Replacing gasket on pop open gas cap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea, I made mine before removing the old one. My old one was so bad I thought it would tear apart when removing.
I felt then I would have no gasket.šŸ˜ƒ
That is why I measured and found the closest thing to the measurements I needed.

Hey gang, along the lines of the cap discussion, I saw where they're selling a new pop open with the plunger components and a screw on cap if that person wanted an option. My cap components were long since removed and a screw on cap for under the pop open. Is anyone selling the components? I dislike the idea of dropping close to a hundred for the parts and that what the whole shebang costs. So, if no one has a source, that might be the only option.

I'm also interested in finding a good gasket replacement for my twist off cap under the pop open cover.

I decided to make my own. I found 3/32ā€ thick neoprene 12ā€ x 12ā€ sheet on Amazon for less than $5. My existing gasket measured 3/32ā€ using a multimeter. Found that the diameter of a can of soup is just slightly larger than 2.5ā€. I marked it on the sheet of rubber and cut it using a exacto knife. Then found a socket that was an inch diameter used it for measuring and cutting the center hole. Not perfect but it seals very well. I stretched the rubber around the center and with a thin flathead screwdriver push under the lip.
I have attached a few pictures and below is the link to Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Comm-Grade-N...6&sprefix=3/32+neoprene+rubber,aps,175&sr=8-4
I appreciate the post here. I ordered some cheap Buna-N Rubber off of Amazon and will make my own. My cap is a little different, but I'm glad I was able to find this post and maybe fix the gas smell in my garage.

Latest posts

Back