Revisionist history vs "the way it really was"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

You know, I have been living, breathing and generally been well-acquainted with Mustangs...and especially 71-73 Mustangs since 1970. That's 45 years I've been very familiar with them.

I have lived through all the "eras" of our cars;

1) When they were brand-new in late '70 and when only a few magazine road tests had anything overall positive to say about them.

2) Around mid-71 when they started to lose thier appeal...most complaining they were too big, looked to much like a small Torino.

3) NEVER being accepted as a"classic" Mustang. back then, it was very clear what a 1st-gen Mustang was: 65-70. The 71-73s were NOT included in "classic" status for many, many years.

4) Then...the 65/66 convertibles peaked first in value, around the mid-to-late 70s.

5) Shortly thereafter, I would say around 78-80 any old "musclecar" began to spur some interest. The GT's and Mach 1s became insanely popular with high-school kids as awesome and cheap used cars. (sorry...only the 69/70 mach1s got any respect at that time)

Then a wierd thing happened:

As the muscle-car craze picked up steam during the early to mid 80s, the big block Mustangs climbed out of sight. A 69 mach 1 with a 428 SCJ (drag pack) and shaker, with a 4speed was the "Holy Grail" at the time. An average condition one could easily fetch 25K, and a low mileage original was an easy $50,000. BOSS 429s went to $100,000 right away, especially when it became known that Reggie Jackson was an avid collector and owned 2 or 3 of them.

Instead of all this collectibilty trickling down onto the unpopular 71-73s...the opposite happened. They actually went DOWN in value as the earlier Mustangs continued to climb ever higher in value.

In the mid eighties, it was very easy to find several 351 Q code mach 1s with a 4-speed in excellent used condition with a decent level of options (around 50-70,000 miles) for $1500 or less.

Other $800-$1000 mach 1s with 351 2-Vs and auto trans' were also quite common, as were Grande's and coupes.

Convertibles always held up a little better in value, but the 71-73s were always far behind thier younger bretheren.

The 71-73s were considered cool cars by the average guy, but the supposed "Mustang" guys looked down on them.

Beacuse I am an original owner of my 71, I have always loved these the best (natch!). Over the years, I have owned many 71-73 Mustangs...all bought for mere pennies compared to what other Mustangs were worth at the time. Several 351 4-speeds, which really wasn't all that rare. I had fun with them all, and made what I considered a decent profit on all of them when I sold them.

And I will confess right now: Many of them kindly donated some of thier parts to my 71 429...the "jewel" of my stable over the years, to keep it "minty fresh".

Dash boards, door panels, seat parts, console parts, etc...if it was better than what was in "Old Boots", the switch was made.

Unfortunately, this made "Old Boots" kind of a "Frankenstiened" car, but I don't care. It still looks and drives great, as good as it ever did.

The 429s and BOSS 351s were quick to rise in value, and NOBODY knew about the 72 HOs. I once had a supposed knowledgable mechanic tell me that "HO" was a designation for a new "metric" style of engine! Sheesh!

And one thing I remember QUITE CLEARLY: Most of the 71-73 Mach 1s crawling around the streets back then did NOT have Ram-Air. That actually was a pretty rare sighting to see one. Not like today, where EVERY 71-73 MUSTANG seems to have "factory Ram Air". There were plenty of guys out there who sprayed a basterdized version of the tutone on thier NASA hoods with rattle-can paint, but it almost NEVER looked correct. And of course no one went to the trouble of installing factory twist locks in the hood.

Magnum 500s are the same: Not every Mach 1 came with the Magnums and F-60s. Many of them, maybe even MOST of them had the 2-piece "action styled" hub cap/ trim ring combo (Ford's description, not mine!) with skinny white-walled tires. That was a very common sight back in the day.

Actually, the DAF James Bond Mach 1 is a great example of what the "average" 71-73 mach 1 looked like back in the day.

Today, every car you see is dolled up with every available factory option it could have had...regardless if it actually came that way or not.

I get appreciative when I see an unmolested original car sporting its base-level equipment. Reminds me of how it really was...

Last edited:
Just for fun. What would you change if you could travel back in time and order a brand new 71-73 from the factory, which year/model and options/colour would be on your order sheet? Would it be any different from the car you have now?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be the same as what i have now, but maybe I would get a 4-speed.

For the record: I ordered my car new, and even though I ordered the rear defrost and the intermittent wipers...it was not built with them. The salesman gave me some cock'n bull story about not being available in combo with other options, but really I just think they forget to order it correctly.

I regretted not getting the SCJ for a few years, but I am glad now that I did not. Unless you plan on living at the dragstrip, the SCJ gives no real advantage over the CJ (sorry, SCJ guys!), and is far less "streetable" to drive. 3.91s and 4.11s are fun, but get tiresome if used for daily driving. The fuel mileage on the Rochester carb (CJ) vs the Holley (SCJ) is vastly different, also. My car has always averaged around 12-15 MPG, SCJs are regularly 10 mpg or less.

Plus the CJs are (were) available with more options!

The fact that the SCJ had several durability-minded performance upgrades seems to make some assume that the "regular" CJs are fragile and less of a performer. Absolutely untrue. The CJ performs near identically to the SCJ, and is as strong as an old anvil. The Ford 385-series Lima block (429/460) is one of the strongest and most durable engines ever made.

I love the red and black, but I would also love a grabber blue with argent trim version.

Kit just want to tell you you have a beautiful car. To Quote you I have also lived through the eras of our cars. I ordered my car new also. When I ordered it I had to put $500.00 (non refundable) down on it because it was a 351 4V 4 speed, even thou ( the owner of the dealership) he grew up in the same neighborhood as my mom and new me since I was little. The owner of the dealership was trying to get me to order an automatic 351 2V because he did not want to get stuck with a 4 speed convertible (1 of 293 built).

I was constantly bothering the dealership on when when car would be in, they had a Vin no. and a tentative build sheet on it and they had forgotten the instrumentation group so he said they could add it on at the dealership which I was not having so the salesman took me in the back room where they called Dearborn and lucky for them they were a few days behind schedule so they had it on. Luckily the car was due o be built the next day. I got a call when the car came in and it was still up on the car hauler when I noticed it was missing the chrome trumpets like a Mach 1 Ford had eliminated them in Feb on convertibles and hardtops because they were running short on parts. They eventually did run out I have seen Mach 1's built the end of the model year that don't have the chrome tips. I still have the original tail pipes on my car if anyone ever wants to see what they look like I can post a pic.

Kit just want to tell you you have a beautiful car. To Quote you I have also lived through the eras of our cars. I ordered my car new also. When I ordered it I had to put $500.00 (non refundable) down on it because it was a 351 4V 4 speed, even thou ( the owner of the dealership) he grew up in the same neighborhood as my mom and new me since I was little. The owner of the dealership was trying to get me to order an automatic 351 2V because he did not want to get stuck with a 4 speed convertible (1 of 293 built).

I was constantly bothering the dealership on when when car would be in, they had a Vin no. and a tentative build sheet on it and they had forgotten the instrumentation group so he said they could add it on at the dealership which I was not having so the salesman took me in the back room where they called Dearborn and lucky for them they were a few days behind schedule so they had it on. Luckily the car was due o be built the next day. I got a call when the car came in and it was still up on the car hauler when I noticed it was missing the chrome trumpets like a Mach 1 Ford had eliminated them in Feb on convertibles and hardtops because they were running short on parts. They eventually did run out I have seen Mach 1's built the end of the model year that don't have the chrome tips. I still have the original tail pipes on my car if anyone ever wants to see what they look like I can post a pic.
Mustang68, another one owner car!, it would be great to see some pics if you can post any?

Yep...$500 down to order it? I wish I had it so easy! My selling dealer (Don MacMillan Ford, Houston) would only order the car if we paid for it IN FULL, 100%...UP FRONT!

He claimed that he would NEVER be able to sell a fully-loaded big block if we backed out.

So, we paid $5514 and ordered the car.

This is the first time I have ever heard that chrome tips and cut-out valances were used from the factory on any model OTHER than a Mach 1.

I have seen dual-exhaust Mach 1s without the chrome tips and cut-outs, and agree it was probably due to low parts inventories, but never knew of that stuff on any non-Mach 1 models.

Mustang68, another one owner car!, it would be great to see some pics if you can post any?
I have pictures posted on my profile. I also have pictures of my 68 Mustang (original 428cobra jet)and our MUSTANG ROOM (that was my wife idea)We dated in my 73 conv. and been married over 41 years:run_horse:

Yep...$500 down to order it? I wish I had it so easy! My selling dealer (Don MacMillan Ford, Houston) would only order the car if we paid for it IN FULL, 100%...UP FRONT!

He claimed that he would NEVER be able to sell a fully-loaded big block if we backed out.

So, we paid $5514 and ordered the car.

This is the first time I have ever heard that chrome tips and cut-out valances were used from the factory on any model OTHER than a Mach 1.

I have seen dual-exhaust Mach 1s without the chrome tips and cut-outs, and agree it was probably due to low parts inventories, but never knew of that stuff on any non-Mach 1 models.
This is part of an article that was in Mustang Monthly August 2003 explaining why his original Mach 1 didn't have chrome tips on it, it was because it was built in June 1973.

I have seen brand new 72-73 convertible,scan0011.jpg 351 4V's with chrome tips back in the 70's but they are rare.

Back