Original 71 trunk mat

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptrmzr

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351C 4V 4sp 3.50L
Can anyone tell me if 71s Come with an asphalt mat on the trunk floor like with the earlier years?

Thanks!

from what I found so far, just the Grande's came with a Trunk floor mat. Fastbacks had no Trunk Mat just the Spatter paint, and the same with Convertibles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran into a low mileage vert that had mat and tire cover. Any input on verts?
No mats in Verts, Fastback or Mach 1. They will fit since all have the same trunk floor. The collapsible spare would also be an issue if you have one. Mat would probably not fit around the bracket.

The pic is my original Mach 1 with spatter paint that they got on side marker lights, fold down, tail light housings, gas filler and pretty much everything in the trunk. Most mask off everything when doing a rebuild and that is not correct.

I ran into a low mileage vert that had mat and tire cover. Any input on verts?
Jim, while they look good, as others have posted, the Grande was the only 71-73 (excluding some export models) that had a production installed trunk mat. Guess it was a cost cutting measure as any pre 71 Mustang I've owned had a mat.

The issue of the spare tire cover has surfaced occasionally on a couple of other Mustang forums. As good as they look, Ford never production installed a spare tire cover on any 65-73 Mustang. I've checked all the old accessory and sales info I have and they show nothing but the trunk mats.

I feel unless your concours restoring your car you should do what ever you like. I remember my Dad finding a plaid tire cover that matched the trunk mat in his 66 Mustang and it looked good. I also remember seeing some matching tool and small duffle bags. I believe a speckled version of the tire cover is also available for our style beasts.

A lot of what is claimed as original is more than likely  a dealer installed item as it made money for the dealer and fixed the bare metal look that a lot of customers did not like in the trunk area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back