Spindle Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasFastback

Reaction score
My Car
'72 fastback, 302, Fmx
Hey everything I've read says that the 69 70 mustang spindles are the same as ours. Is this true. Also what other cars besides the cougars would have our spindles.

Hey everything I've read says that the 69 70 mustang spindles are the same as ours. Is this true. Also what other cars besides the cougars would have our spindles.
From what i know they are the same. I am in the process of putting disc up front myself. Cougars are the same too. lots of stuff out there that will work. Granada stuff will bolt right up too. Just all in what you want and can find. I used stuff off of a 72 mustang for my 71 and the only thing that i actually used was the spindles and one backing plate. Eveything else i bought new from a few parts stores fairly cheap. With new rotors, calipers, bearings, seals , hardware, backing plate, pads, and hoses I had around 300 in all of it brand new.

Kevin

The disc brake spindles have two machined pads, with bolt holes in them to mount the brake caliper adapter plate. The drum units do not.

And yes, I believe you can use the earlier disc brake spindles, as long as you replace the tie rod ends with the earlier versions as well.

The disc brake spindles have two machined pads, with bolt holes in them to mount the brake caliper adapter plate. The drum units do not.

And yes, I believe you can use the earlier disc brake spindles, as long as you replace the tie rod ends with the earlier versions as well.
That explains it. I had thought about that after I posted the reply. I was going by both spindals using the same wheel bearings seals etc.... good info.

Hey will 69 t-bird spindles fit?
not sure about the thunder chickens. they were pretty big cars so the ball joints and stuff are probably bigger. doubt they are the same. You need small to medium ford passenger cars. Granada, monarch, maverick, Lincoln versailes. I believe all those will work also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this.

The TBird spindles don't swap onto the Mustang, but the TBirds brakes will bolt onto the Mustang spindles. The adapters the others mentioned are the caliper mounting brackets, which IIRC have the same 4 bolt pattern on the TBird as the backing plate holes on Mustang drum spindles, so if the TBird spindles you have really are complete, you should be able to take the caliper brackets from the TBird spindles and bolt them onto the Mustang spindles. Since you already have these parts, I would at least take the time to disassemble the spindles and try to fit the TBird caliper mounts to your spindles before spending $350 on adapter mounts that you might not need.

These are the same brakes the '70 Boss trans am cars used (11.75" rotor diameter, 1.125" thick) attached to '70 Mustang drum brake spindles. The only issue I'm not sure about is the rotor itself. I believe the TBird rotor uses different bearings than your '66 spindles. The options I can think of to get around that are 1 - get a set of '70-'73 Mustang drum spindles and use '72 TBird rotors (direct bolt on fit) or 2 - if the TBird rotors you have are in good enough shape to use (or you can locate new 2 piece '67-'72 TBird rotors) you can have a machine shop press the wheel studs out to separate the TBird rotors from the hubs and put those rotors on '66 Mustang disc hubs (after the same procedure to remove the rotors from those)

-from vintage-mustang.com

i went thru this whole spindle thing when i did my cobra brakes. now, the drum and disc brake spindles are different.

disc spindle = triangle pattern 3 bolt at the end of the pin

drum spindle = square pattern 4 bolt at the end of the pin

the 70-73 is the most desired spindles because they have thicker pins but require thinner bearings. people like to do these on earliar years and that requires them to use 71-73 mustang outter tie rod ends.

hell, i was going to do www.vintagevenom.com cobra conversion and when i found out that his kit is only for drum spindles, i was going to find any drum spindle that i could find. i could use a 65 mustang drum spindle if needed, i'll just have to use 65 bearings and possibly the outter tie rod end.

instead i found another company that could do a conversion maintaining the factory disc brake spindle.

The Granada, Monarch, Verseille is not as beefy as a spindle as the 71-73 Mustangs disc brake spindles. I am not sure on this I will have to look, I have a set of Granada and 71 Mach spindles in my shed. I also think the caliper is mounted on the front of the spindle on the Granada and the Mustang is in the back.

Back