Re-upholstery project on my 71 convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soooooooooo, does      "I believe it is genuine imitation Comfort Weave" mean that it is really, really fake?         ;-
Not at all.  It looks really good. I guess my sarcasm was running away.  Not sure that i am knowledgeable enough to discern the difference.  The tag says made in Mexico.  Does that tell you anything?

Wayne

That is all that has been available since the factory burnt down that made the comfort weave. That is except some small amounts that SMS upholstery came up with. They actually ran out during production and some of the Mach 1 sports interiors had solid vinyl inserts instead of the comfort weave. 

It for sure is going to look great with all new.

Thanks for all the kind comments.  It has been an enjoyable venture so far.

I am starting the back now and could use some input.

Can i reuse the seat buttons or do i need to buy new ones??  They appear to be riveted through a plate on the back side.

Below are pics of front and back.

Usually the pins break off when you try and remove them

On the few I managed to save the pins, there isn't enough left to peen it over to re-install

Since Drake came out with them, it's easier to just replace them

Usually the pins break off when you try and remove them

On the few I managed to save the pins, there isn't enough left to peen it over to re-install

Since Drake came out with them, it's easier to just replace them

ok, thanks, i was afraid of that. the new ones are a bit pricey because it takes four sets at ~$15.00 per set, so i might try a couple things before i order new ones. The ones i have are not any good as is so no lose if i ruin them.

Wayne

Well, i got back in the saddle for a couple more days.

I ordered new seat buttons and put them in the rear seat back and recovered it. it was sure tougher than the seat itself.

i have a few wrinkles on the edges. it seemed as though the cover was extremely tight up and down but it was too long side to side. Anyway, good enough for me.

I hope that they won't show so bad after it is installed.

Got the front seats out and found wire below the seat that was disconnected. Wire went to this cylindrical thing in the back of the bucket seat.

Is this something to do with the seat belt buzzer??  It has a small connecting rod that goes to the latch that locks back upright position. 

Maybe you can see it in the pic.

That is the solenoid for the optional automatic seat release system

The seat belt buzzer sensor is a long strip under the passenger seat, clips in the springs

The seat belt buzzer sensor is a long strip under the passenger seat, clips in the springs
No sensor in the seat on mine. Just the wire going to the seat back to the solenoid.

Interesting. I was unaware of that option.

Did the seat back automatically go forward when you get out of the car?

No sensor in the seat on mine. Just the wire going to the seat back to the solenoid.

Interesting. I was unaware of that option.

Did the seat back automatically go forward when you get out of the car?
71 did not have the seat belt sensor system, that didn't start until 1972.  

The seat back solenoids unlatched the seat back when the door was opened, nothing more.

Recovered the front seats today. Was happy with the results. Probably will tackle the backs tomorrow. Hope they turn out as well as seats.

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really nice! Can you take some photo’s of the back of the new reproduction seat buttons as well. Are they easy to install? I still have to re upholster my seats as well. Did you re-use the original foam for the front seats?

On the seat back release. That is part of the Convenience Group package. You got under dash lights, one on each side, a center map light above the center of the dash and the seat back releases. There was an option to delete the seat back releases from the package also. For some reason every one of the cars I have, 8, had that option. 

My car ended up with a Cougar wire harness in the long console which also had a light in the ash tray that was not on Mustang. They were using up parts when my car was built I guess.

Looks really nice! Can you take some photo’s of the back of the new reproduction seat buttons as well. Are they easy to install? I still have to re upholster my seats as well.  Did you re-use the original foam for the front seats?
The new buttons are very easy.

i recovered one bucket seat back today. The back is a little tougher than the seat. The bottom flap does not have the built in hole for the latch like original and the bottom wraps around the frame different than original cover. As you can see in the pic, there is foam showing at bottom corners. I do not see any way around that. Don't believe it will show once everything is together. 

Looking great I think you have inspired others to jump on theirs also. Those slight wrinkles will probably go away once you get it out in the summer sun some or use a hair dryer on them a little. 

They should have given you a small piece of vinyl to put over the open area on the corners. Like you say will be out of site in the end.

It's been a busy couple weeks.

I got her into the body shop (a good friend of mine) and gutted out the interior except the dash.

rebuilt the automatic shifter because it was loose,new hoses for hydraulic top, one cylinder ended up with bad threads so new cylinder, then the pump started leaking through the gasket around the center so new pump.

Cleaned up floor pans coated and put in sound deadening. 

New carpet. installed the freshly covered seats. Cleaned and lubed the seat adjuster. 

Installed refinished console. Sent clock off to get it fixed. It should be back in a couple days.

Very happy with the results so far.

Thought i'd post a couple more shots after i got her out of the body shop yesterday.

I am anxious for warm weather in Kansas now.

Wayne

Looks really nice! Can you take some photo’s of the back of the new reproduction seat buttons as well. Are they easy to install? I still have to re upholster my seats as well.  Did you re-use the original foam for the front seats?
The new buttons are very easy.

Thanks for the photo!

The interior looks great!

Back