Ram Air & Marti Reports

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 CJ 4 speed HIGHLY Optioned
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Trying to "Figure Something Out"...Please correct me , if I'm Wrong...1973 Mach 1 CJ did NOT come from the factory with "Ram Air", BUT!!!...was told the Dealer could/would install the Ram Air as a "Dealer Option"...Sooooo...if Ram Air on 1973 Mach 1 CJ was ONLY a Dealership option/add-on & NOT factory option, then NO Marti Report would/could show Ram Air as a Factory option on a 1973 Mach 1 CJ....DOES ANYONE have a Dealership Window sticker showing Ram Air on a "CJ"??!!

So to sum up, it would seem...extremely difficult/impossible to "PROVE" that Ram Air was a Dealership installed option!!!....am I "Close" to making sense of this "Ram Air" puzzle???!!!....I NEED a Drink!!!....Mark

Without more "proof" like a receipt I'd say you cannot prove it. Back then a dealer may have done whatever you wanted if you paid them. Now they charge you for crap you do not want. :huh:

Dealerships will do almost anything as long as you are willing to pay their price. This has always been the case.

"Dealer installed" has little to no value when talking originality of a car.

(Always exceptions like Twister Specials or special builds by Bob Tasca Ford.)

But all it indicates is that the dealer or buyer requested something be changed on the car after it arrived at the dealership (or after dealership took possession). Usually it also is only for things that the dealer could readily supply.

Either from Ford across the parts counter or through a local vendor (like a trim/upholstery or electronics shop).

The first is more preferred to me if it must be done...

You could have a new Boss 351 that the new owner liked the look of the vinyl top, and "tuck and rolled" upholstery.

Once the buyer agreed on the price for the car including requested changes, dealerships would require a hefty and usually non-refundable deposit for such changes before any changes were completed.

And if documentation was kept indicating these changes - then you have a unique Boss 351 and proof that it was all completed at the buyers request before the buyer took possession of the car.

Again - my drawn out point is >>> Dealers will do anything to a car as long as someone is willing to pay for it.

Ray

This is one of those things that falls into line with my earlier comments regarding things found on our cars, and whether they were options or not.

My '71 H-code Mach 1 came with Ram-Air and a dual exhaust cut-out valance, among other 'odd' things. Common train of thought (based on information provided) is that certain options 'are not available' on certain cars - period... end of discussion.

Not to pick an old scab, but I still beg to differ - especially, since there were 'dealer installed' options, such as Ram Air (stripes, spoilers, etc.), that I suspect would not show up in a Marti Report.

So, to answer your, ummm, question: I would be willing to bet that our cars came with some things that might not be covered in the Marti Report if they were installed as dealer options.

For the most part - if it is not on a marti report or window sticker it didn't happen at Ford

If it was dealer installed and you have paperwork to prove it, I still do not think it adds to the car. If it was changed at the dealer or 20 years later - it was still changed.

Don

This is one of those things that falls into line with my earlier comments regarding things found on our cars, and whether they were options or not.

My '71 H-code Mach 1 came with Ram-Air and a dual exhaust cut-out valance, among other 'odd' things. Common train of thought (based on information provided) is that certain options 'are not available' on certain cars - period... end of discussion.

Not to pick an old scab, but I still beg to differ - especially, since there were 'dealer installed' options, such as Ram Air (stripes, spoilers, etc.), that I suspect would not show up in a Marti Report.

So, to answer your, ummm, question: I would be willing to bet that our cars came with some things that might not be covered in the Marti Report if they were installed as dealer options.
Eric makes a very valid point and that is why I always try to encourage the use of "per Marti Report" or "from the factory" when referring to what is or was available on a particular vehicle.

BT

Good Post.

"Dealer installed" is a term that people have unfortunately used way too much to describe anyting that has been changed, most of the time with zero documentation. And usually these things were not changed by the dealer. If anyone wanted to change something on their new car, they just took the car home and later went back to the Ford parts counter ordered and/or purchased what they wanted to change. Then they did it themselves. Another way to get parts was through their network of Mustang friends, they'd put the word out as to what they wanted. It was a pretty decent way to supply parts. Way before internet sites like E-bay and Google. Ford swap meets were another great place to locate and sell cool stuff for the cars. I think this site has become the "network" helping many and I look forward for it to continue to do so. THANKS EVERYONE!!!

OK back to my soap box - hey move over! Need a bigger box! rofl

I used to think as long as it (changed part installed) was available from Ford it would be acceptable - a friend mentioned a "what if" >>>>>

Ford/Rotunda air horns mounted on the fender???? - ugh no. I'm sure there are tons of examples here! Anyway-

If the items were available as production options -- much better. Still not an original car but a lot better than the air horns!

So mods can be cool as long as they are disclosed and understood. But when things are changed and then described as a "restored to 100% original" or similar - that is what causes ... :mad:

I get sick of hearing a non stock configuratin as, "My sister's boyfriend bought it new and they said it came factory with ... " - or something like that. And this is usally describing a GMC 6-71 supercharger or something blatantly incorrect.

Very few cars are completed and rebuilt to the level of "original". That is why those cars continue to command the premium prices.

And from my observations, even the finest examples of "tribute" or "clone" cars are valued about 40-50% of the vehicle they are attempting to emulate. Look close and on these cars you will see many incorrect configurations.

My rant :p I feel the (soap) box collapsing!!!! :D

Ray

For the record most Roush 427 R have the mufflers shipped in the trunk and have to be added after the customer receives the car from the dealer. They are original to the Roush package but must be put on after the sale to get past EPA. Granted we are talking about a post production upgrade but down the road when the 05-14 Stang is the age of our cars then this might be an ancient record of something LOL

Back