New rebuilt 3rd member leaks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I assembled my rear axle with a newly rebuilt 3rd member and installed it on the car. Its been a few weeks but I looked and noticed its leaking around where the yoke goes in. Anyone have any ideas? The guy who did the job is 100 miles away. I'm hoping its a simple fix.

Pinion seal.

Probably assembled dry or wrong part installed.

not a big deal pop it out and install new using a socket sized to seal or something flat a piece of pipe

etc drive in a new one with gasket sealer on outside of seal and oil the rubber inner and the yoke.

I prefer non hardening Permatex.

Paul

If it was set up using a crush sleeve (most likely) and not a solid spacer, you should follow the procedure in the Ford shop manual, 15-10-04. Same page, different paragraph, for solid spacer. Significantly wrong "crush" and the set up is blown. Chuck

If it was set up using a crush sleeve (most likely) and not a solid spacer, you should follow the procedure in the Ford shop manual, 15-10-04. Same page, different paragraph, for solid spacer. Significantly wrong "crush" and the set up is blown. Chuck
It was set up with a spacer.

When it's out, check your pinion for a seal groove wear "line", possibly allowing (another) new seal to leak as well.

Why should you have to do anything to a brand new or rebuilt part that you paid good money for ? I'd call the company that rebuilt it tell them the issue..Ask for a prepaid shipping label send it back have them make it right..I'd also ask for a credit or some compensation for your labor & new gear oil materials

Back