Power Steering Deep Dive

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet. I thought that maybe this would work it’s way out while driving. I’m sure I got air in it last year when I had to replace the S tube.

So many ways to bleed.
1) disconnect return hose from reservoir, slowly crank engine with a full reservoir until bubble free fluid is coming out
2) jack the car and go stop to stop 20 cylcles, then start the car and cycle a few more times
3) jack the car as in #2 above, bot only go to 20 degrees on each turn cycle.
4) use the method in the earlier post and crank the engine while turning the unloaded wheels
5) vacuum bleed

Mine seems to be getting noisier and less consistent with power assist. Not sure what I will try next.
Kcmash

If it were in your situation, I think I'd spring for another pump and try it. However, you will have to change the pulley and for that, you'll need the special puller/installer tool. Talking about pulleys, do you have the correct one for you car? You don't have AC, so I think you need the same as mine, which is 6 1/4" diameter. Number? (to be looked up)
This must be very frustrating indeed and frankly, I don't understand why this is happening. I've never had anything like it happen when I've switched pumps or PS boxes.

Actually mine is an AC car and I have the original pulley. Yep, after I figure out the latest problems with the engine.

Kcmash

Well, after all kinds of shows and cruises, probably a 100 miles on the car, I took her to a Snake Saturday parade this last weekend. aside from the pump noise, no problems at all. Then near the end of the parade route, a thump, and my power steering is gone. What do you know, this newer hose failed in the exact same way as the last hose. The rubber hose slides right out of the crimp.

I will call NPD again tomorrow. I don't believe the poor quality of these hoses.
1710728924230.jpeg
kcmash

Well, after all kinds of shows and cruises, probably a 100 miles on the car, I took her to a Snake Saturday parade this last weekend. aside from the pump noise, no problems at all. Then near the end of the parade route, a thump, and my power steering is gone. What do you know, this newer hose failed in the exact same way as the last hose. The rubber hose slides right out of the crimp.

I will call NPD again tomorrow. I don't believe the poor quality of these hoses.
View attachment 86709
kcmash

I think I got mine from rockauto

Mine is routed lower and goes behind the engine to hide it.

Attachments

• IMG_1603.jpeg
    IMG_1603.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1

View attachment 86709
kcmash
Oh boy, that looks all too familiar!! That is exactly what happened to me and I'm sure you saw my lament on the subject.
I decided NOT to go back to the so-called concours hose and bought the Edleman replacement as it is radially crimped. Mine of course is the long hose, but I'm sure they'll have the short one as well.
EDIT: To clean up the mess, I used Dawn Power Spray. Amazing stuff. Better than any engine cleaner.

Attachments

• IMG_2257.JPG
    IMG_2257.JPG
    497.1 KB · Views: 1
Back