Oil pan level

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this said, its kind of counterintuitive to have the deep sump in the front because during acceleration, when you are revving and need the oil, the oil will move back and increase the risk of starvation.

Edit: I guess that's what the baffle's function is! Kind of trap the oil between the baffle and the backwall of the sump.

1971 M-code Mach 1
The deep sump in the front is pretty pronounced with a steep grade separating it from the rear. The front baffle is there to prevent sloshing of the oil out of the front sump area. I wouldn't want to do a long uphill race with this front sump design though. I don't really race anyway, so none of this really matters. :p
Exactly, during acceleration in a flattish surface the baffle/sump design may be sufficient, but for a continuous imbalanced situation such as a hill, then the oil will flow to the rear and may starve the pump pickup. So I agree, no uphill racing! ::thumb::

This metal flap "scrapes," without touching of course, the oil which is clinging to the crank. This can be bent upward to do a better job of removing oil from the crank. Obviously, one would need to do careful measurements and check to make sure there is no contact with the crank. The baffle does help to allow the oil which drains to the back of the pan and also the oil which gets thrown to the back of the pan during those launches we all love, drain more efficiently to the front sump area. The crank, as it spins causes "windage" and would impede this flow toward the front, especially at higher rpms. So essentially your rear baffle is a Ford factory crank scraper and windage tray in one.
That makes sense. Thank you. Do we know which cars had this factory "windage" tray?
Me? I don't know sh*t, I'm making all this sh*t up...rofl

Great job on your measurements. You upped me on this one. In your pan it is easier to see the level because you dont have that rear baffle thing. Was that in place in some models and others not to help with oil flowing back? My is an M code.

1971 M-code Mach 1
Thanks Tony, not trying to "up" anyone just thought it was interesting. Your rear baffle actually has a "crank scraper" cut into it by Ford...

This metal flap "scrapes," without touching of course, the oil which is clinging to the crank. This can be bent upward to do a better job of removing oil from the crank. Obviously, one would need to do careful measurements and check to make sure there is no contact with the crank. The baffle does help to allow the oil which drains to the back of the pan and also the oil which gets thrown to the back of the pan during those launches we all love, drain more efficiently to the front sump area. The crank, as it spins causes "windage" and would impede this flow toward the front, especially at higher rpms. So essentially your rear baffle is a Ford factory crank scraper and windage tray in one.

Since mine doesn't have one, I am going to install an aftermarket windage tray made by Canton. Ironically, I believe it was turtle5353 who stated, in another thread, that he has a 408 stroker, with a stock pan, with a Canton windage tray and it all fits.(same set-up as me) I'm hoping he's correct. :chin:
Hey Chris I got to looking around and I think I may have gave you some bum info..... I think the windage tray we used on my motor was a Milodon not Canton. Not sure if it will make a difference but I just wanted to give you a heads up before you install yours and start cussing me out!!! :D Heres a link to the one we used in my motor. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. Also my pan did not have the factory windage tray shown in the earlier pics of this thread. My pan was from a 73 Ranchero if I remember correctly.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-32220/overview/make/ford

24cwd4w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, during acceleration in a flattish surface the baffle/sump design may be sufficient, but for a continuous imbalanced situation such as a hill, then the oil will flow to the rear and may starve the pump pickup. So I agree, no uphill racing! ::thumb::
This is a legitimate concern and is likely why Ford used a 6-quart dipstick on Bosses.

I had the opposite problem. We had a '55 Willys 4x4 wagon and a '64 F100. I pulled the 292 "Y" block and 4-speed out of the F100 (replaced with a 390 and C6) and put them in the Willys wagon. The "Y" block had a rear sump that was great for going uphill. However, going down very steep hills occasionally reduced my oil pressure. I found that by overfilling by a half a quart of oil I didn't have that problem.

Race cars don't use stock oil pans.

Great job on your measurements. You upped me on this one. In your pan it is easier to see the level because you dont have that rear baffle thing. Was that in place in some models and others not to help with oil flowing back? My is an M code.

1971 M-code Mach 1
Thanks Tony, not trying to "up" anyone just thought it was interesting. Your rear baffle actually has a "crank scraper" cut into it by Ford...

Since mine doesn't have one, I am going to install an aftermarket windage tray made by Canton. Ironically, I believe it was turtle5353 who stated, in another thread, that he has a 408 stroker, with a stock pan, with a Canton windage tray and it all fits.(same set-up as me) I'm hoping he's correct. :chin:
Hey Chris I got to looking around and I think I may have gave you some bum info..... I think the windage tray we used on my motor was a Milodon not Canton. Not sure if it will make a difference but I just wanted to give you a heads up before you install yours and start cussing me out!!! :D Heres a link to the one we used in my motor. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. Also my pan did not have the factory windage tray shown in the earlier pics of this thread. My pan was from a 73 Ranchero if I remember correctly.

24cwd4w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

24cwd4w.jpg
Kevin, that sucks. I already spent $135. on the canton tray and the mount kit based on you stating that it would fit...that you had it on your stroker. I believe I even asked you for specifically for clarification, prior to my ordering from Summit.

"You got to looking around..." What does that mean? Did you look in your oil pan or did you find a receipt? So do you "think" you used the Milodon or did you actually use the Milodon. You just stated..."I think the windage tray we used..." & "Heres a link to the one we used..." I know how to look it up, (that's not where I needed the help) it was that you were giving me first hand experience that it fit on a 408 stroker with a stock pan.

My bad on taking a recommendation from someone on a forum. I just wish people would get their facts straight BEFORE opening their mouths. How is it helping someone to steer them wrong...just don't say anything or "I don't know," that would be fine. I'll get over it but it does piss me off. WTF. :shootself:

If you can ever ACTUALLY figure out, for sure, which windage tray is on your stroker, that would be the info I was looking for. (maybe you have a receipt or confirmation email)

By the way, my name is Eric. "E"BSTANG

Eric, Sorry about the wrong name. I don't know where I came up with Chris.

And im sorry about the pan. I was going off memory of what it was. I didn't tell you to run out and buy anything. So calm down a bit, it was an honest mistake. I looked at Summits website at the pictures they have listed and I remember mine looking like the milodon. That's all the info I have... my memory aint what it used to be. So take it for what its worth and I apologize for troubles this may have caused you!

Eric, Sorry about the wrong name. I don't know where I came up with Chris.

And im sorry about the pan. I was going off memory of what it was. I didn't tell you to run out and buy anything. So calm down a bit, it was an honest mistake. I looked at Summits website at the pictures they have listed and I remember mine looking like the milodon. That's all the info I have... my memory aint what it used to be. So take it for what its worth and I apologize for troubles this may have caused you!
Kevin, I'm calm. Was always calm. Just would've been better if you said I think I have the Canton windage tray on my stroker, with a stock pan but I'm getting old and I wouldn't count on my memory. I am just more of a literal person. I wouldn't say something or give my opinion, especially when written,(email, text, forum..., etc.) without getting my facts straight, that's all. I can be wrong, on occasion but I really don't take it lightly...and it's not about having to be right, it's more, to me, about being reputable. That's earned by making effort in being right.

We're good, I'll just have to clarify, with you, in the future by asking "...are you absolutely, positively, sure...beyond a shadow of a doubt...swear on your grand daddy's grave...," etc. :whistling:

Back