Silencer hangs very low

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
I am asking the age-old mechanic's question: "what did I go wrong?"

351 Cleveland 2V.  

Everything new from the heads to the muffler. New heads (1of them) manifolds (1 of them), "Y" pipe, exhaust pipe and muffler

The old muffle hung low also but not this bad.

I adjusted the "Y" pipe and it helped but it has a long way to go.

Here are some pix of the old and new system.

Any suggestions?

TNX,

Roy

1: get some jackstands. Those sheetmetal scissor jacks are second only to bumper jacks for being unsafe.

2: you don't have the muffler hanger or the tailpipe in place. Pop the tailpipe into the muffler now. The muffler should sit up into the recess in the floor fairly tightly. Use that floor jack to push it up - after you get jackstands.

3: leave everything finger tight til you get the muffler where you want it - then tighten it up. That includes the flanges at the manifolds.

need more pic's. first it looks like the input pipe to muffler needs to be twisted/turned 180° so the bend is on the upside. it also looks like the muffler is below the rear so if u move it up it'll hit the rear. so more info needed.

How about a pic from the mid pipe forward. Looks like there is a lot of downward slope coming from the exhuast manifolds. Loosen those mani fold clamps and carefully prop up the muffler into the floor cavity. As Hemikiller said it should go up without much pressure. Are you sure you engine/trans are sitting correctly on their front and rear motor mounts?

Where did you get the new kit from? What brand? Is this a single exhaust system? You mention Y pipe, which leads me to believe it is a single. The reason I ask, in your pic showing the new system under the car the intermediate pipe does not look correct. It looks as if there is only one bend down and then back straght where if you look at the original pipe in the first pic and all of the ones I have seen it bends down, a short straight, then back up, and then straight.

need more pic's. first it looks like the input pipe to muffler needs to be twisted/turned 180° so the bend is on the upside. it also looks like the muffler is below the rear so if u move it up it'll hit the rear.  so more info needed.
I agree.  I thought it looked like it needed to rotate 180 degrees but it is really wrong when I tried to rotate it.

It should fit a lot better that this.

The problem is, the old pipe I took off may not have been right either.

I have been looking for a detailed pic of one that is definitely right.

tnx

Back