Resto mod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyed chatting with you again this evening, and really liked seeing your car in person. I really like your security system. The wife and I were talking on the way home and we had an idea. Maybe a very small piece of reflective tape on the windshield would allow you to see that the system is "armed" from the driver's seat during daylight. ;)

Just a thought.

Ron
Thanks! It was nice seeing you two again. I only wish now I was driving my Van to SC, so I could stop by Bristol on the way back to tow your Mustang home for you. Going to crash now. Tomorrow is more interior, and an attempt at air conditioning. Glad I finally made it to Cruise night!

Enjoyed chatting with you again this evening, and really liked seeing your car in person. I really like your security system. The wife and I were talking on the way home and we had an idea. Maybe a very small piece of reflective tape on the windshield would allow you to see that the system is "armed" from the driver's seat during daylight. ;)

Just a thought.

Ron
Thanks! It was nice seeing you two again. I only wish now I was driving my Van to SC, so I could stop by Bristol on the way back to tow your Mustang home for you. Going to crash now. Tomorrow is more interior, and an attempt at air conditioning. Glad I finally made it to Cruise night!
Oh, and got the windows tinted!

Cruise.jpg

tint.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... just wow...

Very impressive work, grasshopper.

There's go to be some old farts on here who are desperately trying to figure out some stupid reference to the old "Kung Fu" TV show where david Caradine said "Snatch the pebble from my hand, grasshopper."

Has anyone ever actually had one of these aftermarket a/c kits that worked? Every connection is new and tight, and it won't even hold vacuum for 2 min. I don't have any idea how to find a leak on a system that's never been charged up. Ugh. Oh well, so it will be a hot ride to South Carolina. I'm still taking the mustang! I'm not scared of a little heat. The only part of the drivetrain that I'm not happy about is the rear end, so let's do something about that right now. How about a nice new Currie third member? Now I can wear out my rear tires evenly, instead of just one.

Rearend.jpg

You need to pressurize the system with dry nitrogen to check / find the leak

Thanks! I will do exactly that. I'm hoping it's somplace I can get to without yanking the dashboard back out.

Thanks! I will do exactly that. I'm hoping it's somplace I can get to without yanking the dashboard back out.
That big of a leak sounds like a missing or split O ring on the newer systems or a cracked fitting on the old style units

That big of a leak sounds like a missing or split O ring on the newer systems or a cracked fitting on the old style units
I used a few drops of mineral oil on every o-ring, and was careful with my connections. I'll work on it when I get back from my road trip. I need to sweat off a few pounds anyway.

Ok, minor freakout. I was draining the old rear end oil when I noticed the case looked different than my new one. A few googles later, I am relieved to find out there are more than one kind of 9 inch case. I now have the "N" case. The "N" stands for nodular, a word that I now like to say. For example, "Yeah, I went ahead and put a nodular rear end in my mustang". Sounds cool to me!

rearend2.jpg

Ok, minor freakout. I was draining the old rear end oil when I noticed the case looked different than my new one. A few googles later, I am relieved to find out there are more than one kind of 9 inch case. I now have the "N" case. The "N" stands for nodular, a word that I now like to say. For example, "Yeah, I went ahead and put a nodular rear end in my mustang". Sounds cool to me!
Are you sure the "N" doesn't stand for "Nifty"? ;)

I didn't make it. I got greedy and thought I could swap out the rearend before I left, and it turns out I need a special rear U joint to make this drive shaft work with the new yolk. I didn't even think of that until I tried to bolt up the driveshaft. A 20 dollar part. I'll finish the car up when I get back from my road trip.

I didn't make it. I got greedy and thought I could swap out the rearend before I left, and it turns out I need a special rear U joint to make this drive shaft work with the new yolk. I didn't even think of that until I tried to bolt up the driveshaft. A 20 dollar part. I'll finish the car up when I get back from my road trip.
So did you put the old chunk back in and take the Mustang on your road trip? Or did you break down and take something with AC?

Of course, do you really need AC in that car, since it is so totally cool already. ;)

I took another car. I already put the oil in, and smashed my fingers a little putting this third member in. I am a little bummed out, but now I can take my time and doing a few finishing touches when I get back. Minor details like a passenger seat and stuff.

I took another car. I already put the oil in, and smashed my fingers a little putting this third member in. I am a little bummed out, but now I can take my time and doing a few finishing touches when I get back. Minor details like a passenger seat and stuff.
Have a safe and fun trip. When you get back, let me know. I'd be glad to swing by and help you heft that new chunk into place so you can bolt it in.

I'm back in Memphis and ready to drive! My first day back I spied this emerald beauty in Midtown. She keeps it clean!

Miastang.jpg

Back