Resto mod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to update my old gauges. I like the stock ones, but they are kind of vague. I'm adding AC, and I want to know my temp accurately.

Step one, destroy the bezel on a brand new gauge.

step two, carefully dissasemble original gauges. I'll hang on to them, I'm sure someone around here needs a set.

Step 3, remove material wearing safety glasses.

gauges1.jpg

gauges2.jpg

gauges3.jpg

gauges4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Today I decided to go ahead and relocate the battery to the trunk. It was kind of a pain running the oversized cable, but worth it for the extra space, and weight distribution.

battery1.jpg

Ok, here's how I contoured the braces. I got a strip of steel from lowes, and welded it along the cut to keep it strong.

brace3.jpg

brace5.jpg

brace6.jpg

brace7.jpg

brace8.jpg

brace9.jpg

A salvage electric fan put in a factory style fan guard. Not sure it will move enough air for A/C sitting still in traffic, but it's not a hard thing to change later if it doesn't cut it.
You are making fantastic time. Looks like an awesome build...very inspirational for me to get my butt in gear.

Concerning the electric fan. I recommend you put it right up against the radiator so it will pull air through the radiator. If it's setting in the middle of the shroud it will pull very little, if any, air through the radiator but will be pulling air from the gap between the shroud and the smaller electric fan shroud since that would be the path of least resistance for the air.

There was a very good electric fan discussion on here some time ago using a fan setup from a late model Lincoln. Seems like BT or Chuck made the original thread. Might be useful to look up for your consideration.

Good progress tonight. Headlights, wipers, gauges and more gauges wired. Just a few finishing touches on the wiring, and I'll be ready to install the dash. Gauges came out better than I'd hoped. I used an adhesive that I could cut away with a blade if I ever need/want to change them out.

gauges7.jpg

gauges8.jpg

Got the AC controls ready. Kind of cool setup, converting the cables to electrical wires, keeping the stock controls.

AC controls.jpg

Thanks! Those gauges came with a green or red bulb filter, and led bulbs are available. I don't want to jinx it, but I think I have the dash in for the last time. All wires ran, so far everything works.

dash4.jpg

I have the exact same gauges in mine (sport comp). I wanna know how you removed the bezels. Did you cut them off? I tried to pry them open but with no success.

I have the exact same gauges in mine (sport comp). I wanna know how you removed the bezels. Did you cut them off? I tried to pry them open but with no success.
I used a small flathead screwdriver as pictured, worked it around the gauge giving the screwdriver about a quarter turn, then rotate the guage a tiny bit, repeat... then I switched to a slightly larger screwdriver. Be careful not to flex the body of the guage too much. It's kind of soft plastic.

The bezel is just "crimped" on. There is no adhesive, just a rubber gasket and glass. (this is just an old guage I had in a box)

gauges9.jpg

Let's cut big holes in a perfectly good dash! The original holes were in a rectangular shape, so I kind of followed that design.

speaker1.jpg

speaker2.jpg

Back