Repairing my fuel line questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detector

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q Code
1995 GT Convertible
Gotta love when one fix leads to another.

I was addressing mexhaustst issue that my 3" Flowmaster system ends at the rear axle, and looking to see what I can do to extend it out the rear where it should be. On the left(drivers side) I'm looking at how to close the pipe will run to the fuel tank lines and notice I've got to address improper fuel line issues first.

I'm guessing the hfuelfule line used is meant to increase the flow of fuel to the engine, but it was done very cheaply. All the hoses directly out of fuelfule tank are rubber 3/8" hose. I can't see how running an exhaust pipe near this is going to work. I have no idea what the original fuel lines at the tank sending unit looked like. If someone has a good picture, or could take one, I'd sure appreciate it. This is the first car I've seen where the fuel tank exit/sending unit isconvenientnyet to access. I like it but the left pipe must go very close to it.

It looks as though they used some plain 3/8" aluminum pipe to run the fuel to the engine along the body. What is the proper route and fuel line size? Is this special line or can you use brake line tubing from Autozone? Here is some pictures of what I'm dealing with and sure would appreciate all input for ideas.

73fueltank1-1.jpg

73fueltank1.jpg

73fueltank3.jpg

Fuel line running along the body to the engine

73fuelline.jpg

Hey Detector! (I don´y actually know your name...or dont remember?? i´m growing old :p)... Anyway... As i always say i´m always trying to help but i dont really now anything not even close to the level some other guys have in here... so my 50 cent are always untill someone who nows correct me :p

My car has the same rubber hose in the rear at the fuel tank part... Mine that could be still factory original is a rubber covered with some fabric that in my opinion can be a heat shell.... I strongly believe rubber hose is the wat to go back there because the heat coming out of the rear exhaust is minimun... I wouldn´t worry about that...

The other thing i can apreciate in your pics is that you also have a rubber hose as line from the rear to the front... In my car that is a metal one shaped to match the floor... kinda brake line shaped but wider...

Maybe you can talk to Don at OMS about it :)

Hope it helps!!

Thanks Damián. By the way my name is Terry.

Actually the line running along the body to the engine that is silver color is some kind of aluminum? pipe not rubber. Will standard brake line work? Like the kind you can buy over the counter at the parts store or is it special line made for fuel?

Nice to meet you Terry! :p jeje...

The fuel line i believe is common steel, not aluminiun... Is much bigger in diameter than a brake line and is quite messy bended here and there to fit where it is supposed... I believe a 3/16 brake pipe is not what you´re looking for...

I try searching the fuel pipe for you at OMS and i couldn´t find it but you can ask Don if he has it there and even if a repro pipe is made nowadays... If not, i think Ray had a 1973 Mach1 that he was parting out... Maybe a used pipe works at least to model a new one...

Boss1Ray is the Ray that´s parting the Mach1!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Damián. By the way my name is Terry.

Actually the line running along the body to the engine that is silver color is some kind of aluminum? pipe not rubber. Will standard brake line work? Like the kind you can buy over the counter at the parts store or is it special line made for fuel?
The pre-bent line is available. If Don doesn't carry it check at CJ Pony. About $90.00 plus shipping. Chuck

Back