PS Steering Pump Whines After Hi-ratio Upgrade

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After refunding for the rebuild, Marty sent me a return authorization for the pump so he can analyze the issue. He suspects a bearing, and wants to figure this out as much as we do.

For the record, I replaced the pressure hose when I put the “New” reproduction (made in China) pump on. There is an ever-so-quiet whisper of a whine under a load, but I find that to be normal for most automobiles, and nothing like the deafening complaint the old Pump made even at idle.

JB

PS: New pony in the stable:

DA779962-364B-4745-9E42-73400A99AE8C.jpeg

Just a note of similar flushing of system you need to do. If you have your automatic transmission rebuilt for sure you need to flush the cooling lines and cooler either in the radiator or stand alone. I have a friend that had a Hummer, transmission went out when he was in Florida and he had some shop there take out and rebuild. GM actually suggest you replace the radiator not just flush it. They didn't and it lasted 90 miles so another roll back bill and built again. He took straight to car lot and traded for a Dodge, lol.

I had a bad experience with Lee Steering rebuilding my steering pump. The rebuilt was okay but the pump housing was distorted and it leaked. Then they went out of business so couldn't return it. Eventually i had to buy a rebuilt pump just to use the housing. I wanted to keep the rebuilt pump by Lee since he had upgraded the preasure or whatever he did. That said, I think they do a good job rebuilding but not necessarily check the components they reused. Since then i replaced the pump with a Saginaw so if anyone is interested on the Ford rebuilt pump i have it available.

Plus one on flushing transmissions, a.c., power steering, block, and anything else that has fluids and a part breaks or wears out. On automatic transmissions don't even try to flush the converter, not possible to get metal shavings and gunk out of the impellers, etc. Converters must be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:  Marty, at power steering.com, refunded the cost of my rebuild, and sent me a return label for the unit. He analyzed the issue and found the bearings were fine, he DID find the staked control valve cap to be loose. He restaked the cap, refinished the exterior, tested the unit and sent it back to me.

FWIW, I did not have the heart to cash his refund check. He stood behind his work, and that’s all we can ask. Here are the pics.

1 last symptom observation: The old pressure hose felt like it was buzzing (and I mean a high-energy, high frequency buzz) when the car was running. If this is your symptom, maybe it’s the control valve cap. 

7266D410-0FB5-48B8-A8F6-BAD0C98F90A0.png

AB7D8273-7A24-4E45-8318-85D093312529.png

That's great news, glad it was sorted out and Marty stood behind his work. I agree, I wouldn't cash the check either. Hopefully all will be good in the world from now on.

Tell Marty that you're not cashing the refund check.  I have customers from 8 months ago that still haven't cashed a small check and it drives me crazy trying to balance the checking account.

Latest posts

Back