Rear sway bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks waaay better! Just as it should have been from the start. Of course, these were made as a "one-size-fits-all" thing and the wrong approach. I wonder how many of us will be reordering or better yet, exchanging our bars. 

Thanks John. I expect Addco will want feed back on how it actually fits and performs. Also, how is the clearance between the bar and the cross rail in front of the tank? The incorrect style I have, has only about 1/4", which is barely enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was kinda surprised that they didn’t say anything about letting them know how it fits. It clears the front of the gas tank, but it does push up against the vapor return line some. Pretty much like it was before, but not enough to restrict it.

I was kinda surprised that they didn’t say anything about letting them know how it fits. It clears the front of the gas tank, but it does push up against the vapor return line some. Pretty much like it was before, but not enough to restrict it.
 Ok, so the same as before for clearance then.  I had to add a spacer behind the clamp on the return vapor tube. It fits much better that way. I had a pic, but can't find it right now.

I purchased a 7/8" rear sway bar (ADDCO) several years ago.  After several attempts, I gave up trying to install it.  Several responses from the supplier thinking they may have sent the wrong item prove to be unsuccessful.  Now I understand why; it wasn't his fault.  I will try to get a new sway bar without end links to save on costs.  I assume the end links do fit.  Can you tell me what is the length of the spaces after you cut them.

Thanks,

Jimmy t

I purchased a 7/8" rear sway bar (ADDCO) several years ago.  After several attempts, I gave up trying to install it.  Several responses from the supplier thinking they may have sent the wrong item prove to be unsuccessful.  Now I understand why; it wasn't his fault.  I will try to get a new sway bar without end links to save on costs.  I assume the end links do fit.  Can you tell me what is the length of the spaces after you cut them.

Thanks,

Jimmy t
Why not try contacting ADDCO directly to see if they'll send you a new, correctly designed bar?

I have, but no response yet.  I read this info about a week ago here and sent an email on Friday.  Hoping for the best.  But if I have to just buy the sway bar, I can save a little bit of money.

Thanks,

Jimmy t

The new redesigned (thanks to jpaz) 7/8" bar should be available on Feb 14 th. according to the info I got from them during my communications with Addco. I do intend asking the question about replacing my incorrect bar under warranty. After all it was they that didn't get it right in the first place. I realize this could open a huge can-of-worms for them, but worth a try imo. Even if they offered to replace them at half price would be a good deal, but free would be even better.

I agree, but maybe way to much to ask for.  Even a discount would help though.  Maybe they could become a sponsor on this site and offer a discount to members!  Since jpaz is a member who discovered their mess-up.  We as members rely on these Mustang suppliers to know their stuff.  WE are the ones that support them; but also are the ones who use their products.  It would be nice to hear from them.  I sent them a email and I'll see their response.  CONGRATS to jpaz for sticking with it and getting it corrected.  Also, kudos to ADDCO for following through and getting it corrected!   The winners are future 71-73 mustangers that will get the right part.

Jimmy t

jpaz: 

I have couple of different end links.  I would really appreciate if you could me know the length of the bolts that you used along with the final cut lengths of the spacers.  I have sent an email to ADDCO asking to purchase just the 7/8" rear sway bar and used the end links that I have.  I have not heard from them yet.  Trying to save some costs since I doubt they will exchange my rear sway that I have even though it was never used.  You did a hell of job getting them to do with they did.  Apppreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks,

Jimmy t

The end links come with the new bar. I don’t think you can get just the bar only. They are the same as the ones that came with the original bar from addco. I think that the spacer is to long. Forgot my dimensions of what it was, but I think they could be a good inch shorter. I told them about this, but I don’t know if they changed anything. I doubt it though.
I still have those on my car and everything seems ok. 

Ok.  Thanks for your help.  If I can't exchange the sway bar, I was going to try and purchase just the bar to save a few bucks. and I know you said you had to cut the spacers.

If you get the opportunity at some point, and can measure them (the bolt and spacer) , I would appreciate that.  I am not in a hurry, since the bar won't be available to February.  Thanks again for all you help.  The photos and the write up on the sway bar were very helpful.  For years, I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong to try to install.

Thanks again,

Jimmy t

I didn’t cut anything. I used the links that came with the new bar, which are exactly the same as the ones that came with the original bar. I’m just saying that they could definitely be shorter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone confirmed whether Addco is selling the new bar yet?  I am eager to order one but their site still shows the old bar I think, unless I am looking at the wrong item...

I know it’s been said before but thanks very much, jpaz, for going through the headaches to get them to make these right!

I sent Addco an email last week asking if this https://www.addco.net/product/ford-mustang-1971-73-rear/ on their web site was the newly designed bar discussed here.  This is the answer I got:

Hey James,

The 990 rear bar was redesigned last year.

its the OE replacement bar but larger in diameter.

Thank you,
John  Wright

So, shall I assume that the bar in the above link is the new one discussed here?

I sent Addco an email last week asking if this https://www.addco.net/product/ford-mustang-1971-73-rear/ on their web site was the newly designed bar discussed here.  This is the answer I got:

Hey James,

The 990 rear bar was redesigned last year.

its the OE replacement bar but larger in diameter.

Thank you,
John  Wright

So, shall I assume that the bar in the above link is the new one discussed here?
I was waiting a bit past the Feb 14 date they gave me, to look further into changing mine.  With that information, I'll be talking to them soon.

Thanks

Back