my 1971 351 Boss restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the feedback guys. i'm pretty happy to be back in the game. can't wait to have my baby back in my garage so i can finally drop the engine back in. if all goes well, then i might be able to fire it up and take it for a spin :)

i'll keep you guys posted.

abudi

hi guys,

i got a few pictures from the paint shop that i'd like to share with you guys.

first coat of polyester filler

after everything was sanded down and degreased ... on went the second layer of polyester filler

2 coat

after the second layer is carefully block sanded the fine filler goes on the car. all in all, we might go into the booth in around a week. pls keep your fingers crossed that all goes well.

greetz

abudi

thanks for the feedback guys! i really hope to get the car back from the paint shop within the next few weeks. i wasn't posting too much on this thread because there was nothing to post. most of the work on the boss was completed so i decided scan the area a bit and it turned out that a friend of mine wanted to let go of his 66 coupe....now you're probably saying what's so special about a 66 coupe..right? well it turns out it's a k-code. so i bought it on the spot. well since november i've been overhaulin' that car too. here are a few pics that i posted on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440906905754.237478.599235754&l=9bd22f9dc2

i'll be back soon with new pics of the boss.

thanks

abudi
I have been going through this posting and getting back up to speed on the Boss restoration. Noticed the post about the 66 K-Code and thought I would comment as I am in Memphis. Do you know any of the history on the car. It may have been an Air Force transplant from the former Air base north of town. Anyhow, great to see a reference to Memphis for something else besides Elvis.

thanks for the feedback guys! i really hope to get the car back from the paint shop within the next few weeks. i wasn't posting too much on this thread because there was nothing to post. most of the work on the boss was completed so i decided scan the area a bit and it turned out that a friend of mine wanted to let go of his 66 coupe....now you're probably saying what's so special about a 66 coupe..right? well it turns out it's a k-code. so i bought it on the spot. well since november i've been overhaulin' that car too. here are a few pics that i posted on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440906905754.237478.599235754&l=9bd22f9dc2

i'll be back soon with new pics of the boss.

thanks

abudi
I have been going through this posting and getting back up to speed on the Boss restoration. Noticed the post about the 66 K-Code and thought I would comment as I am in Memphis. Do you know any of the history on the car. It may have been an Air Force transplant from the former Air base north of town. Anyhow, great to see a reference to Memphis for something else besides Elvis.
all i can say about my k-code is that i bought the car from a guy living near vienna. he bought the car from a dealer in oklahoma. unfortunately i have no idea how many owner were on the car. i contact marti only to find out that he can supply infos from 67 onward. i wish i could find out more about my little K.

thanks

abudi

hi folks,

i'm back again with new picture from my boss. i'd say i've got around a week to go now before the 351B is finally painted. a lot of prep-work was done to have the body perfectly straight.

-) 2 coats of epoxy filler

-) all seams were then sealed

-) 2 coats of fine filler (one dark and one light colored coat) were then put on

-) the car was out in the sun for around 3 days

-) the edges were are sanded down so all that's missing now is the body....can't wait to see the final product.

as usual the pictures :)

abudi

thanks guys!! the seams were sealed with a 3M seam paste.

abudi

Hello Abudi

This thread has blown me away.

Very impresive workmanship

I am interested in know more about the tinning that you did.

Where you able to complete the body work with only tin or did you have to use other filler?

What alloy did you use?

Not very many people do this tin / lead filler any more.

I ordered a leading kit and am going to give this a whirl

So if you have some tips they would be helpful

Hello Abudi

This thread has blown me away.

Very impresive workmanship

I am interested in know more about the tinning that you did.

Where you able to complete the body work with only tin or did you have to use other filler?

What alloy did you use?

Not very many people do this tin / lead filler any more.

I ordered a leading kit and am going to give this a whirl

So if you have some tips they would be helpful
thank you for the kind words :)

let me start by saying that i try to do a lot of the work myself. there are a few things that are done by professionals. tinning is once of those jobs. the most important thing when i comes to tinning is that all work needs to be done on bare metal. i don't know how the leading is done since we used tin, but i'm guessing i might be the same.

first you put on the tinning paste and heat it up with a tinning torch until it starts to bubble. then you wipe the brown stuff off and start to apply the tin by melting it onto the surface. you can spread the tin with a wooden "scraper".

the ingredients all from wuerth...which you can also get in the US

putting on the tinning paste

melting on the tin to the surface

molding it into place

always put a little more than needed

looks pretty ugly but wait and see

i don't know what this tool is called in english but you use it to scrap the tin off :)

after

et voila

to answer you question about the steps after tinning, yes we used "bondo" and filler to even out the last few bumps and bruises.

I'll be posting new pictures of the boss in the next few days.

best regards from vienna

abudi

hi folks,

i just got a few pictures from the paint shop. the last layer of filler was block sanded yesterday and now it's time to put on some paint. i've been waiting for this moment for 1 year so you can image how excited i am. i'll be posting new pictures in the next few day.

thanks for all the reputations points guys!!!

abudi

Back