Rear Bumper Fillers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach I Q code
61 Impala
67 Chevelle
78 Bradley GT II
Is there a urethane filler that goes between the rear bumper(at the corners) and bolts to the body on a 72?

I have a set for a 73, but they don't look correct.

A picture would be great too.

Heres where they go on the 73's:

DSCF8174.jpg

DSCF8172.jpg

How are they in appearance? good shape?

Mine are a bit mangled on my '73.

Send me pics if you can, I need them.

Gonna put these on evil bay...unless a member with a 73 needs them.

Thanks for the photos... I guess I never noticed the rear 73 bumper looks like it sticks out a little further than the 71-72's. Mine right now has some nice bubbled rust under the paint at that location!
Your welcome! The 73's have a filler panel between the rear bumper and the body too. The 73's are the longest of all the Mustangs, 65 to present, because of this and the front bumper!

You can see the filler piece in this picture:

DSCF8193.jpg

Thanks from me as well on the photos Mike. I'm putting the back end trim back on my car right now. As I've mentioned before this car came to me stripped for paint so when I put it back together to certify I didn't put the bumper filler or urethane extensions on and the bumper fit fine. However, with the fillers on, I'm having a hard time getting the bumper to fit. It almost looks like the brackets on the bumper are too shallow to contact the body with the fillers in place.

I hate to ask, but is there any chance you could do me a favor and shoot a pic from under the bumper at the brackets so I can see the size of the brackets? Thanks to your previous pics I think I've got the fillers installed correctly but still can't get the bumper to attach without hitting the filler panel...

Thanks in advance if you are able to get the pic.

IMG_1504.JPGIMG_1503.JPGIMG_1506.JPG

I'll post the obvious maybe, but it seems to me the 73 with the fillers bumper sticks out farther than the 71-72's do. I'd try and verify the brackets you have are for 73 and not 71-72.
I agree badmach. You're right, I should have explained a bit more. That is what I'm looking to confirm with a pic of bumper brackets from underneath. I suspect, as you mentioned, that the bumper that came with the car is from a 71-72.

Regards,

Badmach and Droptop,

Thanks for the advice.

Mike: Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to post the pics. It helps figure out what they should look like.

I've already started tracking down some 73 brackets to swap on to this bumper. Another delay... Hopefully I get the car put back together soon so I can drive it with the new paint job before the snow comes!

Badmach and Droptop,

Thanks for the advice.

Mike: Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to post the pics. It helps figure out what they should look like.

I've already started tracking down some 73 brackets to swap on to this bumper. Another delay... Hopefully I get the car put back together soon so I can drive it with the new paint job before the snow comes!
Thats a bummer to be that close to finishing up and not have the right brackets!

Thats a bummer to be that close to finishing up and not have the right brackets!
I'll get there soon... I think I've tracked down a set of brackets a few hours away. Stalled on seatbelt hardware too so I can't put the interior back in yet. I need to post a new question about seat belt attachments. Hopefully you guys can help me there too.

Regards,

Dan

Back