Resto mod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work. You've come up with some great ideas.
Thanks very much. This car had enough missing when I got it that I knew it would never be all original.

That gave me the nerve/freedom to customize it. I really like the original look. I will probably even keep these dog-dish hubcaps! I'm hoping my modifications are subtle enough that only Mach 1 guys can tell the difference. Unless I raise the hood, that is.

Thanks for the info. I also have the chrome ones like yours in the explanation pic and wanted to swap the aluminum bezels for the chrome ones but I gave up because I didn't wanna ruin them.

Subscribed! This is an awesome build. Great job! :salute:

Rich
Thanks again for all the positive comments.

Speaker openings done! They aren't chip foose quality, but good enough for rock and roll.

speaker3.jpg

Ok, so I wussed out. The headliner just didn't look right so I took it to Don's upholstery and in one hour they made it awesome. It stings paying that much for an hours work, but it was worth it. Notice another Mach 1 in the shop! (mine's cooler)

headliner5.jpg

Grasshopper,

I have a friend who carried his 1973 convert rear quarter panels to local Upholstery shop and they were able to staple the wind lace to the panels like the factory did it. He had several other upholstery items work done by them. He stated it was not cheap, but the finished product was much better that if he did it.

http://www.autointeriorsandtops.com/

mustang7173

Grasshopper,

I have a friend who carried his 1973 convert rear quarter panels to local Upholstery shop and they were able to staple the wind lace to the panels like the factory did it. He had several other upholstery items work done by them. He stated it was not cheap, but the finished product was much better that if he did it.

http://www.autointeriorsandtops.com/

mustang7173
Sometimes it's just better to call in a pro. Like installing the glass. What a nightmare! But it's done. I'm glad I tinted the back glass while I had it out.

glass2.jpg

glass.jpg

Amazing...all I can say. Really gets me in the mood to start wrenching on mine again. I hate summer because I work so much in the heat I am too tired to go outside and wrench on the car. 60 hrs 6 days a week leaves only Sunday open for me. However I think I might just get around to installing my gauges I bought back in spring today! It's only gonna be 80 here in VA with low humidity. Might install my exhaust if I can get my dad to clear his lift for me.

Amazing...all I can say. Really gets me in the mood to start wrenching on mine again. I hate summer because I work so much in the heat I am too tired to go outside and wrench on the car. 60 hrs 6 days a week leaves only Sunday open for me. However I think I might just get around to installing my gauges I bought back in spring today! It's only gonna be 80 here in VA with low humidity. Might install my exhaust if I can get my dad to clear his lift for me.
One guage at a time. I've been working on my AC all morning. I'm ready to beat this heat here in Memphis also!

+1! I was moving along nicely on mine until a few weeks ago. We had a mean heat spell here in CT! I work outside all day too and by the time I get home it's all I can do to stay awake long enough to eat dinner and tuck the kids in! Now that it's cooling off a bit we're getting geared up for our Disney vacation next week so not working on it this week or next either. Like everyone one always says, all it takes is time & money to build a car. Unfortunately most of us are short on at least one of the two. Very inspiring thread though! Makes me wanna get going on mine ASAP! Keep up the good work!

Got sidetracked, but I'm back on it now. Tossed in a new distributor, coil, and module. Just finished connecting the lines to the new ac compressor.

engine.jpg

Made some progress this morning. Connected the heater valve, ran the heater hoses, finished the wiring for the electric fan, wire up the ac compressor and pressure switch. Now a break, then warm it up and set the timing. 14 degrees, and I'll run the good gas.

Picked this tip up on some hot rod tv show. I drilled two small holes in the hood hinges and body before removal to "index" the exact location when I put them back on.

I hate cutting the radio bezel, but I hate having no radio worse.

New wiring in the column, so now I won't drive around with my turn signal on.

index.jpg

radio.jpg

interior.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for all the positive comments.

Speaker openings done! They aren't chip foose quality, but good enough for rock and roll.
Good lord, that looks pretty awesome as is! I like. :D

Rich

Enjoyed chatting with you again this evening, and really liked seeing your car in person. I really like your security system. The wife and I were talking on the way home and we had an idea. Maybe a very small piece of reflective tape on the windshield would allow you to see that the system is "armed" from the driver's seat during daylight. ;)

Just a thought.

Ron

Back