Sleeve harmonic balancer?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danoreilly

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 351C 4V
02 Deluxe Convertible
67 Fairlane GT 390
Anybody here ever sleeved a harmonic balancer? Mine is badly grooved (71 351c) and a new one is $100 vs about $6 or so for a sleeve. The question is, is this a band-aid approach or something that's really viable for the long term?

Anybody here ever sleeved a harmonic balancer? Mine is badly grooved (71 351c) and a new one is $100 vs about $6 or so for a sleeve. The question is, is this a band-aid approach or something that's really viable for the long term?
Just depends.If you are building a performance,high reving engine I would say buy the new one.If you are doing a stock rebuild you should be OK.There is a guy that rebuilds these,I think its called the Damper Doctor.

The sleeve is not the problem,it is the elastemer(?) that is your concern.It is 35 + years old and can let the balancer start to seperate,thats what you need to watch out for.Just my .02 .Good luck!

I looked up Damper Doctor and they look like they may be the right people, so thanks! I've emailed them so we'll see...

Latest posts

Back