Picked up the new radio. [UPDATE] INSTALLED

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumit

Reaction score
My Car
1973 351c coupe
Well I went out and picked up the sears dash mate I mentioned before. I can't believe I got it for this price, the guy was selling it for his neighbor. Her husband bought it in 1978 along with this speaker and never installed it. He passed away recently and I guess she cleaning out a bunch of old stuff.

Anyway it all looks amazing its mostly all still wrapped up I'll be able to use the stock bezel without trimming and use the mustang knobs. Its four channel but has a mono option. Also an optional faceplate with wood accents to match the knobs it comes with. He even gave me a bunch of 8 tracks. Its all so nice my dad suggested I try to resell it for more.

It will be nice to go to the drive in this year without bringing a portable radio! I'll update when I get it installed, wish me luck! Here's some pics. I also found an ad that shows the dashmate line, looks like there's a receipt too.

--------Update---------------

Well guys I got it all installed. It was a breeze and sounds so much better than the stock AM Radio. There's a video I took (probably a bit to long) that shows it off a bit. The 8-track works great but when you first pop in a tape it sounds a bit distorted. Also there's some pics with alternate knobs and a pic with Gordon Lightfoot in for all you GL lovers lol.

Easily the best 30 bucks I ever spent!

[video=youtube]

IMG_20130518_181758.jpg

IMG_20130518_181720.jpg

IMG_20130518_181811.jpg

IMG_20130518_181748.jpg

IMG_20130518_181942.jpg

Screenshot_2013-05-13-21-01-48.png

IMG_20130519_152638.jpg

IMG_20130519_152744.jpg

IMG_20130519_152752.jpg

IMG_20130519_152858.jpg

IMG_20130519_153311.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice forget the mustang nobs, go wood accent on everything ;)

Thanks guys! ya I hope the 8tracks work well. I'll be cranking some forever in blue jeans and star wars soundtrack this summer. You guys really like the wood grain that much? Lol

if you have the deluxe interior with the wood grain panels on the doors and the center dash panel with wood grain, how could you go wrong :D

Nope have the standard interior. I agree if I had the deluxe I'd have too. Although I think the standard Steering wheel has a small bit wood grain hmmmmm.

That radio is awesome on so many different levels. Wow. Excellent find and great work.

And an extra bonus in the Gordon Lightfoot cassettes, one of my favorite artists!
I'm only 23 so I'm not very familiar with Gordon Lightfoot lol. Starwars, Willie Nelson and Neil Diamond are the only ones I really know. I found a site called http://www.8-track-shack.com they stock a lot o tapes. I'll probably get some Ac/DC and kiss. Just want to make sure it all works first.

Installed!

Just added better pics and video to the first post.

IMG_20130519_151921.jpg

Funny looking at the size of the radio compared with today's.

Gordon has moved from the era of cassettes to CD to ipod with me......tried to get tickets to see him in Niagara Falls 2 weeks ago sold out right away.

That is SO cool! ::thumb::

Love the selection of tapes, too. I think I had the Star Wars Odyssey tape way back in the day.

Nice score, looks great and you certainly can't beat the price!

Concerning the tape dragging when first inserted, the "most likely" cause is dust or oil on your rollers resulting in the tape slipping until it gets going. Clean what ever you can with alcohol insuring what ever you use isn't dripping wet, just damp. To get all portions of the rollers you insert a tape, let it play a second, eject it, clean do it again, that rotates them eventually exposing all portions for cleaning. Don't oil or lube anything inside your 8 Track, that's for the proffessionals.

Most dirt/oil/dust comes from inserting old tapes, make sure they're "clean" and the pressure pad on them are in good shape and not dirty. If the tape is in bad shape or dirty, don't let it near your 8 Track.

A good source I've found for tapes is from the guy below. They arrive in good clean shape guaranteed to play, most with new pressure pads.

http://www.8-track-shack.com/8-track-tapes-c-225_226.html?page=10&sort=0d

Jim

Back