NOS full quarter replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walterm

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sportsroof 351C 4V 4 speed
I am in the process of replacing my quarter panels with NOS pieces. The quarter panel goes under the roof skin and has to go over the interior quarter window support sheet metal. I am having trouble getting the quarter panel in place without bending the roof skin or QP to get it in place properly. It looks like the quarter was installed before the roof skin. Any ideas on how to do this?

Mark

I am in the process of replacing my quarter panels with NOS pieces. The quarter panel goes under the roof skin and has to go over the interior quarter window support sheet metal. I am having trouble getting the quarter panel in place without bending the roof skin or QP to get it in place properly. It looks like the quarter was installed before the roof skin. Any ideas on how to do this?

Mark
It's a funky set of moves to get the full qtr panel in place. I've done it numerous times. Your going to need a few shims or spacers to hold open the roof skin joint. Bending up the tab of the roof panel a little bit is ok since that joint gets welded and covered. You may also need to trim a little bit of the front corner that goes under the roof meets the drip rail. The car should be jacked up in the rear The higher you can get the car the better. You need to have the panel angled when you start low in the rear almost at the floor and the front part in the door jamb while at the same time lined up for the front top corner to slide in at the roof while also lining up the qtr window area. You then bring the rear up and foreward at the same time also lining up the outer wheelhouse to slide under the roof and into the qtr window area at the same time. Once you get that you then use a few body spoons pry bars to get the rear window channel over the inner struture. You should have someone helping makes its it a lot easier

Ok, so it can be done. I do not want to replace the roof, it is in good shape. Thanks for the tips, I will give it a go and post pics.

Mark

Ok, so it can be done. I do not want to replace the roof, it is in good shape. Thanks for the tips, I will give it a go and post pics.

Mark
Absolutely can be done my q-code has 2 nos FULL QTRS on it no splices not only that I had them on and off numerous times for fitting

Back