Paint change is ready to pick up

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1965 Mustang 2+2
1973 Mustang Convertable
The silver 73 Vert had developed some Uggerz in it's paint. Most notably If you look above the drivers door handle, right below the rear quarter window, you can see where the paint had a large blister, that is shedding paint.

2qn8a6p.jpg

Then there were the body panel seams between the rear window and trunk lid that had cracked through and paint was chipping away, and where the hood had shifted into the passengers fender, both panels were badly chipped due to vibration and opening and closing the hood.

I'd though most of the paint was good and as we weren't ready to fix(weld up and repair) the holes in the fender door and unibody, that removing the body side molding would leave.

All the paint damage was above the fender top beltline, the same as Chip Foose would use to two tone a paint job. Thus the idea of a "band-aid paint job" Two tone the rascal, al la Foose, and mask off the hood like a Mach I, cept instead of Argent or semi flat black, it would remain body color.

The Vert's top is blue, which worked as long as Robert's concept of Dallas Cowboy's colors was intact(it's got dark blue carpet too). Throwing in another color became a biotch to match. Nothing quite works with the blue vert top. I ended up using the original silver as close as could be matched (must'a been custom color) except several shades darker. The painter texted today, "Car will be ready to pick up after noon"

HooHA!! I excited to see how my idea works, and at the same time dreading to see "it don't work"

Proof/Fail of concept photos will be posted tomorrow.

Tubo

Awesome Corky! I can't wait to see it in person. I may have to just drive over for a weekend at the beach and check it out before the TN/NC/TN mountain road twisty cruise in Sept.

I'm confused though. Did you have just the top half painted?...and in a slightly darker shade of pewter metalic? I like the pewter metalic a whole lot but have always thought just a tad darker may be a nice twist to it. Save the paint formula for future touch up if ever needed.

I've been toying with the idea of color changing one of my red/vermillion cars to pewter metallic and vermillion. So I really want to see yours with shiny new paint so I can dream a little. ;)

Yes Don, a side trip to the beach(beach bar) will be just the thing. There is a whole spectrum of topics we can discuss.

IDK what tint of silver/grey Robert had the Vert painted. It fer sure isn't a factory color. YUP just the horizontal upper surfaces were painted. I'm hoping to get a couple years out of this paint, and get a Coyote 5.0 drive train installed, by then I should be ready to have a complete repaint done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmm, Almost like Ghost graphics. With this evening's light it's hard to tell the two-tone at all. Paint edge is right at crown of fender-line, front to rear.

The chrome scoop inserts are not going to be re-installed, new painted ones are ready to go in. Excuse fer another picture.

Those fender bump-strips have got to GO!!

2887cwo.jpg

Hey, that's neat! Are you going to pinstripe the paint edge at the beltline?
I can't settle on a pinstripe. The clear on the old paint(everything but the new two-tone) flakes off when tape is pulled, so the accent stripe, like Mach hood graphic, along the two-tone didn't go on. And Painter isn't confident we can do a Mach side stripe like Totalled has

Tubo,

Looks good! I like the Ghost look with the ram air hood!

mustang7173
Thanks, It's almost an accident. Exactly what I wanted, though I thought it was too dark at first, When the mixer first showed it to me, I was like Whoa there Stop now!! The color dried lighter rather than dark. Fer a "band-aid" I think it's turned out well. Indirect sunlight the two-tone is more charcoal.

Car is into the new garage, before it's even ready.

InGarr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a Little Tikes Cozy Coupe beside the vert in the garage? Lol

My 13 year old is fascinated by very small cars. Says he wants to buy a Peel to drive around the house.

Is that a Little Tikes Cozy Coupe beside the vert in the garage? Lol
rofl

Good one Don.

I find it interesting the value of those micro cars has started to go through the roof at auction lately. Alot of the kids like them as well, I am am not talking about young kids some of the teeneagers are starting to get to like them. Wished I would have kept an old Metropolitan I had 15 years ago. It was really cheap and I drove it about two months and sold it for a little more. A guy in SE Wisconsin where I grew up had an AMC 360 in one that he drag raced back in the 80's. That thing was a hoot.

Back