MYSTERY Insulated line

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
302-2v
C4

I have been working the last few days replacing all my brake lines.  While im under the car taking off the front cross over brake line I noticed this insulated line just hanging there connected to nothing.

Im just curious if anyone could shed some light on what this goes to.

Thanks

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to the choke housing on the carb(?)

very possible. Hopefully someone has a picture of where it connects. That would really be helpful.

I have been working the last few days replacing all my brake lines.  While im under the car taking off the front cross over brake line I noticed this insulated line just hanging there connected to nothing.

Thanks

Jim

It goes from the rh exhaust manifold to somewhere on the carb choke. housing. I may have my old manifolds from a 302. The right one has this line intact.

Thanks

Jim

It goes from the rh exhaust manifold to somewhere on the carb  choke. housing.  I may have my old manifolds from a 302. The right one has this line intact.

OK keep looking for a picture.

Is this hard tubing line made? Or do I have to make one of my own.

Is this hard tubing line made?  Or do I have to make one of my own.
No idea if it's available by itself. It appears to be possibly pressed into the manifold and there is a connecting nut on the other end.

Are you saying you can't open the picture? I sent it from my phone to my computer then copied and pasted it to the forum. It comes up when I read the post on my computer. I'll ask my wife to sort the picture problem out if it doesn't work for you...………...LOL!!!

Is this hard tubing line made?  Or do I have to make one of my own.
No idea if it's available by itself. It appears to be possibly pressed into the manifold and there is a connecting nut on the other end.

Are you saying you can't open the picture? I sent it from my phone to my computer then copied and pasted it to the forum. It comes up when I read the post on my computer. I'll ask my wife to sort the picture problem out if it doesn't work for you...………...LOL!!!

yea the picture is not working. Ive been having that trouble all day. The only way ive been able to make it work is with the QUICK edit. in that mode uploading a picture works, but not in full edit mode.

I did find the choke tube kit on CJ's and NPD. I just cant locate where the manifold end goes.

They're just pushed into the exhaust manifold, not a pressed in fit. The tubing keeps itself in place when connected to the choke. They can usually be worked loose if stuck due to rust, penetrating oil and patience, don't work the tubing too much, or it will deform or break. I've had to drill out a broken one more than once. There will also be another tube that is hard line where it's connected to the exhaust manifold, and changes to rubber and is then connected to a fitting on the carburetor. It provides a filtered air source. The choke is connected to a vacuum source internally in the carburetor and pulls heated air in from the exhaust manifold.

There should be a couple of 1/4" holes in the top of the passenger side exhaust manifold, an inch or so apart.

I don't know if they are available, but they're easy enough to make.

" There will also be another tube that is hard line where it's connected to the exhaust manifold, and changes to rubber and is then connected to a fitting on the carburetor. It provides a filtered air source. The choke is connected to a vacuum source internally in the carburetor and pulls heated air in from the exhaust manifold.

There should be a couple of 1/4" holes in the top of the passenger side exhaust manifold, an inch or so apart.

I don't know if they are available, but they're easy enough to make."

That may be what Im missing.  Maybe the tube just hangs there and a rubber hose connects the tube to the manifold stub somewhere.  I will have to get under there tommorow and see if I can see anything.

yea the picture is not working.  Ive been having that trouble all day.  The only way ive been able to make it work is with the QUICK edit.  in that mode uploading a picture works, but not in full edit mode.

I did find the choke tube kit on CJ's and NPD.  I just cant locate where the manifold end goes.

I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for online, but these two pictures should give you a good idea of how they were connected.

This one is of an earlier manifold with the tubes connected, but yours should connect the same

This is of a 4-barrel carburetor that shows the heat (insulated) connection to the choke and the fresh air connection to the carburetor air cleaner flange, the 2-barrel connection is the same.

It's also possible someone converted your choke to electric, and didn't bother to remove the heated tube after they dropped it.

Thanks again for more great pictures. Its so hard to see that area with the strut brace in the way. I guess im going to try to work my phone down in there tomorrow to see if I can snap a pic or 2. You would think with that insulated line disconnected that there would be a hell of an exhaust leak, yet I dont hear any signs of that. Im almost thinking that the manifolds on the passenger side are later model that dont have that on it. But I will have to look closer now that I know what to look for.

Thanks again for more great pictures.  Its so hard to see that area with the strut brace in the way.  I guess im going to try to work my phone down in there tomorrow to see if I can snap a pic or 2.  You would think with that insulated line disconnected that there would be a hell of an exhaust leak, yet I dont hear any signs of that.  Im almost thinking that the manifolds on the passenger side are later model that dont have that on it.  But I will have to look closer now that I know what to look for.
As you can see in the picture, both lines ran to the exhaust manifold the top one to the choke and the bottom one to the carb.

Back