Revisiting installing a Hayden 2710 fan clutch and Derale 17118 fan.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, for a post that I thought would just be quick and dirty, it is getting very interesting and informative. It definitely means I need to do some more research to confirm the fan I'm thinking of and that was mentioned in an earlier thread, will indeed fit either the 2710 or 2765 and now I see there is another possibility,  the 2947. Lets think of it another way, we're in a lockdown here in Ontario, so I  have nothing better to do to keep me out of trouble.

Doing a bit more digging, I find that the 2947 is a heavy duty clutch and runs at 70-90% of water pump speed, but has the advantage of being quite a bit lower profile suited for fan with a greater pitch, 2 - 2/12", whereas the 2710 or 2765 are for fans with a pitch of 1 - 1 1/2". Now to check into suitable fans although I'm pretty sure it will be the Derale 17118 I'll chose. Any thoughts?

Dorman 23733 is the water pump stud kit. Most auto parts stores have them in stock. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Help-23733-Water-Pump/dp/B000CO779G

2947 was used in a lot of Ford trucks of various option loads, probably not necessary for a Mustang. I'm running a 2710 currently on my 71 and just bought a new one. I figure 15 years is a long enough service life and with the new engine going in, just replace it. 

Dorman 23733 is the water pump stud kit. Most auto parts stores have them in stock. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Help-23733-Water-Pump/dp/B000CO779G

2947 was used in a lot of Ford trucks of various option loads, probably not necessary for a Mustang. I'm running a 2710 currently on my 71 and just bought a new one. I figure 15 years is a long enough service life and with the new engine going in, just replace it. 
Thanks for clarifying that for the 2947 Hemikiller. It was not really an option, but the number came up, so worth checking out for information only.

So, on your car, are you using a thicker or 3 core rad and do you have good clearance, or would there be no issue regardless, therefore no need to buy the alternative 2765 as a "just in case" sort of thing.

I appreciate all the interest and offerings from everyone.

I am running the 2947 on my 460 with the 18" Derale fan and a slightly modified 351C fan shroud. The 2947 is so low profile that putting the nuts on the studs can be challenging. The fan depth in the shroud is not optimal but it cools fine. The fan is not loud. I am contemplating going to the 429 shroud and 19" fan not that it is needed.

I am running the 2947 on my 460 with the 18" Derale fan and a slightly modified 351C fan shroud. The 2947 is so low profile that putting the nuts on the studs can be challenging. The fan depth in the shroud is not optimal but it cools fine. The fan is not loud. I am contemplating going to the 429 shroud and 19" fan not that it is needed.
Thanks for that Tommy.

I've decided to order the 2710 and the Derale 18" fan and IF I find I need a lower profile 2765, I'll address that as and when. I'm not sure I like the looks of the Dorman stud kit, they look "cheap" compared to the professional fixtures I'm used to using.

For whatever it is worth it I used a Hayden 2710 with a Flex-a-lite 14544 1/2" spacer, a 3-core radiator and stock fan. The fan sticks out about 1/3 out of the shroud. I can't say that this will be the same in every car. At least in my case, my drivetrain is at a little steeper angle than stock due to the TKO600 which changes the fitment of the fan.

I looked through my order history and found out mine is a 2710 not the 1710. So possibly defective. The reviews on these clutches are very hit and miss. 
 Did you think to compare pictures of the two. Is there a chance you happened to have been shipped the wrong one and you didn't realize? Hemikiller just changed one after 15 years, so I hope the one I get outlasts the time I'll own the car.

There are alternative manufacturers for similar fan clutches. Rock Auto list 3. Hope I made the right choice.

I am contemplating going to the 429 shroud
Unless you have one, let me know where you can find these. Got one last year from Ecklers, also avail from few others and all made by mac's antiques. They are expensive ABS pieces of junk, that's all they are. Certainly no shroud.

For whatever it is worth it I used a Hayden 2710 with a Flex-a-lite 14544 1/2" spacer, a 3-core radiator and stock fan. The fan sticks out about 1/3 out of the shroud. I can't say that this will be the same in every car. At least in my case, my drivetrain is at a little steeper angle than stock due to the TKO600 which changes the fitment of the fan.
Thanks Tony for the spacer number. Jpaz also mentioned using a 1/2" spacer. I'll keep that in mind when I finally get started on this next little project.

I just got my order confirmation from Summit to find out the Derale 17188 18" fan is on backorder for two months, despite them showing it as "in stock". It's a good thing I'm in no rush as I don't want to order parts from different vendors and deal with extra shipping cost.

Thanks Tony for the spacer number. Jpaz also mentioned using a 1/2" spacer. I'll keep that in mind when I finally get started on this next little project.

I just got my order confirmation from Summit to find out the Derale 17188 18" fan is on backorder for two months, despite them showing it as "in stock". It's a good thing I'm in no rush as I don't want to order parts from different vendors and deal with extra shipping cost.
Just in case you need it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CNLCHK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did you think to compare pictures of the two. Is there a chance you happened to have been shipped the wrong one and you didn't realize? Hemikiller just changed one after 15 years, so I hope the one I get outlasts the time I'll own the car.

There are alternative manufacturers for similar fan clutches. Rock Auto list 3. Hope I made the right choice.
Yup. I definitely have the right one. Just doesn't work as it should. 

Hmmm, that's disturbing!
Not entirely surprising if you real all of the reviews on them. Seems like it's certainly not the only one. I'd bet 85% of them are good, but obviously with anything mass produced, especially these days, it's gonna happen. I may not change it for a while...at least it's cooling! : )

Well folks, I just got my Hayden 2710 fan clutch and the Derale 17118 fan delivered from Summit. My first thought is these two together are considerably heavier than the factory fan, so I'm wondering if the extra load on the water pump shaft bearing will be an issue in future. I know several of you are using this combo, so has anyone had or noticed any problems? 

For now, although the car is sitting in my garage which is not heated, I may decide to trial fit it as long as it's above freezing. I'm getting very bored under our current lockdown, so looking for stuff to do. The "Honey-Do" list is all but done (for now), so working in a cold garage seems like a plan. IF I find I need a 1/2" spacer as some have indicated, I have an extra factory spacer I can get cut down at my former machine shop if I talk nicely to my former boss. 

Back