Occupations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My forte' is that of an Certified Aircraft Maintenance Tech with an Inspection Authorization having taught Aviation Maintenance at the college level and operating my own general aviation maintenance facility. However, between the economy and 9/11 I have had to let that go and now only practice aircraft maintenance for a small core of customers and in support of the homebuilt airplane genre. I bounced around from 2011 to 2013 and experienced logging, custom woodwork, heavy equipment maintenance, and 6 months as a welder / fabricator in an aluminum foundry. During this time I was reinventing myself as an industrial mechanic and in January I landed on my feet as a Robotics Maintenance Technician for Thyssenkrupp Presta. Its going to take a couple of years to dig myself out of the hole the last few years have created, however, the future seems bright enough that I dusted off the old Mustang and joined your forums to do some catching up on the Mustang world.

Figure I'll jump in on this thread. I'm a launch vehicle engineer, 1st Lieutenant at Vandenberg AFB. Working on certifying the company SpaceX to launch government satellites but usually doing quality assurance on rockets that get launched here. If those in California haven't seen a rocket launch, yall best come here and watch one!

I worked in a welding and fab shop for 2yrs then went to a truck shop where I lengthened and shortened truck frames and did all the paint and body on them for 8yrs and now I am working in a GM dealership in the body-shop where we fix the vehicles ourselves from start to finish been there 1.5yrs I do my own body and paint the cars as they come in

I work in insurance. Commercial underwriter for most if my 12 year career. Now work the home office in the underwriting department. Not my dream job but pays the bills and supports my Ford car addiction.

Figure I'll jump in on this thread. I'm a launch vehicle engineer, 1st Lieutenant at Vandenberg AFB. Working on certifying the company SpaceX to launch government satellites but usually doing quality assurance on rockets that get launched here. If those in California haven't seen a rocket launch, yall best come here and watch one!
Awesome, there is even a rocket scientist here!

So cool

Here's my thing. Owner of a specialized trucking business. Beauty is my company truck mechanic is a millwright and also a hot rod guy. In short, I am spoiled as he can fabricate as needed and knows far more about cars than I do so he does much of the work. And the bonus...he is on my payroll...so keeps my costs real low. That said, a rocket scientists...how cool is that.

Cheers all.

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic. Proud member of The International Union Of Operating Engineers, Local 103.

Joe

So, what do you guys do to help support your Mustang addictions?

I am a Heavy Duty Parts Manager for Mack, Volvo and UD/Nissan Diesel Trucks. I also specialize in antique Mack parts. I work for a Mack dealer in South Western Pa and we ship antique Mack parts all over the world. We also handle parts, sales and service for New Macks, Volvos and UD! Keeps me pretty busy but allows me a lot of time on the keyboard to manage the dealership website, forum and some of my other projects (like this! LOL)

So that's enough about me...how about you guys?
I am a construction manager for Royal Dutch Shell (Shell to Americans) working in Korea on our Prelude Floating LNG Project. Google it as it is pretty darn impressive.

Well I'm making a leap of faith. I've worked for my current employer for 8 years now and while the job has been secure I keep getting my goals bumped with no more pay or benefits. I've been running one if his shops for a 4 years and there's some personal gripes that have just added up to me realizing that I've pretty much reached the end of the line.

While business is good the "family" is content on what works and doesn't want to grow the company so I've toyed with jumping ship. Plus, at the end I the day people "general public" really annoy me and I'm not really fit for my position I've been forcing myself to do 6 days a week.

So I was offered a really nice job opportunity for 3rd largest painting and striping contractor on the east coast. I'll be joining them as a lead technician for their shop to keep up with over 90 vehicles ranging from f150-f750's, internationals, macks, and Isuzu's. I'll be receiving many nice benefits, some of the best health and dental plans/rates i've never had before. My base pay salary will be 35% more only working 40hrs a week instead of 60+.

What this means for me is I'm coming out my comfort zone and actually going to be schooled, trained, and certified in so many ways that I'm super excited about.

Oh yeah and extra time and cash to work on my car and spend time with family will be a big plus!

Well I'm making a leap of faith. I've worked for my current employer for 8 years now and while the job has been secure I keep getting my goals bumped with no more pay or benefits. I've been running one if his shops for a 4 years and there's some personal gripes that have just added up to me realizing that I've pretty much reached the end of the line.

While business is good the "family" is content on what works and doesn't want to grow the company so I've toyed with jumping ship. Plus, at the end I the day people "general public" really annoy me and I'm not really fit for my position I've been forcing myself to do 6 days a week.

So I was offered a really nice job opportunity for 3rd largest painting and striping contractor on the east coast. I'll be joining them as a lead technician for their shop to keep up with over 90 vehicles ranging from f150-f750's, internationals, macks, and Isuzu's. I'll be receiving many nice benefits, some of the best health and dental plans/rates i've never had before. My base pay salary will be 35% more only working 40hrs a week instead of 60+.

What this means for me is I'm coming out my comfort zone and actually going to be schooled, trained, and certified in so many ways that I'm super excited about.

Oh yeah and extra time and cash to work on my car and spend time with family will be a big plus!
Congrats and good luck to you.

I say go for it, large companies have always taken very good care of me. The benefits are a huge life factor as well, especially if you have a family. Not having to pay $20,000 in hospital bills for the birth of a child, for example, is a huge benefit. It's nice having that cushion to fall on for health reasons. Also, depending on where the job is, relocation is typically covered and usually means an exciting new place to call home. Change can be a good thing, for sure.

After reading all the posts on this thread, I have to say WOW! Amazing amount of talent.

I am 3 year army vet, two years of Automotive machinist school, 10 years a UPS as a mechanic and district fleet supervisor, 10 years as a ford sales consultant, the last 11 years at King County Metro Transit as bus driver and now transit supervisor in Seattle.

When I grow up I want specialize in 65-73 mustangs, mild to wild.

Staci

Wow, everyone here is amazingly talented and well-employed!

Me, I trained as a mechanic, and worked all of my life in the automotive field. Not always easy, a female in a man's world but most of it has been fun.

Now, I work about 30 hours a week for my local NAPA store, because I also take care of my elderly parents and the house and yard. Also because of major back surgery 18 months ago, I have to watch how long I am on my feet.

But lots of time to play with the car!

"What this means for me is I'm coming out my comfort zone," I feel you, had to re-invent myself starting about a year ago went from being self-employed and in charge for years to the bottom of the pile in manufacturing maintenance. grrrr Hang tough !

Yes, I'll be going from "general manager" to bottom of totem pole. However I think it's for the best, this new company provides more training and more experience for me to dive into and learn. Plus it's more money, less hours and hopefully less stress. Being responsible for anything and everything over last 4 years has taken its tole on me. I couldn't even have time off or a vacation without worrying about something at the business. It's just not for me and while I'm still young I will go on to explore new ventures.

Latest posts

Back