Power steering

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may be possible to replace the seats with the box in the car but it would be a little tight.Like You said you could try cleaning up/dressing the seats and line flare surfaces with very fine sand paper. Reassemble and see what happens. I would not try adding extra seals. The double flare and seat is designed to seal as is (like brake line flares)

Ron

It may be possible to replace the seats with the box in the car but it would be a little tight.Like You said you could try cleaning up/dressing the seats and line flare surfaces with very fine sand paper. Reassemble and see what happens. I would not try adding extra seals.  The double flare and seat is designed to seal as is (like brake line flares)

Ron
Ok.  I’ll dress it and reinstall.  If that doesn’t work, I’ll try the seat change option.  I don’t like thee idea of removing the box, but I do want to do it correctly.  I’ll have to look for instructions or a video on changing the seat.  Thanks for your input.

Steering leak update! The leak has stopped! Although I tightened the fitting as much as I could, the leak persisted, and not knowing what I should do, short of removing the steering Box and replacing the seat, a friend of mine told me that being a high pressure hose, the fitting had to be very tight. I told him it was tight. He came over, and using a crow foot 11/16 wrench from underneath, he got almost a half turn more than I had managed to get from the top side. Wala! NO MORE LEAK. Note: if you disconnect the power steering hoses for this, or another reason, after you re-connect, raise the front wheels, and turn the wheels all the way in both directions a couple of times to get the air out, then fill the reservoir to the full mark.

Steering leak update!  The leak has stopped!  Although I tightened the fitting as much as I could, the leak persisted, and not knowing what I should do, short of removing the steering Box and replacing the seat, a friend of mine told me that being a high pressure hose, the fitting had to be very tight.  I told him it was tight.  He came over, and using a crow foot 11/16 wrench from underneath, he got almost a half turn more than I had managed to get from the top side.  Wala! NO MORE LEAK.  Note:  if you disconnect the power steering hoses for this, or another reason, after you re-connect, raise the front wheels, and turn the wheels all the way in both directions a couple of times to get the air out, then fill the reservoir to the full mark.
 Right on!! Crow feet (or is that crow foots) to the rescue!

I have to pull the temporary PS box out soon when it warms up, after getting the rotational valve repaired/replaced in my SPA-T VR box, so I'll try the under-the-car method to tighten the fittings.

Geoff.

I had to replace my ps gearbox last summer and it was easier than changing the input shaft seal that was leaking. I tried to replace the seal with box in car, should have just removed it to start with.

I had an even harder time with getting it replaced. I finally found a guy that rebuilds them and he had one already done, so I exchanged it with him. I couldn't rebuild mine cause the input shaft was so worn out and I didn't know where to find one.

Back