New Carburetor Installation/Hookup

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millertime

Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang fastback mach 1
So, I've installed a new carburetor (Summit 600 CFM w/ electric choke) and I have a few questions about some of the hookups. I've only been working on the car for a couple years, so my knowledge is pretty limited as I've taken on new projects with it. One of the main things is that I don't really know what half of the lines do in the engine bay (lol). I've managed to get most of it hooked up based off of the previous carburetor but a few of the lines I've have had me stumped with the new carb having some of the hookups in different locations or potentially not there from what I can tell.

Photos from the original setup:
Engine_2_annotated.jpg
Engine_3_annotated.jpg

1. The larger diameter hose at the back of the carburetor had a large hole it went in previously, my new carb doesn't seem to have this hole and I'm not sure what the hose is for or if it's needed.

2. The smaller diameter hose threaded onto the choke, so I'm not sure if I need a different hose to be able to attach it to one of the vacuum ports at the front of my new carb.

3. When I bought the car a few years ago, this hose wasn't attached to anything and I don't really know what it goes to.

Current photos of my setup here:
IMG_1131.jpegIMG_1132.jpegIMG_1133.jpegIMG_1134.jpegIMG_1135.jpegIMG_1136.jpeg

If you notice anything else that seems off, feel free to mention it. Thanks for the help and the knowledge!

1 and 3 are your PCV system. 3 connects to your air cleaner. 1 needs to be connected to a big central port on the carb. Sometimes in the front, sometimes in the rear. It doesn't matter which one.

The little metal piece in 1 is not supposed to be there. Looks like maybe you pulled that piece off that was supposed to stay connected to the old carb. You should be able to find a big port on the carb, slip the hose directly on it, and slap a little hose clamp on it.

Without reading your owners manual, my guess would be the big black connector in the bottom left corner of this image. The one with the largest rubber cap on it.
1724635071583.png

Your old and new photos both show the choke as not hooked up. Your car will probably run like crap if you don't supply power to the electric choke.

The factory style choke, I would just remove and put rubber caps on the vacuum ports still on the engine. That choke tube does nothing now. Delete it and cap it off.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the help. Just to be sure, I can remove #2 and cap it off at the back of the engine? Also, how is power typically supplied to an electric choke? It didn't mention anything about it in the manual off the top of my head, but I'm sure I can reach out to Summit and get them to steer me in the right direction if there's a part I'm missing.

Most people pull power off the sta terminal of the alternator. Thats how ford did it. Or if you car had the anti-diesel solenoid, that isn't used for aftermarket carbs, that is another common choice.

Your fuel line is in backwards...... unless you plan on running the line all the way to the back over a hot engine.
It is tight in there to get a solid line to the carb. Here's a pic of what I did to solve that on my car.
NOTE: if you use rubber lines, use Injector grade (ethanol resistant) and proper fuel line clamps, no gear clamps!!

Attachments

• IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0980 (2).JPG
    IMG_0980 (2).JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Back