Some Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaheenk

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Grande Coupe
HI Guys, 

Thanks for all the support while rebuilding my 73 Coupe , I had to replace the entire harness with an ez harness so have run into a few issues. I know it would have been easier to use a stock harness, but my car was stripped out and most of the stock harness was cut , the bits that remain are all behind the dash.

SO I have a few questions and hoping to get some input.

1. On the wiper switch , there is a black with white trace wire, I cannot seem to find where this goes off to.

2. On the wiper motor, 4 wires, If I apply power to the blue or white while grounding the unit I get low speed and high speed, what then is the purpose of the black and red wires.

3. The red and black wires on the switch both provide continuity , us one a hot and one a cold , where hot goes off to the ignition switch , why would the red have power as well?

I have removed the seatbelt wiring as I do not have seatbelts which allow for this .

What is the purpose of the 2 wires which come off the speedo cable. Seems to go to another red box which is mounted on the firewall.

I think thats about it for now.

HI Guys, 

Thanks for all the support while rebuilding my 73 Coupe , I had to replace the entire harness with an ez harness so have run into a few issues. I know it would have been easier to use a stock harness, but my car was stripped out and most of the stock harness was cut , the bits that remain are all behind the dash.

1. On the wiper switch , there is a black with white trace wire, I cannot seem to find where this goes off to.

2. On the wiper motor, 4 wires, If I apply power to the blue or white while grounding the unit I get low speed and high speed, what then is the purpose of the black and red wires.

3. The red and black wires on the switch both provide continuity , us one a hot and one a cold , where hot goes off to the ignition switch , why would the red have power as well?

I have removed the seatbelt wiring as I do not have seatbelts which allow for this .

What is the purpose of the 2 wires which come off the speedo cable. Seems to go to another red box which is mounted on the firewall.

Wiper systems are very confusing, so I will only tell you that white/black goes to fused ACC power.

For 73 ignition retard is the red box and the speedo cable 2 wires plus a driver side in the door jam thermostat. All for 73 new E. standards

HI Guys, 

Answers on a post card.

1. Black with white trace does not need to be connected anywhere. I think its related to the washer.

2. Black and red are meant to be for park , in my case connecting them as per the workshop manual the motor keeps running , I left them out. 

3. Possibly for the depressed park , I am not too fussed about it and left them off.

You might want to think about purchasing a copy of the Wiring and Vacuum diagrams manual on CD from Forel Publishing. There is a wealth of information on it. Anyway, this screen capture of the wiper switch and motor from the manual should help.

I have the same manual without the color coding , and when wiring it as per the diagram I get the wipers running all the time .

I have the same manual without the color coding , and when wiring it as per the diagram I get the wipers running all the time .
Could the switch be bad? Do you have a two speed switch or the intermittent switch option?

Two speed from what I can see, its possible the switch is poked as it does not make good contact when cycling through the settings

Back