My highschool car 1971 mach 1 m code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad bought it for me when I was 14. Something to keep me out of trouble. It came in pieces from Cordele ga around 1982ishThis block was bare interior stripped and trans from behind the guys house. Dad and I spent years scouring the southeast digging up parts here and there. I Finally got it going in my senior year in high school. drove is about 5k miles after the engine build, then life had other plans. Had a kid went roadracing motorcycles. 35 years pass its been in my dads basement. Dads gotten sick and the house had to go. So the car came home with me and is now back inside over at my moms.
That is the factory paint from 1971, its a ram air ac, ps pb car, but as a dumb kid I removed most of that and have started the quest for putting it back closer to stock. Yes it still runs but the cam is an old fireball 302/330 dur 505/516 lift with an edelbrock torker hooker supercomp headers and a 650 double pumper. so the vacuum is like 7hg at idle. Ive replaced the brake booster, master cyl rear wheel cylinders hardware and shoes, front pads and hardware.

Last edited:
My dad bought it for me when I was 14. Something to keep me out of trouble. It came in pieces from Cordele ga around 1982ishThis block was bare interior stripped and trans from behind the guys house. Dad and I spent years scouring the southeast digging up parts here and there. I Finally got it going in my senior year in high school. drove is about 5k miles after the engine build, then life had other plans. Had a kid went roadracing motorcycles. 35 years pass its been in my dads basement. Dads gotten sick and the house had to go. So the car came home with me and is now back inside over at my moms.
That is the factory paint from 1971, its a ram air ac, ps pb car, but as a dumb kid I removed most of that and have started the quest for putting it back closer to stock. Yes it still runs but the cam is an old fireball 302/330 dur 505/516 lift with an edelbrock torker hooker supercomp headers and a 650 double pumper. so the vacuum is like 7hg at idle. Ive replaced the brake booster, master cyl rear wheel cylinders hardware and shoes, front pads and hardware.
That's a cool story Speedfreak! I have a similar story but I wish I had old photos of me and the car back in the day. Mine was a 71 M code Mach I with auto trans, A/C, and standard ginger interior in Medium Yellow Gold my dad bought for me from a used car lot on Canal Street in New Orleans back in 1977 when I was 17. The bondo and undercoating over the trunk floor was still sticky, lol. I remember looking at the tires and asking the dealer if they were "radials," and he said, "Oh yes, them there's radials!" A month later one of the recaps came off the tire at 90 mph and nearly ripped the front fender off! I loved that car more than life itself and have lots of fond memories working on it with my dad. Little did my dad know how much trouble I would get into with the car, but he took it in stride like everything else.

Speedfreak, welcome to the community and that is a great story. Still have my first car as well, my 72 Mach 1. Not as highly optioned as yours, but it is still my first and you know the feeling and memories that evokes. Great to have you join us and please share your stories and questions as you work to bring the car back as you would like too. I am just across the line in Chattanooga, TN if you are close buy and need help or questions.

Speedfreak, welcome to the community and that is a great story. Still have my first car as well, my 72 Mach 1. Not as highly optioned as yours, but it is still my first and you know the feeling and memories that evokes. Great to have you join us and please share your stories and questions as you work to bring the car back as you would like too. I am just across the line in Chattanooga, TN if you are close buy and need help or questions.

Welcome from AZ. Great story on the car. I've still got mine from HS as well. Yours looks to have been kept in much better condition than mine, however. I stored mine on the side of the house for a lot of years and the AZ heat and sun did its thing.
None or very few are still perfect. Just like us it builds character.

You can ad a vacuum reserve can if the brakes are a problem with 7hg.

Latest posts

Back