Rear sway bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know my springs are crap and I do need to change them next year (hopefully), but I find my car handles really well with the 7/8" bar I have on it now. I would have no problem with that diameter if it fitted better at the frame mount points and lined up better with the shock mounts. Just my opinion, but as the current bar is possibly made to (sort of) fit a few different vehicles, I might still trust their engineering knowledge as to what is best for a Mustang with comp suspension. I would agree, a standard suspension car might only need a 5/8" bar should an owner wish to fit one.

And yes, it would be very nice to be offered some sort of deal to Forum members. No, I'm NOT holding my breath on this one either.
If the one you have now is workable and they offer a new bar, I may be interested in getting your current one off you. Especially since your also in Canada so shipping wouldnt be as scary lol. 

If the one you have now is workable and they offer a new bar, I may be interested in getting your current one off you. Especially since your also in Canada so shipping wouldnt be as scary lol. 
Yeah well don't hole your breath!  BUT if miracles happen, I'll keep you in mind. I'm pretty sure more will be posted on this later.

Looks like your new bar is a 1970 bar.

View attachment 44063

View attachment 44064
I'll chime in here too. I think you're right and yet another example of "one-size-fits-all".  It's that "well it should fit" approach that screws us way too many times, costing us time and money, but hey, they made a sale so who cares.

Jpaz,  a quick piggy back update. I ordered a set of Eaton Boss 351 152 lb springs. If you missed the update on the Eaton video post, I called Eaton and they have a distributor in Windsor. The springs have to be made to order, but I should have them in about 3 weeks. At least I know they will fit!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll chime in here too. I think you're right and yet another example of "one-size-fits-all".  It's that "well it should fit" approach that screws us way too many times, costing us time and money, but hey, they made a sale so who cares.

Jpaz,  a quick piggy back update. I ordered a set of Eaton Boss 351 152 lb springs. If you missed the update on the Eaton video post, I called Eaton and they have a distributor in Windsor. The springs have to be made to order, but I should have them in about 3 weeks. At least I know they will fit!! 
That’s cool Geoff, glad there’s a distributor there. I am thinking about doing the same. Will be waiting to hear how you like them. Do the Boss springs have a heavier spring rate? I’m sure they probably do and I bet they fit like a glove. Hope it works out good for you.

That’s cool Geoff, glad there’s a distributor there. I am thinking about doing the same. Will be waiting to hear how you like them. Do the Boss springs have a heavier spring rate? I’m sure they probably do and I bet they fit like a glove. Hope it works out good for you.
Hi John, Yes the Boss 351 springs are rated at 152.5 lbs compared to 138 stock on the Mach 1 and 429. I will for sure update when I get them in a couple of weeks. I also ordered new U bolts. The leaf spring material thickness I'm told is thicker at 5/16" compared to1/4" stock.

Hmmm, I’m surprised that the 429 cars didn’t get the heavy weight springs too. I guess I’ll wait to see how you like the stiffer spring on your car. Good luck with your install!

Boss 351s were in a class of their own. The factory leaf springs also sat the car a little lower in the rear from what I've read. 

Boss 351s were in a class of their own. The factory leaf springs also sat the car a little lower in the rear from what I've read. 
Hemikiller and jpaz, I guess I'll find out. I'm told the free arc is the same as the 138 lbs springs. Eaton do make 1" longer shackles which I will buy if the ride height is a bit lower than I like, so there is an option. As for a harder ride, the GTA's I have on now are supposed to be 175 lb s/r and that being the case, the Boss springs will be a little softer. With the heavy anti-sway bar and the KYB's (which might get changed next year) I don't find the ride horrible at all. In fact I prefer a stiffer, better handling car to one that feels like it's floating around.

I'll be sure to update once I get the springs in a couple of weeks....I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I got a really nice, and I guess surprising text message from Addco today. The guy that I have been in contact with asked me for my address, so I sent it to him. About 10 minutes later he sends me a pic of the box with new and old sway bars in it. I should receive it by Friday I guess. 
I am really looking forward to seeing what they came up with. He didn’t send me a pic of the new one, so I’ll have to see how it looks when it gets here. I will post some pics of it when it arrives. I still can’t believe that they did all this. I get a free bar and they paid for all the shipping! Took awhile but it was understandable.

John, that's awesome. Let's hope they have come up with a correct fit for our year cars. Do they realize that they will be flooded with request for replacements? I'll be in line for sure.

I received the new and my original back yesterday. It looks more like the original one. They did keep it at 7/8 diameter. It pretty much just looks like they made the mounting area wider, so there should be no more issues with the mounts being jammed into the bends of the bar. Anyway, it looks like it will definitely fit better. Here’s a pic of the new one next to the original.

80A8A837-78A4-4B00-8A52-533E03353547.jpeg

I finally got around to installing the new redesigned sway bar. It fits like it should now. The area where the bar mounts is wider and the mounts aren’t jammed in the bends of the bar. I guess the only thing that could be done better would be to shorten the spacers for the end links some, about an inch or so. But other than that I’m happy with it. Here’s a couple pics 

0FF5EA15-4851-445E-813D-76678906B2B3.jpeg

6CAC2746-AD7C-487F-A635-A9FFA3FFD438.jpeg

34E46029-FA55-46D0-84F3-5792EC824C53.jpeg

Back