My '73 Grande

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice offer, Scott.

Unfortunately, the car is in another State for the paint work and I have agreed to the ordering of the new panels.

This guy (Painter/Body man) is supposed to be very good; he has painted most of the "Show" mustangs in the immediate area. What you said about the two weeks seems to validate what the "Restorer" told me as to the added time to replace the panels.

Don't know if you picked up on it or not but the Grande is my "Test" car before turning them loose on my Mach I - - they know this, so I will "add up" all of the "problems" before I let them work on the "bigger" job.

Again, very nice offer and I appreciate it.

BT

It's helpful to see how you are managing the logistics of your project, BT. Thanks for posting the progress you're seeing (or lack thereof).

Scott - With your background, I might ask for some advice about some alignment issues I've found after disassembling some engine bay stuff, if that would be OK. I'm not there yet, but I'm glad to see someone with your experience in our club.

Doc

Yes, I know it has been a while since I have provided an update on this thread but there have been a lot of things going on to include my having purchased a 2003 Mercury marauder which has kept me off my Restorer's case.

Anyway, spoke with my Restorer on this past Monday and he guaranteed that the "Painter" would have the car back in his Shop next week. According to him, the Painter had come and picked up the bumper and the car already has "color" on it and is looking GREAT (his words).

Once he gets it back, he will have to reinstall the headliner, grill, lights, etc. and also have the vinyl top put on the car. I must say, I am getting excited again.

Will certainly keep you all up-to-date with pictures as soon as possible.

BT

Yes, I know it has been a while since I have provided an update on this thread but there have been a lot of things going on to include my having purchased a 2003 Mercury marauder which has kept me off my Restorer's case.

Anyway, spoke with my Restorer on this past Monday and he guaranteed that the "Painter" would have the car back in his Shop next week. According to him, the Painter had come and picked up the bumper and the car already has "color" on it and is looking GREAT (his words).

Once he gets it back, he will have to reinstall the headliner, grill, lights, etc. and also have the vinyl top put on the car. I must say, I am getting excited again.

Will certainly keep you all up-to-date with pictures as soon as possible.

BT

I hate the waiting game:mad:

Mine went into the body shop in June 2009, I told the manager to take his time! He said it would be ready by Thanksgiving, then Christmas! Finally got it back in March 2010, but he did take his time a did a great job! Well worth the wait!

Steve,

The original color is Gold Glow Metallic (Code 6F). I actually decided to stick with that color. I am just changing the original Brown vinyl top to black and adding the Boss 351 stripe treatment and NASA (NACA) hood with Mach 1 grilles.

The original interior was Ginger lambeth Cloth & Corinthian Vinyl.

BT

GREAT News!!!

The "Grande" is back from the "Painter" and the bright yellow gold metallic paint (6F) is absolutely stunning. The "Restorer" still has to add the Boss 351 stripes, reinstall the windows, windshield, headliner, bumper, and other miscellaneous parts but at least it is back in Tennessee!

Yes, it took over a year but in retrospect I (and the First Lady agrees) believe the outcome is well worth the wait. The body and paint work appears to be absolutely "top drawer." The most time-consuming thing yet to be done is putting the vinyl top on it as the "Upholsterer" who has a shop right next to the "Restorer wont be able to get to it until the end of next week. So, I am thinking another two or three weeks.

I tell you, I am getting REAL excited again!!

BT

Good Point TNFASTBK, uh OLE PONY:)!

I have decided that since I have the "old" photos at the top of the thread, I am not going to embarrass "ICE" any further until I have the "after" picture.

Hang in there, "the check is in the mail" and I think it might be worth the wait. LOL

BT

How about just a little sneak preview/teaser pic; maybe just a close-up shot to show the color. Don't need to embarrass ICE, so no under carriage pics.

Congrats! I'm excited too, and anxiously awaiting Big Block data...

When you get the bugs lined out, I may have to pay you a visit... the wife (originally from Memphis) informs me that a 71-73 Coupe was one of her favorite cars back in the 80's... guy in town had one that had enough torque that you couldn't reach the dash on takeoff!

Well, I did take a cell phone shot of "Ice's" current status.

As you can see, the hood locks are not yet installed; nor are the Boss 351-type stripes or vinyl top...All coming soon:).

4r22pc.jpg

BT

Roy, nothing against the Boss hood but it came down to personal preference. I guess I just like that "look" or how it will look. Keep in mind that the car will have the "Mach 1 grills" - - front and rear.

Again, not trying to build a clone but am putting "my" touch to it, especially since it has the big block (472) Ford motor, modified C6 and 3:50 traction lok.

EVERYTHING is upgraded to the way that I envision Ford would have done it, if they could have legally done so using the BBF motor in 1973:).

BT

Looks good to me but, what is important is it looks good to you. The second gear pull with that engine should put a smile on anyone's face. Well done. Chuck

Back