Selling Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybale23

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1
Where is the best place to find out what I should post my Mustang for? I am contemplating selling it and need a ballpark number.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Need the car details, engine, trans, etc stuff, what options, and where the car is located.
I'm not real good at all that stuff, but I'll tell you what I know:

351C 2V heads in car bored 30 over roller rockers and lunati cam. TKO 500 5 speed comp clutch. New radiator and gas tank. Holley carb and intake.

Bottom line: cars are worth what a buyer is willing to pay, and a seller is willing to accept.

Watch the sales at the auctions (Mecum, Barrett-Jackson, etc.), online auction site BaT (bringatrailer.com), Hemmings.com, etc. That will give an idea what these cars are bringing currently. You'll occasionally find lesser cars selling for more than you'd expect, and nicer cars not bringing what they should, but over time you'll develop a sense of the price range.

Take time to create a description of the car for your ad. Use the descriptions on BaT for examples. More documentation is better and, as mentioned, a Marti Report will interest potential buyers. Any receipts of work that's been done will help, also. And take plenty of pictures--nice quality pics above, btw.

Good luck with your sale!

I have no idea of what our cars are worth but that is a beautiful car! I love that color, is that the original color? Really really nice car, judging by condition, I would think it would bring top dollar. Good luck!

Very nice looking car.

First thing that pops out to me is the '73 bumper and fenders on a '72. That is going to raise some eyebrows, and you're going to get a lot of "not a '72" comments. Hopefully there's a simple explanation as to why it is like that.

I would start with pulling a deluxe Marti Report, then verify that the current options match the report. If there are any major discrepancies, then you'll need to dig deeper.

I have no idea of what our cars are worth but that is a beautiful car! I love that color, is that the original color? Really really nice car, judging by condition, I would think it would bring top dollar. Good luck!
Thanks. Not original color. It was originally red. The color is what drew me to buying it.

No. Is it worth getting if I am selling it?
Its kind of something that we see on the nicer examples of our cars. I dont think it actually ups the value at all, unless the car has some rare or a lot of options. If its just another 72 mustang that looks like 20k other ones, the marti report ends up just being stats that gets copy/pasted into the listing to fluff it up with more words.

What would help more would be picture of the restoration. There are some things in yours that are definitely not original. steering wheel, transmission, engine is rebuilt, you said its a Q code, but it has 2V heads?, wrong bumper, and a lot of the parts are new reproduction rather than 50yr old original parts. Not that thats a bad thing, but it does help to give potential buyers an accurate idea of what is being sold.

It shows well and is a good color combo. Some folks will like the upgrades like the TKO, others will shy away from it. And remember, you only have to sell it once. A higher price means a possible longer wait for 'the right buyer' but you only need to find one.

It shows well and is a good color combo. Some folks will like the upgrades like the TKO, others will shy away from it. And remember, you only have to sell it once. A higher price means a possible longer wait for 'the right buyer' but you only need to find one.
Thank you. You are correct. I am in no rush, so may sit on it to get the right buyer. I will probably post it for mid $30's. Thanks again.

Back