Orlando Members - Reference for a trusted mechanic?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
All- been working on the 72 since getting it home and running into some issues. This previous owner did a lot of "corner cutting" on some things, the oddest being sticking an Edelbrock electric fuel system on it (he stated he had to continuously pump the car to get it going) but rather than troubleshooting that issue first, his "mechanic" slapped the Edelbrock on there and bypassed the orginal setup. So I discovered in driving this more than what the owner had driven it, that if I open it up over your standard 35mph, 45mh, it seems to flood and stalls out. I think its pumping too much fuel and think this Edelbrock was total overkill.

Anyway, there are some things I would just like to have looked at top to bottom but need a reputable and trusted mechanic in the Orlando area. Just so I get a feel for what I am needing to address. Any recommendations or referrals?

Thanks in advance.

PBR

If it's fine up 'til around 35mpg, then you likely have a fuel delivery issue, as in lack of fuel. A simple test is to disconnect the fuel line from the carb and run the pump into a container. You should have a solid, steady stream pumping through. If the stream of fuel is weak, or tapers off, then you may have a blocked line, plugged filter or clogged pickup screen in the tank. You could also have plugged passages in the carb.

I'm assuming you have the red Edelbrock pump shown below. The Edelbrock and other similar style electric ":clicky clack" pumps are designed to push fuel, rather than pull. Edelbrock recommends that they be mounted within a foot of the fuel tank. That said, they will work okay in the engine compartment, but won't pump as well.

Summit has all the installtion instruction on the product listing, they're at the very bottom.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-17303

1723999499555.png

If it's fine up 'til around 35mpg, then you likely have a fuel delivery issue, as in lack of fuel. A simple test is to disconnect the fuel line from the carb and run the pump into a container. You should have a solid, steady stream pumping through. If the stream of fuel is weak, or tapers off, then you may have a blocked line, plugged filter or clogged pickup screen in the tank. You could also have plugged passages in the carb.

I'm assuming you have the red Edelbrock pump shown below. The Edelbrock and other similar style electric ":clicky clack" pumps are designed to push fuel, rather than pull. Edelbrock recommends that they be mounted within a foot of the fuel tank. That said, they will work okay in the engine compartment, but won't pump as well.

Summit has all the installtion instruction on the product listing, they're at the very bottom.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-17303

View attachment 92125
Yep, thats the one he put in alright. And my first thought was a clog or plug. Thanks for the info, I'll run that test.

PBR

Yep, thats the one he put in alright. And my first thought was a clog or plug. Thanks for the info, I'll run that test.

PBR
PBR you're really on the jagged low edge for fuel volume with that little Edelbrock pump. ++ on Hemikiller lack of fuel comment.. Even if you discover a problem such as fuel filter or fuel line issues, step up to a decent electric or factory style pump. Hopefully the previous owner/mechanic did NOT remove the mechanical pump eccentric on the cam if you choose to go back to a mechanical pump.

PBR you're really on the jagged low edge for fuel volume with that little Edelbrock pump. ++ on Hemikiller lack of fuel comment.. Even if you discover a problem such as fuel filter or fuel line issues, step up to a decent electric or factory style pump. Hopefully the previous owner/mechanic did NOT remove the mechanical pump eccentric on the cam if you choose to go back to a mechanical pump.
Thanks my friend. He did not remove the mechanical pump, simply rerouted the line through this Edelbrock. If you have recommendations on an electric pump, do let me know. I'm going to disable the Edelbrock just to do some troubleshooting. As mentioned his comment and reasoning was because he was having to pump the car repeatedly to get it to start, and then his mechanic put this thing on. But of course, you can tell when she stalls out she's gagging for fuel. Its not like she dies and won't crank back up. She stalls, she restarts, but when you step on the pedal to get her moving, she then stalls again. Like I said, before I start digging around in there myself, it would be good to at least have a professional give it the top to bottom so I know what I all have to deal with. I'm sure there are more of these "fixes". Bad enough he hadn't changed the oil in a year...so thats another can of worms waiting to be seen.
PBR

Back