Rear sway bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, I'm new to this Forum and this is my first post so sorry if I mess it up.  I can share my recent experience in upgrading the original 1/2" sway bar to the ADDCO 990 7/8".  First off, a year ago I ordered the wrong bar from ADDCO because I used the website and thought I could figure it out.  Wrong.  I ordered the smaller 3/4" sway bar and didn't know it was the "Non-Stock" replacement.  Had I talked to the ADDCO people at the beginning they would have steered me in the right direction.  So this past December when trying to install the wrong bar, I gave up and called them.

The Tech Support guy that answered was Ernie Jabour and he was fantastic.  He explained what I had vs what I should have had and he swapped them out for me.  Now I had to pay the shipping for the wrong one back, but I was thrilled to not have to eat the whole cost of my mistake.   I took until mid January before they could run the production of the 7/8" diameter bars, but I received the ADDCO 990 bar and accessories a week later.  

So my suggestion is, if you ever have any questions, call these guys.  Either Tech Support or Customer Service, they were both great for me.  The Customer Service guy I followed up with was John, not sure what his last name is.   ADDCO's number is 828-733-1560.

Now, once I got the new 990 rear bar I was concerned because the end links were much shorter than the originals.  But when I mounted the bar, if fit perfectly.  But the links seemed like they should be longer, so I called Ernie.  He immediately asked me if I had the full curb weight on the axle?  I had some, but not full.  When I jacked the axle up to put full weight on the length was perfect.  I'm going to try to show some pictures below that might explain it better to someone in the future that is a rookie like me.

This image is the ADDCO 990 next to the Original 1/2" factory sway bar.  I still have the original link on the right end.

Original vs 990 Sway Bar.jpg

This next Image is a close up of the length of the original end link versus the new end link provided with the 990.

Original vs 990 links.jpg

The next two pictures are the provided end links installed on my Mustang with FULL curb weigh.   I only have these loosely hand tightened in this picture but you can see how parallel they line up with with sway bar.   Prior to jacking the axle up, it looked like the end links needed to be an inch or so longer.  

Right Link.jpg

I hope this might be useful for someone in the future.  But the thing I would strongly recommend is to call the Addco people versus use the email or website if you have any questions.  They are soooo helpful and genuinely made a very positive impression on me.

Thanks for all of you that posted to this subject.  That Stang car picture was amazing!  Wow.

Bob

Left Link.jpg

Hi Guys, I'm new to this Forum and this is my first post so sorry if I mess it up.  I can share my recent experience in upgrading the original 1/2" sway bar to the ADDCO 990 7/8".  First off, a year ago I ordered the wrong bar from ADDCO because I used the website and thought I could figure it out.  Wrong.  I ordered the smaller 3/4" sway bar and didn't know it was the "Non-Stock" replacement.  Had I talked to the ADDCO people at the beginning they would have steered me in the right direction.  So this past December when trying to install the wrong bar, I gave up and called them.

The Tech Support guy that answered was Ernie Jabour and he was fantastic.  He explained what I had vs what I should have had and he swapped them out for me.  Now I had to pay the shipping for the wrong one back, but I was thrilled to not have to eat the whole cost of my mistake.   I took until mid January before they could run the production of the 7/8" diameter bars, but I received the ADDCO 990 bar and accessories a week later.  

So my suggestion is, if you ever have any questions, call these guys.  Either Tech Support or Customer Service, they were both great for me.  The Customer Service guy I followed up with was John, not sure what his last name is.   ADDCO's number is 828-733-1560.

Now, once I got the new 990 rear bar I was concerned because the end links were much shorter than the originals.  But when I mounted the bar, if fit perfectly.  But the links seemed like they should be longer, so I called Ernie.  He immediately asked me if I had the full curb weight on the axle?  I had some, but not full.  When I jacked the axle up to put full weight on the length was perfect.  I'm going to try to show some pictures below that might explain it better to someone in the future that is a rookie like me.

This image is the ADDCO 990 next to the Original 1/2" factory sway bar.  I still have the original link on the right end.

View attachment 49195

This next Image is a close up of the length of the original end link versus the new end link provided with the 990.

View attachment 49196

The next two pictures are the provided end links installed on my Mustang with FULL curb weigh.   I only have these loosely hand tightened in this picture but you can see how parallel they line up with with sway bar.   Prior to jacking the axle up, it looked like the end links needed to be an inch or so longer.  

View attachment 49197

I hope this might be useful for someone in the future.  But the thing I would strongly recommend is to call the Addco people versus use the email or website if you have any questions.  They are soooo helpful and genuinely made a very positive impression on me.

Thanks for all of you that posted to this subject.  That Stang car picture was amazing!  Wow.

Bob

View attachment 49198
So yes, this is the newly re designed bar that they made and is what I put on my car.

View attachment 49195

View attachment 49196

View attachment 49197

Bob

View attachment 49198
Very good post Moderator73. Well written and good pics. And no, you didn't mess it up

That been said, (and I could have missed it) would you please go to introductions and introduce yourself and add some pics of your ride. We love pics and learning something about our newest members. 

Welcome from Stanglover.

Not to hijack, but does anybody know if something’s up with Addco?  I think the website’s been down a few days...

I don't know about the website, but I had an email from them yesterday, so I know they're still around. 

EDIT: Yeah I just checked too. Looks like they are working on a site upgrade or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear it. Like the posters above, I found those guys good to work with. 

They were very helpful talking with me and I ultimately decided to go with the 996 bar (the one for our Mustangs that weren’t factory equipped with rear anti-sway bars).  I definitely dig the stock replacement, but was worried about fit with my explorer disc conversion as well as really wanting the 3/4” bar (not 7/8”) in the back, as I have only a 1” front bar.

i ordered a rear bar on March 27th and got this a day later:

Unfortunately I am writing to inform you that your part is currently on backorder.  It is scheduled to go into production and has an estimated ship date of 6/921.  

i ordered a rear bar on March 27th and got this a day later:

Unfortunately I am writing to inform you that your part is currently on backorder.  It is scheduled to go into production and has an estimated ship date of 6/921.  
I was told the one I ordered would be made in 5 to 10 days, but that was 2 weeks ago. I guess they're being affected by this Covid thing, like everybody else. I'll check on mine again and see what they say. 

Thanks.

Thanks jpaz for your hard work on this.  I'm plan on upgrading mine in the near future and will be going with Addco's.  Does anyone have  a good picture of the mounting brackets on the frame.  My 71 is a sportsroof and somewhere along the road the rear sway bar was added on by "WELDING" the mounts to the frame.  I want to redo this and make it correct and need any pictures of where the mounting brackets location should be.  Thanks for any pictures anyone has.

Thanks jpaz for your hard work on this.  I'm plan on upgrading mine in the near future and will be going with Addco's.  Does anyone have  a good picture of the mounting brackets on the frame.  My 71 is a sportsroof and somewhere along the road the rear sway bar was added on by "WELDING" the mounts to the frame.  I want to redo this and make it correct and need any pictures of where the mounting brackets location should be.  Thanks for any pictures anyone has.
Maybe this will help. It is the old bar, but the mount position is the same.

By the way, I'll add this info here instead of posting it twice. Re Jscott's post. Not sure who sent you that info unless they sold out already and that is a possibility, but I just got confirmation that all outstanding orders were shipped on 4/14. Mine should be on the way.

If this helps, I can get the measurements and take more pics once my new bar gets fitted soon I hope.

IMG_1530.JPG

Rear sway bar.JPG

Maybe this will help. It is the old bar, but the mount position is the same.

By the way, I'll add this info here instead of posting it twice. Re Jscott's post. Not sure who sent you that info unless they sold out already and that is a possibility, but I just got confirmation that all outstanding orders were shipped on 4/14. Mine should be on the way.

If this helps, I can get the measurements and take more pics once my new bar gets fitted soon I hope.

View attachment 50554

View attachment 50555
Thanks for the offer on taking some measurements Geoff.  It would be great if you could get me a few when you get your new sway bar in.  There are a couple of holes in the frame close to where they welded the brackets that I think are for the them but I want to make sure.

Thanks for the offer on taking some measurements Geoff.  It would be great if you could get me a few when you get your new sway bar in.  There are a couple of holes in the frame close to where they welded the brackets that I think are for the them but I want to make sure.
I just got an email from Addco and the tracking number for my rear bar, so it should be here soon as long as it doesn't get hung up at the border by Customs. Once I get it and we finally get rid of the damn snow and it warms up a bit, I'll be on it like a duck on a June bug. I'll for sure get the measurements and post here for you (and maybe others).

Ok, so today I installed the new rear Addco 990 anti-sway bar. I got it yesterday, but too late to do it. Besides, today was a lot warmer. Getting the old 990 bar out proved to be a bit harder than I thought. In 2019, I had new mufflers and tail pipes installed and the pipes were custom made. After a bit of struggling, I figured it out, drop the tailpipe and muffler on one side, then it came out easy. Putting the new bar back in was a reverse of getting the old one out. There is one thing I'll mention and that is the fuel vapor return. Before, I had to add a spacer under the clamp so it would clear the new bar, which is shaped differently to the factory original. See pic. I was far more diligent with this install and actually measured the side to side distance from the frame rail, which was 4" +/-16", see pic. On the spring plate connection bolts, I added a couple of extra washers, noting before that the nut was all the way on the thread resulting in lower pressure on the bushings. As far as measurements are concerned, I'll post those separately for kilgon's reference. I think it would be less confusing.

IMG_1778.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

Ok, so today I installed the new rear Addco 990 anti-sway bar. I got it yesterday, but too late to do it. Besides, today was a lot warmer. Getting the old 990 bar out proved to be a bit harder than I thought. In 2019, I had new mufflers and tail pipes installed and the pipes were custom made. After a bit of struggling, I figured it out, drop the tailpipe and muffler on one side, then it came out easy. Putting the new bar back in was a reverse of getting the old one out. There is one thing I'll mention and that is the fuel vapor return. Before, I had to add a spacer under the clamp so it would clear the new bar, which is shaped differently to the factory original. See pic. I was far more diligent with this install and actually measured the side to side distance from the frame rail, which was 4" +/-16", see pic. On the spring plate connection bolts, I added a couple of extra washers, noting before that the nut was all the way on the thread resulting in lower pressure on the bushings. As far as measurements are concerned, I'll post those separately for kilgon's reference. I think it would be less confusing.

View attachment 50739

View attachment 50743

View attachment 50741

View attachment 50742
It looks great Geoff! 

i got mine from NPD a few weeks ago.....now for the hard question.....has anyone ever converted a non rear sway bar car to factory rear sway bar? My vert has comp suspension but was a 351-2V originally.

Back