Rear Axle Housing Dimensions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Does anyone have the width and side length of our rear axle housings?

From what I understand the total width is 61.25 from axle flange to axle flange, which ends up being 56.25 for the housing. However, does anyone know the length from the center of the pinion to each side's flange? I need these dimensions to order new axles. I am ordering a Truetrac differential as well. Apparently, the dimensions of the Truetrac are different than the open differential, which changes the each axle's length.

If I can engage the way back time machine I can see what I ordered up from Strange 11 years ago… I too have a true trac and fancy axles. I'll see if I can dig it up, but don't hold your breath.

If I can engage the way back time machine I can see what I ordered up from Strange 11 years ago… I too have a true trac and fancy axles. I'll see if I can dig it up, but don't hold your breath.
Thanks. I am ordering from Strange as well.I will go to the garage and try to measure with some bob weights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If I can engage the way back time machine I can see what I ordered up from Strange 11 years ago… I too have a true trac and fancy axles.  I'll see if I can dig it up, but don't hold your breath.
Thanks. I am ordering from Strange as well.

I will go to the garage and try to measure with some bob weights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
No dice.  I dug around in the folder of receipts and couldn't find anything.  Only thing I figured out was that I purchased Moser axles, not Strange.  As for dimensions they are long lost.

These are my measurements with a bob weight and ruler (pinion center to outside of axle flange):

Total L = 55 19/32 (55.59375")

Left side = 28 1/16 (28.0625")

Right side = 27 17/32 (27.53125")

Note: the measurements in Don's link are rounded lengths for the shafts, which are 31 3/4" and 27 13/16".

Back