No dash warning lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prlanger

Reaction score
My Car
1971, Mach 1, Ram Air J code, 429 Cobra Jet. Light Pewter Metallic. C6.
Hi Guys,

I have a 71' Mach 1.

When i turn the ignition key on i have no red dash warning lights for Alt or Oil pressure. Is this normal? My 68' has both of these.

If this is not right, any ideas? I have removed the dash and checked all the globes - they are all good.

Cheers

Peter

Those lamps are driven by a RUN-only line, originating at the ignition switch. The most likely cause of your condition is either a poor connection at the dash cluster connector or a bad circuit card. Other causes are less likely: bad wiring to the voltage regulator and to the brake master cylinder.

Just curious, is the fuel gauge working?
Yes all gauges and gauge lights working.

Those lamps are driven by a RUN-only line, originating at the ignition switch. The most likely cause of your condition is either a poor connection at the dash cluster connector or a bad circuit card. Other causes are less likely: bad wiring to the voltage regulator and to the brake master cylinder.
Ok I'll check that thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your engine temp a light or gauge?

A quick check that you can do for the oil light is to do this. Disconnect the wire to the oil pressure sender and with a meter place one lead to the motor (Good ground) and the other to the post of the oil pressure switch on the motor. With the motor off you should have continuity. Then turn on the motor and you should have an open, if you don't then your sensor is bad or you may have a gauge oil sensor installed. Then with the connector that goes on the oil pressure switch, ground that connector and check to see if the light came on. If it didn't then the issue is upstream from there. For the oil light the sensor provides a ground to light the light until the motor starts and an preset pressure is reached which causes the sensor to open and remove the grd and the light goes out.

If the above doesn't work for the oil light.

Since your fuel gauge is working the CVR should be good, that would leave the PC film or the connector as possible issues. My next move would be to remove the connector and then reinstall. Sometimes a film builds up between the connectors over time and it just needs to be reseated.

Is your engine temp a light or gauge?

A quick check that you can do for the oil light is to do this. Disconnect the wire to the oil pressure sender and with a meter place one lead to the motor (Good ground) and the other to the post of the oil pressure switch on the motor. With the motor off you should have continuity. Then turn on the motor and you should have an open, if you don't then your sensor is bad or you may have a gauge oil sensor installed. Then with the connector that goes on the oil pressure switch, ground that connector and check to see if the light came on. If it didn't then the issue is upstream from there. For the oil light the sensor provides a ground to light the light until the motor starts and an preset pressure is reached which causes the sensor to open and remove the grd and the light goes out.

If the above doesn't work for the oil light.

Since your fuel gauge is working the CVR should be good, that would leave the PC film or the connector as possible issues. My next move would be to remove the connector and then reinstall. Sometimes a film builds up between the connectors over time and it just needs to be reseated.
Thank you

I will check.

Latest posts

Back