rear frame rails

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hereandthere

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 4129SCJ
1970 Boss 302
1967 390 GT Convertible
2003 Audi Allroad Bi-Turbo
Hi,

I'm looking at a '71 donor car and the rear frame rails have an issue I've never seen before. The rails above the axle are deformed, or "crimped", just behind the rubber snubbers, as though they were crushed or something. Both sides are like that. the rest of the rails and body panels appear fine. Am I seeing things?

Hi,

I'm looking at a '71 donor car and the rear frame rails have an issue I've never seen before. The rails above the axle are deformed, or "crimped", just behind the rubber snubbers, as though they were crushed or something. Both sides are like that. the rest of the rails and body panels appear fine. Am I seeing things?
The car was hit in the rear or if they are very small it could be from the forming process but the only way to tell for sure is to measure from the center of the front leaf spring bolt to the center of the rear leaf spring bolt in the frame rail it should measure 51 & 7/8ths There's no deformation in my car..

100_2087.JPG

Hi,

The car was hit in the rear or if they are very small it could be from the forming process but the only way to tell for sure is to measure from the center of the front leaf spring bolt to the center of the rear leaf spring bolt in the frame rail it should measure 51 & 7/8ths There's no deformation in my car..
Sorry no pics, but none in mine either. Post a pic of what you're seeing so we have a better view of what's going on. BTW, it's a donor so how does it compare to yours? Are both of em "crimped"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are photos. Frame on the 429SCJ is just like everybody elses, no weird stuff. yes, both sides on the donor are like this.

From the info I got from the prevoius owner, the car was powered by a 460 and drag raced at some point, though there's no major mods. In fact, I searched hi and low for signs of structural damage, quarter replacement, etc. and did not detect anything. Deck fits great, doors are tight, looks pretty straight...

Of course my wife says "the guy probably mounted those things that stick out of the back, yeah, mounted wheelie bars to the frame, and when they hit the ground it pushed up the frame."

I guess I've seen stranger things and somebody could have rigged up some traction device that didn't quite work out as planned. And my wife is usally right...

right frame.JPG

left side.JPG

left frame.JPG

Here are photos. Frame on the 429SCJ is just like everybody elses, no weird stuff. yes, both sides on the donor are like this.

From the info I got from the prevoius owner, the car was powered by a 460 and drag raced at some point, though there's no major mods. In fact, I searched hi and low for signs of structural damage, quarter replacement, etc. and did not detect anything. Deck fits great, doors are tight, looks pretty straight...

Of course my wife says "the guy probably mounted those things that stick out of the back, yeah, mounted wheelie bars to the frame, and when they hit the ground it pushed up the frame."

I guess I've seen stranger things and somebody could have rigged up some traction device that didn't quite work out as planned. And my wife is usally right...
Looks like a jack stand or jacking damage Doesn't look like the car took a rear hit...If the car is a donor & your not using that specific part no big deal... pretty easy to fix that.

Thanks for the answers. Yes, I agree that it looks like jack stands or jack marks. Case Closed.

Looks like a jack stand or jacking damage Doesn't look like the car took a rear hit...If the car is a donor & your not using that specific part no big deal... pretty easy to fix that.
I honestly don't think these are jack stand damages. These structural frames are very solid and besides, who would put the jack stand in that location where it's rounded or curved? The stand would just slide and cause injury.

Looks more like it suffered a rearend collision and then a professional body man like Scott made it look nice again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I honestly don't think these are jack stand damages. These structural frames are very solid and besides, who would put the jack stand in that location where it's rounded or curved? The stand would just slide and cause injury.

Looks more like it suffered a rearend collision and then a professional body man like Scott made it look nice again :)
:goodone:

Thats not my work DJ ! If i fixed it you would never even know it was damaged:D..The rails aren't as strong as you think...Take a bottle jack under your car behind the leaf spring centered in the rail & jack it up ;) Bet the damage you cause looks just like his picture...

Back