Noob in Utah

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 351C Grabber Lime Green
Hi all! I bought a 1972 Mach 1 last September. I've driven it two miles total (I'm pathetic!). I'm an elementary school teacher who is really needing the year to end so I can enjoy my car!

I've usually worked on SUV's and off-roading vehicles due to our horrible winters here, but always wanted a Mustang. My mom says Mustang was my first word and I could identify all of the different models from about age 4 (1977). I felt it was fitting to get one about my age. :)

Hopefully I can find some others in the area that know more than I do. This thing just needs some fine tuning and it should be good for many years. The guy I bought it from just had a new Holley carb installed and it obviously wasn't jetted or tuned for mile high altitude. I'm not a novice mechanic, but I would like to pick the brain of some of you who specialize in the 351c. I'd be happy to tell you anything and everything about the Toyota 120 platform vehicles. :p

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Please remember to post a pin on the member map under "fun stuff" at the top right of the page.

Howdy from Phoenix. Let's see some pics!

There are some folks who know a bit about the 351c.

One of the first things that you will find out and will confuse you is there are two basic versions. The '2v' and the '4v'. Do some research on them. The biggest thing to know is the heads are interchangeable on the blocks but the port size of the '2v' and '4v' heads are very different. Other components like intake and exhaust manifold/headers are generally not interchangeable. The heads came in various configs of chamber sizes and valve train components.

From the factory the smaller '2v' Clevelands came with 2bbl carbs and the larger '4v' Clevelands came with 4bbl carbs.

IT IS VERY COMMON for people to put an aftermarket 4bbl intake manifold that works with the smaller ported 2v heads. That is, the intake is made for a 4bbl carb but has the smaller 2v ports. This is most likely what you have. It's a fine setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from West Texas... from a fellow Utahn [transplanted in Texas by the Air Force].

There's a handful of members from Utah here - where ya at? I grew up in Sandy, and joined the AF in 1986... so it's been a LONG time for me.

Since nobody else has gone there:

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Wow, what a tremendous welcome from you all! I can already tell this is a board I will spend a lot of time on and hopefully be an asset to in some form or another. If nothing else... I have a third garage if anybody needs space to come do some work on their car on a weekend. That was the deal when we got our house. My wife got the house of her dreams. I got to paint it in Seahawks colors (originally from Seattle), and I got a third garage for the muscle car I ultimately decided on. I am truly married to the greatest lady ever.

I work in Murray which is just on the outskirts of Salt Lake City proper, but live in Lehi, which is about a 25 minute drive from here (near Provo and Orem which are both pretty good sized cities). I am looking at retiring next month at the end of the school year at age 41 because I have had 5 major spine and leg surgeries due to some injuries I suffered after getting kicked in the leg during a softball game when I was 30. It ended up snapping my leg, and then everything fell apart from then including breaking my neck and having it and my lower spine fused. Yuck. No fun. But I can still wrench on a car and enjoy it when I can. My son is 11 and has always loved cars as I have, so I thought this would be a fun little bonding process and project for us. I've been laid up literally months at a time for the last five years, especially during summers when I was resting up for the next school year and trying to heal. Now that I can walk again ok and things are slightly better I am going to make as much time for my wife and kids as possible. So I may be out of work soon. Oh well. I've sort of planned for it, and unfortunately my doctors are telling me to go on permanent disability. I don't so much like the idea, but they say they almost never recommend that someone does, but in my case with so many breaks and problems directly linked to my spinal cord they want me to slow down and take it easier and focus on physical rehab and mental rehab. So it could be for the best.

Sorry for the novel! :)

I will post some pics tonight. I realized they are all on my phone and it just died here at work so I can't even email them to myself. I'll get them up on photobucket this evening and show off the green monster. :) We're still working on a nickname for it, so feel free to add an idea if you'd like. My son wants to call it something different each day and can't decide.

I love the info about the 2V and 4V. My Marti report lists it as a 2V, but the air cleaner housing has a 4V sticker on it. I've barely touched anything thus far. Just ordered a couple of small parts and will begin the process of making it better than it is now.

Thanks again guys! I look forward to turning this car into a daily driver from May-September. If I'm at home that means a mile a day to take my kids to school and back. ;)

-Jon

Jon,did you always like the 123 clydesdales, or was it a spur of the moment decision for you?

I found the best part of owning one of these is the learning journey.

Once you legitimately finish justifying money to spend on it, you'll be like us, and you'll start inventing reasons why you need to buy other stuff for it!

He he.

Enjoy the journey...

Back