bought the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. I am thinking that these are in the quiet side, but since I can open my exhaust by pushing a button, I figure I don't need to worry about it being too quiet.

Kevin,

I just got the cutouts per your suggestion. So technically, you could open the butterfly as much or as little as you want, right? Have you tried to "control" the exhaust volume by partially opening the valve? I am wondering if that would work. I also bought the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. I am thinking that these are in the quiet side, but since I can open my exhaust by pushing a button, I figure I don't need to worry about it being too quiet.
Yes you can open them just a crack, half way, wide open, whatever you want. 99% of the time I open them all the way... just sounds better in my opinion. If your using the supplied rocker switch, you just hold the switch down until you get the sound you want. you will hear the gear motors when they get wide open and you can let off. If you bought the wireless key fob, like I did, you can bump the button once and they will open all the way. If you bump the button again as they are opening they will stop. Bump again and they will open a little more ect ect.

They are one of the funnest upgrades I have made to the car. Its really cool to open them up pulling into a show and see people stare at close to 600hp rumbling in with open headers.

My muffler are magnaflows and are very quiet in my opinion. But I really like them, nice rumble and good sound when on the throttle. But when cruising down the highway you can actually have a conversation with the person sitting beside you.

Don't worry your going to love them.... tons o fun!! Keep us posted on the install. Keep them as high and tight as possible because they do take up some ground clearance. Good luck

Back