Question about 351C distributor drive gear size and other motor it was used on.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
I was just at a swap meet and picked up a rather cruddy looking Autolite distributor. The guy swore it was for a 302, but I know better as the drive gear is larger. Anyway for 5 bucks, I wasn't leaving it there. I can't quite read all the stampings, but it is D0XX and the typical C8 casting number I now have it soaking in penetrating oil to try and get the vac can screws out as well as the base plate. Hopefully they'll come out in a day or so. I'm just looking for hopefully usable parts, like a 10L slot plate!!
However, what is throwing me is the vac canister is a single diaphragm and rather different looking than the ones we typically see. It actually works too!
We know that the 351C and the 429 shared the same distributor, BUT, was this version used on any other motors (not vehicles)? The gear diam. is 1.421", identical to a spare and new Cardone Select 351C dist. I have, albeit a taller version.

I think I've ID'd this distributor.
The stampings are rough, like double stamped, but the only match I can find is this:
D00F 12127 U which is a 1971 Ford or Mercury 400 2V R.F. automatic. That explains the different vac canister I guess. No numbers on that, it's pretty rusted but actually still works and holds vacuum.
Anyway, the slot setting was a L13 WITH a nylon sleeve. I was hoping for a L10 but not this time. The casting is in good condition but will need a good cleaning.
Basically I have a few more parts if and when.

Attachments

• IMG_2051.JPG
    IMG_2051.JPG
    857.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2050.JPG
    IMG_2050.JPG
    795.1 KB · Views: 0
The 351C, 351M-400, 429-460 are physically interchangeable. The drive gear ID had two different sizes, I believe they are .500” and .530”, outside dimensions are the same.

The 351C, 351M-400, 429-460 are physically interchangeable. The drive gear ID had two different sizes, I believe they are .500” and .530”, outside dimensions are the same.
Thanks, yes I know the group, but was wondering if there were other motors also using this distributor. Thanks for the drive gear ID dimensions, I'll check that. Like I said, this particular dist. was a gift at 5 bucks, whatever it was intended for. The cap on it looks almost new, no burning, cracks or anything, so that alone is worth the money for a spare.

Single or dual diaphragm vacuum advance depended on the emissions tune.

MPC also shows the below applications for D0OF-U distributor

70 351C-2V Mustang and Torino (and Merc twins) w/IMCO and A/T

71 351C-2V in Torino/Montego with A/T, non-CA.

Single or dual diaphragm vacuum advance depended on the emissions tune.

MPC also shows the below applications for D0OF-U distributor

70 351C-2V Mustang and Torino (and Merc twins) w/IMCO and A/T

71 351C-2V in Torino/Montego with A/T, non-CA.
Thanks Hemikiller. I misread the listing I found and you are correct, 71 Torino, Montego, not Ford, Mercury. That was the line above Duh!
Also as stated, the stampings are blurry and look to be double stamped, but this is the best guess. It really doesn't matter, I have more extra parts now that likely will never be used anyway. I was just curious what this distributor might have been on.

Back