radiator & shroud

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaster

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback
Hello all,

Looking for a solution to my radiator/ shroud dilemma.

The car is a 1971 FB running a C4V engine (not originally a 351)

and automatic transmission.

the radiator is D1VE-AB and the Shroud is D1AE-BA.

the radiator is a 3 core unit and measures 19x26.5 between the cores.

I believe the radiator is for a 429 and the shroud is for a 351.

when I got this car the radiator mounts were jerry-rigged somehow

and the shroud did somehow fit, now with the radiator in it's proper position, the shroud no longer fits correctly, fan blades hit on the drivers side.

The shroud is a POS and willing to replace, the big 3 core radiator , I would like to keep.

Can someone tell me exactly what I have here and what I would have to do to make it all good.

Boilermaster

and

Another thing our 71-73's have over the 65-70 Mustangs. Besides the integral steering boxes, are these great cross flow radiators.

Your D1VE-AB is a radiator used for the 429 Mustangs and Torino's. Width 26", height 17 7/8" was the same as a 351C. Difference was core thickness 1 1/2" for 351C and 2 1/4" for your 429 unit. Don't blame you for wanting to keep that one, as it is a nice radiator. That radiator was also used for the 71 and 72 351 CJ so all is not lost.

Your D1AE-BA shroud is for a 71-72 LTD with a 400 engine.The fan, shroud, radiator alignment would be different between a full frame car vs a unibody car such as the Mustang. That's probably why they had some shade tree "engineering" on your radiator mounting and once you put it back in it's proper location, the problem reappeared. You need to look for a 351C shroud (ID# D1ZE-AA, D3ZE-AA or AB- Part number D3ZZ-8146-A which replaced the D1ZZ-8146-A shroud) I would check with our on site member and vender Don (Ohio Mustang Supply)

Good luck with your project!!

https://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=797

Back