Paint Stripping Q

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve have you concidered soda blasting. I had that done on my daughters '77 mustang and it came out real good. Using that media I didn"t

take out the side windowsand not a scratch on them.

Jim
Start a thread and show us your daughters 77 Mustang!

Steve have you concidered soda blasting. I had that done on my daughters '77 mustang and it came out real good. Using that media I didn"t

take out the side windowsand not a scratch on them.

Jim
Hey Jim, yeah I got a quote for soda blast but it was ~$2300 ::shrug::. I don't have that kind of cash! But the body is in really good shape with minor rust...

I havent been on for awhile, work has taken my time. My stang just sits out there missing me. But I just read the posts on your thread and am Loving it. Everything the guys have told you are all perfect in my humble opinion. There are many options, depending on your skill level and of course your WALLET. Again to go back to my perfered method, I have worked the exterior of every panel by hand without blasting, but when i get into the final prep and cleanup I will use my cheap little blaster to get into the tight areas, and probably a lite blast on the undercarrige, just to get rid of the trash. but i'm not looking to use my finish color on the underneath, just clean it up and probably por 15 or rust bullet on the undercarrige. I plan on driving this thing and not just polishing it. NO TRAILER QUEENS IN MY SHOP.. As crocidile dunnde said, GET INTO IT MATE. Good luck....
I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm not worried about time, that's the only thing that I have plenty of. When I have all the panels and body worked I'll get the crevices blasted (there's a shop near me that does good work and the price is right). I'll do the body work at the same time, one panel at a time. That way I can break it up and it will be easier on the wallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Steve!! You are on then!! What Pappy told you to do is what i did on my 72... if you look at my process, you´ll see that my car was not blasted till the metal... I decided it wasn´t needed and so far, i´m happy with that choice... I also did my car all by myself spending never more than a couple of hours in the car a day and well... i bought this car in december 2009 and a year and a half later, it is as you know it right now... Not bad timming either and as i did everything myself the work was cheap enough for me to afford it and now being able to enjoy driving the car and knowing IT IS TOTALLY MINE!... I dont owe anything to anybody :)

If you want, you can start a thread with pictures and that stuff about each piece of the body in order to have our opinion in every inch of the car... That can help you a lot and for sure, will make us feel part of your restoration :)

Last thing.... I´m positive on going to the bare metal in the engine bay and in the trunk area Steve... Actually, i did that in my 72 using paint remover (a pain in the behind!) but if you can get those areas sandblasted, fantastic... Could be fantastic if you were able to do the same on the hole bottom of the car... This way you´ll be able to start from the structure and up, knowing you important parts are all 100% perfect :)

I agree Damian, I want to know this car 100% inside and out. The engine bay and trunk are mostly good (my dad did the resto in those areas), there is a small area in the trunk that will need to be patched. After I'm done with the body I'm going to scrape/blast the bottom then rust bullet the entire thing. When I start the work I'll post something up for everyone that wants to follow the adventure :)

I agree Damian, I want to know this car 100% inside and out. The engine bay and trunk are mostly good (my dad did the resto in those areas), there is a small area in the trunk that will need to be patched. After I'm done with the body I'm going to scrape/blast the bottom then rust bullet the entire thing. When I start the work I'll post something up for everyone that wants to follow the adventure :)
Fantastic Steve! Count me in in every adventure man! ;)

I can asure you´re gonna have a lot of fun in this process and you´ll end up loving your car a lot more than if you just pay for everything to get show quality done :)

X2 on what damian just said. There is nothing better than when its done saying to yourself, I DID IT ALL... Might take awhile, but the price is right and the satisfaction is unbelievable. I dont have all the answers but am willing to help if there is anyway I can.

Latest posts

Back