Nick and Rick Learning as We Go

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is a pic of the gauges I'm going to be using. I need help wiring the gauges to the ignition switch. I also am unclear what rocketman means when he says to put a jumper in the oem tach connector.

oil pressure gauge.jpg

Oh that wiring looks good!

NOT.

Your dash is a good candidate for a complete overhaul for wiring bypassing the circuit card for the aftermarket gauges. I just did that for a customer who had a complete aftermarket dash and gauges on a 69. The harness wasn't wrapped, because Autometer wanted an in-line fuse for the tach power and I had to give the customer access to it.

Aftermarketcluster.jpg

Midlife, I was wondering if we could private message to discuss you re-wiring my under dash harness.

I was wondering if when you guys replaced your instrument cluster lights with LEDs did you take out the blue filters.

yesterday I made a bracket for my new ultra-lite oil pressure, water temp and volt electric gauges. I haven't got the bracket mounted to center trim yet. I just needed something for the gauges to mount to so I could send them and my wiring harness to midlife.

WP_20150508_001.jpg

WP_20150508_002.jpg

here's an update on my progress. I got back my harnesses from midlife and installed them. I also wired the dashmate stereo. Today I attempted to make the lens to the center cluster more visible. I used mothers nulens headlight renewal kit. It's not perfect but I didn't expect it to be for 40 year old plastic. I am happy with the outcome.

WP_20150530_001.jpg

WP_20150402_001.jpg

WP_20150611_002.jpg

WP_20150611_003.jpg

WP_20150611_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if when you guys replaced your instrument cluster lights with LEDs did you take out the blue filters.
Not sure if this is still relevant, but I ended up taking out the blue lenses and replacing the incandescent bulbs with wide angle LEDs. The reason I took out the old lenses was because they were faded and brittle. I like the outcome, but am gonna take it all apart again and paint the inside of the gauge cluster in a metallic silver for better reflection of the light emitted from the LEDs. I am a bit of a perfectionist and think this will help disperse the light more evenly.

Here's an update on my progress, I got all the wiring done. I'm waiting on a concourse starter solenoid so I can test the wiring before I put the windshield in. The last thing I have to wire is a rear vies mirror camera system so I can see out the back and my blind spots. Today I worked on making the connection between the rag joint and steering column better. After reading some threads on the potential for the rag joint to fail I decided to find a way to make the rag joint and steering column fit better. I used a 5/16"-2.5" bolt with a spacer to make up the material between the rag joint hole. Here are some pictures.

WP_20150808_001.jpg

WP_20150808_002.jpg

I was wondering if and what color I should paint my gas tank. My old gas tank was painted black so I was planning on painting the new tank black. But after researching on the forum and looking at the MCA judging form it says the tank should be natural. What should I do. here are some pictures.

WP_20150831_006.jpg

WP_20150831_008.jpg

WP_20150831_009.jpg

WP_20150831_010.jpg

I would degrease and simply paint the tank with a low gloss clear. You'll get the look of bare steel with the protection of the clear.

BTW, interesting to see a manual steering car, not that many made. Mine is M/S, but only because I swapped one in.

Strip off the black and spray it with a couple cans of Eastwood tank tone. Has the look of the galvanized metal and looks fresh. If you want concors, buy the new tank.

I bought a new tank and wanted to know if I should paint it black to match the old tank or just clear it.

Sorry. I missed that as well. New tank, a satin clear. Or just leave it natural. It will not discolor if you keep it clean. Being your in CA doubt you see a whole lot of rain.

Back